Old 08 July 2018, 20:50   #1

Town: Cambridge
Make: Bombard DB 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90HP carb
Outboard in a car boot

I sold my RIB and I thought that I can get a smallish SIB to see me through the period of no boat. Having read lots on Ribnet it will most likely be a 2nd hand Honwave 27 with inflatable floor - I have to be able to manage everything on my own, so Aerotec is probably out of the question.

Question: how do you transport engines in your cars, without making too much mess in the car and without too many petrol/oil smells? Any difference (apart from weight) between 2-strokes and 4-strokes in transport?
Old 08 July 2018, 21:00   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Unless you are thinking of an old Seagull an OB in decent condition will not make an mess. I do just put a cheap tarp down on the carpet first then an old blanket in case of spills but never really had any.

BTW as I have found on a slightly testing holiday it's not so much the Aerotec that is a problem but the OB and its fuel once you move up the HP.
Old 08 July 2018, 21:14   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Unless you are thinking of an old Seagull an OB in decent condition will not make an mess. I do just put a cheap tarp down on the carpet first then an old blanket in case of spills but never really had any.

BTW as I have found on a slightly testing holiday it's not so much the Aerotec that is a problem but the OB and its fuel once you move up the HP.

If you put a four stroke in on the wrong side it can leak! Don’t ask how I know! Easily avoided by reading the manual when you get it home!

I’d also not be keen to lie my autolube 2 stroke down with the oil tank full, although it may be fine.
Old 09 July 2018, 05:46   #4

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
4 strokes usually have a "This side up" label. In my case, the engine lies on its side with the tiller on the boot floor. It's a stable position and it won't leak if it's on the correct side.

Over the years, I've transported 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines in a variety of cars. On a long trip on a hot day, you may smell the petrol, especially if you forget to close the vent on the tank. On a very hot day, it's wise to release some of the pressure (vent the tank) each time you stop.

Back in the day, I used to do weekend diving trips tot he coast and sleep in the car. I always left the tank outside the car overnight.

However, transporting the engine in the car is not a problem.
Old 09 July 2018, 07:47   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I regularly carry outboards in my car, both four stroke and two stroke, and not had any oil spills or major mess.

They all leak a little seawater which dribbles out the cooling channels so its best to place them on a tarp or large plastic bag.

In my own experience ... they all give off a little petrol smell .. especially when Im bringing them home as I don’t run the carbs dry when landing. I don’t seem to get the fumes on the way to the sea as I run the carbs dry after flushing the OB in a bucket after a days use.

The four stroke I carry is a Yamaha 6HP .. Yamahas have the advantage over many other 4 strokes in that they can be laid on all three positions (Sides)

It would be very awkward to place on the fourth side which would allow oil to run into the head ... as that position has the round carry handle on it. Worth considering if you have still to get an OB ? If you remember which way to lay the other brands of OB ..its not a problem either

Hope that helps some
Old 09 July 2018, 07:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
On a long trip on a hot day, you may smell the petrol, especially if you forget to close the vent on the tank. On a very hot day, it's wise to release some of the pressure (vent the tank) each time you stop.
Having thought about this (and petrol smell-management) a roofbox could be useful. Has anyone tried storing the engine (and a fuel tank) in the roofbox? If I think about all four of us going on hols, and if we were to take a SIB then a roofbox might be useful anyway.

Hmmm... I now have, in front of my eyes, remains of a roofbox after ignition of petrol vapour on a hot day ;-)

Quote:
Back in the day, I used to do weekend diving trips tot he coast and sleep in the car. I always left the tank outside the car overnight.
I hear you... ;-) these times won't come back for me for at least another 10-12 years. Kids need to grow up first.
Old 09 July 2018, 10:15   #7
RIBnet admin team

How big is the engine? How tall is the car? Some are hard enough to lift in and out a car without twisting your back never mind getting above shoulder height - it not the dead weight that is the issue it is the awkwardness.

Worth considering too what your roof bars are rated to. Many are 45 or 50kg. That includes the cross bars, the box and its contents. Personally I’d think it is easier to put the low density stuff like sleeping bags, life jackets etc up there.
Old 09 July 2018, 10:20   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Yep, I wouldn't even attempt to put an outboard in a roof box, for exactly the reasons Poly outlined.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 July 2018, 10:43   #9

Of course you could get one of the all over zip up outboard covers. I have one for my old Mariner 4hp. It's more of a rubberised coating than canvas and with a strong plastic zip it would seal most smells/fluids.

Agree re top box… totally not the place for an OB unless perhaps a tiny 2hp.
Old 09 July 2018, 11:14   #10

OK, ok, I think I got the message on the roofbox option - thanks! (last time I manhandled an outboard was 15 years ago).
Car is reasonably big, A6 Avant with ALU rails (but I didn't yet check the ratings for the roofbox) - but surprisingly has much less boot space than the old trusty Mondeo.

Quote:
Of course you could get one of the all over zip up outboard covers. I have one for my old Mariner 4hp. It's more of a rubberised coating than canvas and with a strong plastic zip it would seal most smells/fluids.
Interesting, thanks. So if I run the carb dry, then this might just work. I think I'll just have to give it a try and find a suitable outfit.

