Old 06 August 2019, 10:15   #61

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Boat
Make: Valiant V-450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Etec 40
Ok Fenlander I will get on that maybe go see the guy down the road with whole outboard today, If he can refurb then all good if not i will just replace, He has also offered to do full service for £90.00 albeit I think I am capable of that. But I might just get him to do it, Peace of mind.
Old 06 August 2019, 10:27   #62

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I don't know of any outboard mechanic that can refurb props because they need putting on a jig to correct the blade shape and pitch then balancing etc after alloy welding and grinding to shape.

So if he offers to tidy it up a bit without the proper setting gear I'd just get a new one.
Old 06 August 2019, 10:32   #63

Ok new 1 it is, is this prop still safe to use until new 1 arrives even at half throttle? Or am i just better awaiting arrival of new 1 when i source it. was gonna go out again today if weather clears up . I'm addicted, even at the slow pace we go. lol.

Pottering about i call it.
Old 06 August 2019, 10:39   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
That's not good I'm afraid... refurb £47 plus post plus your post to them and about 10 days turnaround...

https://www.steeldevelopments.net/pr...r-service.html

Or...

OE replacement £78...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Ge...EAAOSwVYtb3Ang

Budget replacement £45 (note a 7.5" pitch, they do that or an 8.5" but not an 8")…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Ou...gAAOSwSBhbtgKP

I had just found the 8.5x8.5" same seller on ebay and was gonna ask the question but you have already answered the question. lol
Old 06 August 2019, 10:44   #65

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Why not nip up and see Davy Anderson in Dundee he will be able to supply you a prop & he will also know the definitive answer on upgrading from 6 to 8hp. A great guy to deal with and well worth getting to know seeing as your only a few miles down the road. Be a good source of an upgrade engine when your ready too.
Posts here on the forum as Davie
Old 06 August 2019, 21:30   #66

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Poly,

Although Sibs have improved a lot, better material, hull shape, whatever, remains and works exact same. I've owned (3) 320-330-340 Sibs and Oh boy what a different water performance difference when switched to a low board 330 Rib powered with same motor. A day/night boating difference in all aspects.

These owned same size 330 Mt. Sib, Rib inflatables have nothing to do with each other, the Rib water performance wins by way far. Ask any small/medium size Rib owner if will switch to a same size Sib after ribbing nicely with a Rib.

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240558.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	130380   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190441.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	130381  
Old 07 August 2019, 08:29   #67

Hey guys another rubbish day in Edinburgh so new prop ordered just went the oem 1.
Fenlander as mentioned about the trim. And what hole to set it on . Upon further inspection I have the bolt on the far right hole, which I suspect is a permanent fixture as its a nut and bolt . But no adjustable locking pin that could be moved without tools on the water. So I suspect I'm missing this pin or whatever you call it.
I have contacted the old guy that it was bought from and he has said no idea. Also told me when he used the outfit it was never much above tick over.
Also said the boat was mainly used for safety when workers were working on a bridge or similar above water. Didn't know that was a safety requirement given harnesses and such . But hey ho . Some history of its use. Lol
Old 07 August 2019, 08:32   #68

Can you upload an image of the tilt pin/bolt in place as it is now?

I assume you mean you have the "bolt" that is part of the saddle construction keeping it spaced at the bottom but no tilt pin at all?? If so you are more that one position past the nearest intended one to the transom... it should go loads better when you get a pin and find the best posn for it either side of middle.

Do you mean you splashed out on the Yamaha OE 8" at £78?
Old 07 August 2019, 08:59   #69

Edit: Something I forgot to query... I think in earlier posts we established you did have or were getting a pump with gauge? Are you sure the whole SIB but air floor in particular is up to pressure... that is really important to stop prop ventilation.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I missed that question yeah I did buy the pump. I use the 12 volt to get it pumped up until I'm touch happy. But it can't even get near the required air floor psi, then use the hand pump to get it to correct pressure. The derlin valve plastic screw in on the air floor seems to have been cross threaded at 1 point, but still seals, looks.very much like a Boston valve which I have. But it's different size, so I've just ordered a new
one of those as well
Old 07 August 2019, 09:02   #70

Yeah bought new prop actually 87 quid delivered . Lol
Old 07 August 2019, 09:04   #71

Pic of no tilt bolt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190807_100317.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	130395  
Old 07 August 2019, 09:30   #72

Re the cost of OE Yamaha props compared with budget aftermarket... the Yamaha ones are much better made regarding blade thickness and casting consistency plus they seem more accurate on pitch. I've just gone through prop choice testing and in the end decided to keep the two Yamaha OE ones.

