Old 11 January 2021, 07:12   #1

Make: Elling kB 350
Length: 3m +
Set up and shut down procedures

Hopefully soon I’ll be getting an Elling KB 350 with a tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke outboard. Being totally new to sibbing and any other type of boating I was wondering if any of the members on here if they had time could produce a comprehensive list of what needs to be done from unloading from the car to repacking to put back into the car. Over the past few months I’ve tried to find videos of everything but haven’t found any covering everything. If someone could include silly little things like opening this valve, closing this valve and so on, including the outboard I’d appreciate it very much. I’m sure lots of people that are new would also appreciate it also. I know I could ask at the shop where I’d be buying from, but, there seems to be a lot of things to learn and I’m sure I’d forget something which might seem trivial but could be important. It’d be nice to have a checklist so that when I put to sea I’ll be as worry free as I can be.
Old 11 January 2021, 16:21   #2

Town: Paignton
Make: sunsport
Engine: Mercury 9.9
I'm new to sibbing too, the shop showed me the set up and pack up procedures there is a fair bit to take in, so a quick check guide would be good. I've only been out once and the OB was faulty which has been sorted now.
Old 11 January 2021, 18:45   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Boats to go .com has loads of info a sticky on here, both engine and boat manuals you have will have most of what you need to set up. Plus there's threads with kit lists
Old 12 January 2021, 04:54   #4

I had a look at the boatstogo.com website, I’m sure I’ve looked at that before. Although it gives a lot of very helpful tips it doesn’t actually give a checklist of the procedures to follow not just inflating the boat but attaching the outboard and starting up. As sibfisher said there’s an awful lot to take in in a short time when at the shop. To experienced sibbers setting up and shutting down is a piece of cake to them, but, for total newbies it seems a daunting task to make sure you have everything right. That’s why I thought it’d be very helpful to all newbies to have a checklist to follow. As with everything in life, it’s easy when you know how, but hard if you don’t.
Old 12 January 2021, 05:01   #5

Maybe start to compile your own list, post it on here and let others chip in with anything you have missed.
Old 12 January 2021, 05:43   #6

I would love to. But. I don’t have a sib or outboard yet.
Old 12 January 2021, 06:08   #7

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post
I would love to. But. I don’t have a sib or outboard yet.

Then why not satisfy your need for information by viewing the many unboxing and inflation videos on youtube for sibs, they all pump up/down pretty much the same way, plenty of how to's on fitting transom wheels if thats the way you will be moving it around & how to's for outboards are covered in owners handbooks which can be accessed on line.
If you are still needing knowledge then maybe join a local boat club or take the RYA inshore course.
Visit your local slipway on a nice none lockdown day and watch others getting ready to launch.
Once you have your dinghy, practice setting it all up/down in your garden then if you still need info ask.
Old 12 January 2021, 06:28   #8

If you want to buy an Elling KB350 now with 3yrs warranty and have it delivered to you in 10 days for £1100 then buy from these guys.
https://valciuparduotuve.lt/en/home/...ing-kb350.html
Looks like Boatworld is reluctant to place an order over winter, so it will be spring before they have any stock.
Old 12 January 2021, 07:41   #9

As mentioned above there are loads of videos on youtube, that's what I did. Again as mentioned set it up at home first and visit your local launching point these are what I did. I had the transom wheels fitted by the store before collection. It feels a bit daunting the first trip but it's mostly common sense and following procedures. Obviously make sure you have the correct clothing and lifejacket, your local RNLI will give advice about this.
Old 12 January 2021, 08:08   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
I had a look at the boatstogo.com website, I’m sure I’ve looked at that before. Although it gives a lot of very helpful tips it doesn’t actually give a checklist of the procedures to follow not just inflating the boat but attaching the outboard and starting up. As sibfisher said there’s an awful lot to take in in a short time when at the shop. To experienced sibbers setting up and shutting down is a piece of cake to them, but, for total newbies it seems a daunting task to make sure you have everything right. That’s why I thought it’d be very helpful to all newbies to have a checklist to follow. As with everything in life, it’s easy when you know how, but hard if you don’t.
this forum has way more info than you'll ever need but your jumping the gun if you haven't got a boat or engine yet all the set up info is in the manuals. better to do it than read it too. use the search facility on here and the you tube vids until you buy a boat etc.
Old 12 January 2021, 08:44   #11

I appreciate the comments very much. Not quite what I was thinking but still appreciated.
Oldman 2. I’ve emailed the company to ask how much for delivery to the U.K. as your right about boatworld.
I have looked at videos of unpacking and inflating and also read the manual on the outboard, but as we all know instructions can sometimes be very basic and vague.
I’ve also looked at powerboat courses, as I live in Birmingham I’m miles away from anywhere that has water that a powerboat can be used and as of yet am still trying to find somewhere to not only get the theory, but practical too. Maybe someone on here knows where I might try that would be local to me. Other than that my best course of action would be to do a course in Cornwall which is where I’ll be using the boat, as I’d be able to stay at my brothers place once all this lockdown has ended.
Old 12 January 2021, 08:49   #12

Move to Devon like I have, seriously though if you look up the RYA you should be able to find courses nearest to you. Does Kingsbury waterpark have anything. I did the personal water craft course here in Devon, they would be worth doing, as said the powerboat one would be better for you.
Old 12 January 2021, 08:59   #13

I’ve looked at Kingsbury water park. Their website has no information about power boating. The link they send you to is closed.
When I look at the RYA sites they mention power boat courses but the places they list near me I know for a fact that they don’t do practical courses.
Old 12 January 2021, 09:01   #14

Looks like a trip to your brothers then. What part of Brum you from
Old 12 January 2021, 09:04   #15

http://www.midlandsailingclub.org.uk/
Old 12 January 2021, 09:21   #16

I’m from Solihul. Just on the outskirts of Birmingham. Looked at the link, seems more for sailing than for a powerboat, although looks like they do a powerboat course. But I don’t think it would be a practical one there. I’ve noticed a lot of lakes here in the midlands do not allow powerboats so how they run a course I do not know.
Old 12 January 2021, 09:30   #17

You do know it's not just a power/speed boat, it's a powered boat. Best to ring one up and they will put you right.
Old 12 January 2021, 09:35   #18

I wouldn't have thought you could pass the course without completing the practical side.
Old 12 January 2021, 09:37   #19

Quote:
Oldman 2. I’ve emailed the company to ask how much for delivery to the U.K.

Let us know what they quote you as a delivered price in Pounds. I read elsewhere it was £1100 all in delivered and from stock too.
Old 12 January 2021, 10:01   #20

Sunsport. I was aware of that hahaha
Oldman 2. On the website it says about delivery in Lithuania or collection from their depot on Latvia. I’m still waiting for their reply and will let you know what their response is.