When looking for engines, 4-strokes have one (or three if it's a Yamaha) side to put them on. Normal 2-strokes, with empty carb, should go in any orientation without spillage dramas. How about autolube 2-strokes? Are these prone to oil spillage, or maybe these don't exist in the 6hp (2.7m SIB) range?
Old 09 July 2018, 11:33   #11

I thought autolube was just on larger models... none of my many 2-strokes 20hp and below have ever had it. Anyway any seller will know.

One general rule for all... even the lay any way 2-strokes... is never have the prop higher than the powerhead.
Old 09 July 2018, 12:41   #12

Quote:
I thought autolube was just on larger models... none of my many 2-strokes 20hp and below have ever had it.
Thanks - I wasn't sure if technology moved forward there or not, I never had an autolube OB. One less thing to worry about.

Quote:
One general rule for all... even the lay any way 2-strokes... is never have the prop higher than the powerhead.
Now you've made me curious: is it remains of fuel getting where shouldn't, damage to carb's float in upside down position, gearbox oil seeping through, remains of water getting into the cylinders via the exhaust, can't think of any other possible reasons?
Old 09 July 2018, 12:59   #13

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
There is absolutely no way I would put an outboard in a roof box. It is a heavy, hard item that would (a) affect the balance of the car if the weight was carried high (b) probably exceed the design limits of the roof box (c) probably bounce about and damage the roof box as well as itself and (d) be difficult to lift up there and get down.

I might consider putting an empty fuel tank up there, but not one with petrol in it. Weight carried high has more effect, and weight sloshing about is a bad thing.

I have carried a rolled up inflatable hull on roof bars. I have carried a 15 hp 2 stroke in the back of a Citroen AX (about the size of a Metro) along with all the other boat equipment and 2 lots of scuba gear and still had room for 1 passenger.
Old 10 July 2018, 07:06   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
I thought autolube was just on larger models... none of my many 2-strokes 20hp and below have ever had it. Anyway any seller will know.

My 20hp has autolube. I have seen 15hp engines advertised with it (although sellers descriptions could mean something totally different).
Old 10 July 2018, 08:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
There is absolutely no way I would put an outboard in a roof box. It is a heavy, hard item that would (a) affect the balance of the car if the weight was carried high (b) probably exceed the design limits of the roof box (c) probably bounce about and damage the roof box as well as itself and (d) be difficult to lift up there and get down.
I agree with stability concerns, I think the most difficult thing to do is to actually putting the OB into the roofbox without scraping paint from the car - so that might be a no-goer. OB sizes that I'm thinking about should be OK weight-wise to be mounted in the roofbox (my understanding is that roofboxes are rated usually for 50-60kg, which is approx. double the OB weight). Of course the OB would have to be strapped/screwed/wedged so it doesn't bounce - that would have unpleasant consequences. Right, looks like stuff for A6 is rated to 75kg - it's like having a person sat on the roof ;-)

Quote:
I might consider putting an empty fuel tank up there, but not one with petrol in it. Weight carried high has more effect, and weight sloshing about is a bad thing.
I agree regarding weight, but the 50kg/60kg rating of the roofbox is for a reason - one should be able to load that much without upsetting dynamics too much. For the tank - make sure it's full and sloshing will be minimized (only free 20% area of air to slosh, on a 12L tank should be OK).

Quote:
I have carried a rolled up inflatable hull on roof bars. I have carried a 15 hp 2 stroke in the back of a Citroen AX (about the size of a Metro) along with all the other boat equipment and 2 lots of scuba gear and still had room for 1 passenger.
We're four (2+2), so can't really fold back seats to create more space. All of holiday kit (and she always takes loads!) has to fit in the boot. I'm trying to preempt complaints of petrol smell and thinking about moving smelly things outside. It would have been easier with a saloon, these have better airflow separation between the boot and the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
My 20hp has autolube. I have seen 15hp engines advertised with it (although sellers descriptions could mean something totally different).
I'm trawling all of the usual websites for a nice airfloor with a 2-stroke, unfortunately so far hasn't seen anything interesting - so no autolube spillage to worry about just yet ;-)

I guess if/when I buy the SIB and the OB, it will become obvious if it's possible for me to lift the OB head-high - if not then this is a theoretical dicsussion anyway. I will then probably go down the route of outboard-bag and probably put the SIB in the roofbox (that would be a way to avoid making too much mess in the boot).

Off to EBay/Gumtree, will report back with a successful purchase!
Old 10 July 2018, 08:46   #16

I thought you would have more room in an A6 estate. I have a 5-series estate. My holiday pack is tight and using every nook and cranny will get the following in the loadspace without folding seats…

3.8m air floor, 20hp OB, 25l tank, 2x 5l cans, large transom wheels, 4 lifejackets, tool kit, 3x dry bags, large bag with anchor/ropes etc, waterproofs, electronics, binocs, cameras, Bravo pump.

That just leaves room to pack our own clothes etc for two weeks in soft bags (no hard cases).

However it is such a tight pack we only need to take the dog with his blankets, food, bowls, travel water etc plus the outboard trolley and that pushes us to put the topbox on.

Petrol smell isn't an issue with empty tanks/cans in bin liners placed towards the rear of the loadspace just using a little sense such as leaving the tailgate up 10mins before leaving... modern climate systems seem to very efficiently push air through the car all the time when its running so never a smell while on the move.

Tags
outboard