If I'm thinking of the mechanism correctly without that trim rod your outboard might jump up out of the water when you open the throttle in reverse unless the reverse lock is able to grab the "bolt"??

There are three main trim rod types on sub 20hp older Yamahas depending on model/year. They are probably all the same dia and length but I'd check out with a dealer for your serial number... or just get a stainless bolt of correct dia/length with locking nut which is a bit more faff setting up but once set you rarely need to change the trim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yamaha tilt rod basic.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	130396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha tilt rod alt.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	130397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha tilt rod mine.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	130398  
Old 07 August 2019, 10:18   #73

I'll try source 1 or something similar,. So as happy as I am with the way the outfit was going albeit just pottering about, you reckon it's gonna go a whole lot better ? Within reason for the hp I've got.
I was told and have seen the lost outboard thing on YouTube. I do have the fitting on the transom. And I do use a small chain with padlock , whether that is advised or not? But long enough to let it clear the boat. But sure the kill cord would kill the power anyway. The kill cord does work and we test when in water before we set off.
I wasn't fussed on the price of the prop, rather just have it all right and even then I'll get something wrong. Lol.
Kayaked for years and on some rivers that I'd done before which I thought no problem. I Mucked it up. Then a complete novice would come down and complete it no problem. That's life eh. Lol.
Old 07 August 2019, 10:40   #74

>>>you reckon it's gonna go a whole lot better ? Within reason for the hp I've got.

With the outboard pushing right into the transom usually that would cause the outboard to try and lift the stern and push the bow into the water also losing prop thrust and causing drag on the AV plate. Certainly when I accidentally had it set like that on mine the other week it ruined the feel of the outfit.
Old 07 August 2019, 15:05   #75

>>>I was told and have seen the lost outboard thing on YouTube. I do have the fitting on the transom. And I do use a small chain with padlock , whether that is advised or not? But long enough to let it clear the boat.

I've seen convincing arguments both for a safety rope that's so short the outboard can't come off the transom (in theory)... or for a longer one so it will fall behind rather than risk coming in the boat but still be recoverable.

I've been bolting my outboard on for the past 4yrs o don't use the safety rope but when I did the rope was 60-70cm long.

Here is an example of one...

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/eng...All%20Products
Old 07 August 2019, 16:54   #76

Mines is slightly longer at 1.2 metres but the exact same.
Again forgot to mention but seller supplied it. And told me what it was for.
Old 08 August 2019, 14:58   #77

Well went down road to see my friendly boat engine guy and he sold me the first pic of the trim pin for 10 quid. He's showed me how to refill gear oil. But said just bring it down and he will check and change for nothing. Nice old guy. Happy at that. Now awaiting prop. Cracking day as well. Could have been out. Maybe time yet. Even with the beat up prop. Lol.
Old 08 August 2019, 15:06   #78

He has a mariner 15 hp but needing serviced and head gasket I think he said, told me I can have a wee blast of it when it's rebuilt. Given what you fenlander said i.e weight. And given it being the right price should I consider buying this once had a shot and all fixed up? Ok I know the boat says 10 hp but it's capable of the weight.
Again this is all if its a reasonable price.
Consider some sort of tradein?
Or just buy outright and keep the wee Yamaha
I'm totally surprised how quiet the yamaha Is when just pottering about.
Old 08 August 2019, 16:17   #79

>>>He has a mariner 15 hp

Great engines, light for their horsepower. My personal experience was that a 15hp exposed the limitations of the air floor (undulating and prop slip) even when it was set up properly.

I'd grab the chance of a trial just to see how you liked the feel of the extra power but take a long think of perhaps using this bargain outfit as a first experience and getting a slightly bigger outfit next.
Old 08 August 2019, 16:33   #80

Ok I'll take yr advice on that 1. I'm enjoying doing what we are doing at the moment I'm in no great rush. Bit I'll grab the opportunity to see what it's like and take it from they're. Thanks again.

Tags
sib