Old 03 July 2018, 14:15   #1

Town: BUXTON
Boat name: Seadog
Make: Zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 50
Zodiac Futura mk 2 Engine height

Hi,
I have a question regarding engine height on my Zodiac Mk 2 with and 50hp etec engine.
I have attached a couple of photos to show the current mounting position (second hole up) with the AV plate just below the keel (a bit higher than the lowest part of the speed tubes either side)
Is this too low do you think? Im getting about 30 knts at WOT with a 17 pitch prop, revs are about 5500/ 5600 fully loaded (higher with just me in the boat) all fully inflated to just over 3 PSI
When I trim the engine out at WOT i dont get any ventilation until im well into the 'tilt' part of the travel. I was hoping to get a bit more speed out of the boat and maybe try a 19p prop if i can get a few more revs.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180703_143839.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	125655   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180703_143855.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	125656  
Old 03 July 2018, 17:40   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Cav plate should be about 1" below the lowest point.

Note : The top plate is a splash plate...the bottom plate above the prop is the cav plate.

Bottom line, I'd raise it one hole and give it a try. You'll probably gain 2-3 knots top speed, but it'll be more inclined to blow out and cavitate during tight turns and in choppy conditions.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2018, 21:40   #3

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
I've got this!

I just set mine up last month. I have a 2014 Futura mk2 and a etec 60hp 2018
I played with the engine height and the "speed tubes" really make the right hole a compromise. If you mount it all the way down at low speed you get the waterfall when in chop under the tilt tube. It splashes thru the gap with force. But in this position at speed it works great once you get up on the speed tubes. In this top hole position you also have more trim adjustment before prop ventilation. If you raise it one hole then low speed doesn't splash under the tilt tube much. But trim is much less before the prop sucks air when lifted up on the speed tubes.
My top speed at WOT seems the same in both positions but Ive only had my boat out with me in it. And my 13 X 17p prop is going to be just right when I have company. Solo perhaps a 18p-19P would be better. I'm guessing my motors rpm limiter might be making both heights the same speed 6,000 rpm +37mph. Time to top speed 5-6 sec (estimated).
For me, I have my motor all the way down (top hole) and under the motors tilt tube is a flat surface. I contact cemented a 1/2" high 1" wide strip of NEOPRENE rubber that fills the gap and stops the waterfall when in chop at lower speed. You could glue it the the transom but I preferred putting it on the motor.
Your going to love your boat with your new motor. I had a 40hp 4 stroke and my boat felt like it was sticking to the water. Now with the 2 stroke its extreamly responsive.
In case your not the original poster but reading this info- My first try at powering this boat was a mercury 40 hp 4 stroke was mounted on the 3rd hole. So info above is for the evenrude etec 40-50-60 hp.
Old 10 July 2018, 07:51   #4

Town: BUXTON
Boat name: Seadog
Make: Zodiac futura
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 50
Hi,
thanks for the replies, I think i will leave it as is on the second hole for now as I know it gives decent performance, I will try raising it though at some point and post the results up on here for anyone with a similar set up to see.
cheers

Jon

Tags
zodiac