Old 15 January 2021, 12:05   #41

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinking View Post
Like anything, everyone has their own methods but I cannot endorse running your engine dry for anyone new to outboards, many use this forum as a first stop for advice.
I agree, never ever run a water cooled outboard without the water intakes immersed in water. (Or you can use those "ear muffs" on a hose, but they're a bit fiddly.)

An air cooled engine will run "dry" for a short period but it will be much louder and won't run smoothly. Most engines are designed so the water helps to silence the exhaust, and the right depth of water creates waves of back pressure which helps with the 2 stroke cycle. Also, if the prop is spinning (some smaller and older engines have no neutral) it is dangerous.

However, when you come to the end of a day out, turn your fuel off and let the engine "run dry" in the sense of burning off all the fuel in the carburettor float bowl. The engine can run for 2 or 3 minutes with the fuel turned off. You don't want that fuel sitting in the carb turning to gum before you use the engine again.
Old 15 January 2021, 16:29   #42

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Tosh, no one has ever gubbed an impeller by starting and immediately killing outboard. I offer 1 million dollars to anyone that has proof of it happening to them [emoji897]
Old 15 January 2021, 16:41   #43

Town: Paignton
Make: sunsport
Engine: Mercury 9.9
Not sure about an outboard but was taught to check the kill switch on the jetski before launching. Jetskis could be run for a few minutes without any problems but maybe the engines are a bit more robust.
Old 15 January 2021, 17:00   #44

Town: ...
Boat name: none
Make: Honwave 3.5-AE
Engine: Mariner 6hp
Most important list is all the items you need to bring to the launch site. Arriving without the petrol tank can be frustrating
Old 15 January 2021, 17:14   #45

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Whilst you are more than welcome to do whatever you seem fit with your motors, imho this is nonetheless ‘shite’ advice on a thread for those new to sibbing.

Agree testing kill cord on a regular basis is good advice, but surely preferable in a manner offering more mechanical sympathy to the impeller.
Eg: whilst warming up motor on water or even after use whilst flushing.
Old 15 January 2021, 17:53   #46

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
[emoji106]

Thankfully new folk reading this thread will easily see which side the weight of advice is on.

Shall we move on?
Old 15 January 2021, 18:24   #47

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Don't see why you would want to run dry test at home in a bucket then drop engine in the ogin at launch site.
It would be a good test to spin an old impeller in its housing with a drill to see how it lasts
Old 15 January 2021, 20:43   #48

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
Tosh, no one has ever gubbed an impeller by starting and immediately killing outboard. I offer 1 million dollars to anyone that has proof of it happening to them [emoji897]
You may or may not be right about the impeller, if you literally just start then kill the engine once. However, a motor that is designed to run wet will quickly overheat and seize if run dry.

I work for for a company that sells small motors and it's amazing how many warranty claims are refused because customers have "known better than the manual". We see all sorts of damage, and the customers are always surprised.
Old 15 January 2021, 22:58   #49

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Whilst you are more than welcome to do whatever you seem fit with your motors, imho this is nonetheless ‘shite’ advice on a thread for those new to sibbing.

Agree testing kill cord on a regular basis is good advice, but surely preferable in a manner offering more mechanical sympathy to the impeller.
Eg: whilst warming up motor on water or even after use whilst flushing.
New to this thread Chipko, but couldn't agree more. What is the point in risking it, I just can't see the point! I wouldn't try to start the truck without oil in the sump!
Old 16 January 2021, 07:33   #50

Town: Paignton
Make: sunsport
Engine: Mercury 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport350 View Post
Not sure about an outboard but was taught to check the kill switch on the jetski before launching. Jetskis could be run for a few minutes without any problems but maybe the engines are a bit more robust.
Just wanted to add that I dont and wont run my outboard with no water going through but each to their own.