Old 02 August 2019, 14:14   #1

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Boat
Make: Valiant V-450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Etec 40
Same old question which sib

Hi new to the forum but been reading for ages.

I'm 99% sure I want to get into this what I'll call a hobby.

My thought on the Sib I'm sort of liking is an excel vanguard 535.

No particular reason for this I just like the look of it especially the black 1. Also thinking of pairing that with the Tohatsu 4 stroke 30hp..
Would really only be myself and my 15 year old son using it with the odd time the wife and some other family members would ride along.
We have spent a good while on the water in an inflatable kayak. So I'd say we have some knowledge, but not a lot of motorboats.
My main use of this boat would be on the firth of fourth around foirth bridges and maybe a cruise down the east coast. Would a trip to Berwick from Edinburgh be to much for this craft?
I'm also thinking of buying the full setup new.
Is this advisable or should I go used?
A lot of folk on this site advising the Honwave t40 if I'm looking at 4 metres.
Sorry for all the questions, but there's my thoughts .
What say all you.
I'm guessing some sort of seamanship course is advisable as well or is that not required?
Thanks again and yr advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02 August 2019, 15:00   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello and welcome to the forum as a poster.

For two of you a 535 is really overkill. So heavy and unwieldy particularly when a 30hp motor is added it takes away many SIB advantages. I guess you will be putting it on a trailer? Assuming so why not a smallish used RIB for similar money?

You'd find a Honwave T40 (or the Excel alloy floor of that size) roomy and stable feeling enough I reckon. Unless you had some very specific reason to carry a huge load?
Old 02 August 2019, 15:25   #3

Wow that was a quick response. Lol.
I have no particular reason for that choice other than reading that most people say they would have preferred the larger boat.
I would have it on a trailer and storage is not a problem.
The main use of the boat would really be just pottering about , a bit of fun. And a little touring/ fishing.
I'm guessing 30 hp is overkill?
My thoughts were just grow into it rather than buy then wish I had more space/ power.
My house is no further than 500 metres to the water. But still I'd prefer it on trailer .

Thanks for yr quick response and all advice will be taken on board before I pull the trigger.
Old 02 August 2019, 16:31   #4

The folks who quickly upgrade SIB sizes are mostly those who have bought around the 3.0-3.2m size and go up to 3.8-4.0m. Once you get to 4.0m+ there are fewer and fewer folks sibbing… they tend to graduate to a RIB.

Ours is a 43kg 3.8m with lightish 36kg outboard and there are so many instances where we can put it places on a beach , pebble shore or slipway by hand part way through the trip which would be impossible with a 535 weighing 135kg plus 72kg outboard.

If you were attracted to the 535 for your own reasons though then why not... they are a bargain for the size... and then I'd say a 30hp would be about right.

Jeff and Gurnard run larger SIBs around 4m with 25hp motors so their views would be useful and give an alternative to mine.
Old 02 August 2019, 16:37   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I’m with Fenlander on this, purely my opinion, but:- that outfit has all the dis-advantages of a RIB & non of the advantages. And vice-versa, all the disadvantages of a SIB & non of the advantages. It’s heavy, needs trailering, needs a good launch etc. A similar sized RIB would be a much better option imho.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2019, 18:36   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I’d support their views. You might need 30hp for 5m to get the performance you want but then it becomes a major headache to lift on/off the transom.

I have taken a 3.9m (rotomolded boat) from Dalgety Bay to Bass Rock and back on a lovely day. A trip to inchcolm is a good alternative; which works in lumper conditions. Those are trips I did with 20hp but I just upgraded - they were done with 1-4 ppl on board and a (relatively heavy) centre console so you should manage well with 2 on a honwave 3.8 or similar with tiller steering. If I was going to trailer I’d be tempted to look at some of the Aluminium RIBs if budget allowed - very light weight for the size. Alternatively if buying new and looking for a lot of boat for the money - check out some of the polythene alternatives... in tiller steering format they can be cheaper than a sib (but heavier).
Old 02 August 2019, 19:10   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hello mate and welcome over the years I've had them all ribs, Sib'S , fast fishers, Dorys etc , this is only a personnel thing Sib'S for me hold more enjoyment for loads of reasons, I ve had a 5 m sib and it was no different to the 3.65 I own now in terms of launch you need a trailer and aim to float off and on so simple. the smaller sib guys and not knocking them wheel their boats over the beach etc a lot more work unless the boat is very light and small. So if you pick slipways you have no problem if tides are in your favour. The bigger boat ride better for sure 30 hp isn't too big a 40 hp would be my choice only through expeariance for the 5m boat but 30 hp will perform well with your load. I sold my rib and bought new but there are loads of secondhand outfits out there to save money but limited at your size for me new means I know what it's done no hidden surprizes , it just so happens I'm off with gurnard this weekend to circum nav the isle of Jura these little boats are far harder than most give credit.
Old 02 August 2019, 20:40   #8

Thanks for all yr replays. I've also taken advice from a friend albeit he has bayliner 4.3 petrol thing and advised me , not to go down that route, which I wouldn't anyway.
But has offered me ,friend of a friend a zodiac nautic cadet. I am being told 3.25 metre sib I believe with air deck to try/ buy . But I do not have the chance to just try it it's buy only offer. It comes with a 6hp 2 stroke Yamaha possibly.
Wasn't really my intentions but do I have that much to lose buying it.

On offer for £700.

Is it worth a try?
Keep in mind I've came from an inflatable kayak. Which I enjoyed .
So is this worth me wetting my feet with then update when I'm ready?

Has fuel tank, those wheel things and being told serviced.

Again any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 02 August 2019, 20:52   #9

You won't do long distances with that as it will feel a bit small and not have the speed you would want but if it's tidy and the OB runs well then at that price it will get you an idea of a SIB on the water and you can sell on without any/much loss to upgrade when needed.
Old 02 August 2019, 21:47   #10
dek

Town: bournemouth
Boat name: n/a
Make: bombard
Engine: outboard
Sib

Hi Scomich welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice has been given and i am sure you have taken it all on board.Should you be interested I have the ideal package available to you an excel volaire 3.9 metre with a Tohatsu 15 hp 4 stroke efi engine. All purchased 4 weeks ago and used twice.Can give you lots more detail if of interest. Package price with loads of extras £3400. Sorry if anybody thinks i have hijacked this post but I think it fits the requirements of scomich.
Old 02 August 2019, 21:52   #11

>>>excel volaire 3.9 metre

Interesting... we need some feedback on this SIB model on here. It has a floor concept that interests me and there is very little feedback on it from experienced sibbers.
Old 03 August 2019, 05:51   #12

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dek View Post
Hi Scomich welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice has been given and i am sure you have taken it all on board.Should you be interested I have the ideal package available to you an excel volaire 3.9 metre with a Tohatsu 15 hp 4 stroke efi engine. All purchased 4 weeks ago and used twice.Can give you lots more detail if of interest. Package price with loads of extras £3400. Sorry if anybody thinks i have hijacked this post but I think it fits the requirements of scomich.
Why are you selling it so soon after purchase
Old 03 August 2019, 07:30   #13
dek

Town: bournemouth
Boat name: n/a
Make: bombard
Engine: outboard
Excel Volaire

Hi Bigplums only selling as we soon realised we are to blinking geriatric for this type of boat 66 and 62 . The airfloor is amazing fully intergrated with the hull and nice and solid.She gets on the plane with ease and handles a treat.

Think our next boat will be a gentlemans Launch !
Old 03 August 2019, 09:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dek View Post
Hi Bigplums only selling as we soon realised we are to blinking geriatric for this type of boat 66 and 62 ....

Think our next boat will be a gentlemans Launch !

Welcome to the club!

I found the SIB became a bit too uncomfortable in any chop.
Old 03 August 2019, 10:03   #15

I'm 63 and still unaffected by anything the sea can throw at me but care needed around moving the outboard. Mrs F retires in just over 2yrs and she is pushing for something with live aboard facilities then. That's a slippery slope I've watched my father negotiate in the past so I'm wary but we do look at stuff when passing through the moorings to see what might suit.

In many ways I'd rather live near/nearer the sea with a smallcraft than be our current 100mls away and have a live aboard.
Old 03 August 2019, 12:15   #16

I must be getting soft but I like a little shelter and somewhere to make a cup of tea while out at sea these days. Makes longer days out more appealing.
Old 03 August 2019, 13:16   #17

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
I must be getting soft but I like a little shelter and somewhere to make a cup of tea while out at sea these days. Makes longer days out more appealing.
You need both in my opinion a sib type craft and one with a cabin like this where we have a brew up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baloo.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	130316  
Old 03 August 2019, 16:28   #18

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
If a Sib will be your first watercraft, why don't you go straight to a medium size Rib. Usually you go from a Sib to a Rib, after that move won't like Sibs any more...

Happy Boating
Old 03 August 2019, 19:25   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
If a Sib will be your first watercraft, why don't you go straight to a medium size Rib. Usually you go from a Sib to a Rib, after that move won't like Sibs any more...
I'm not sure that progression is necessarily true any more. SIBs have improved a lot, without pricing rising the way RIBs have. RIBs = bigger engine = more cost (to buy and run), but its clear to me that, certainly in the UK, there is a small but growing community of people doing big trips in small boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
In many ways I'd rather live near/nearer the sea with a smallcraft than be our current 100mls away and have a live aboard.
must be the time of year... those sort of conversations have happened here too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
you need to buy a flask!
Old 03 August 2019, 22:21   #20

Right guys most likely made a mistake here but hey ho it's only money. Lol.

I took the offer of the zodiac nautic 325. Air v hull floor now that's probably the wrong way of saying it .

It has a 6 hp Yamaha 2 stroke seen it running pumping water. And seemingly serviced a year ago. With only a few hours running on the water.
Boat needed a little clean which I've done to the best of my ability. And I think it's looking great.
Guy was an elderly gentleman that has recently had back surgery. So hence no more boating.
He supplied the wheels to carry across beach. Oars. 2 stroke oil unopened. Foot pump. 240 pump,.12 v pump.
A foldable.anchor.
And his phone number if I need any info. Don't think I could ask anymore of.him. lol.

I'll see if I can post pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190803-WA0002.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	130331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190803-WA0006.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	130332  

Tags