Old 10 March 2012, 16:41   #1

Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honwave 35
Make: honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 10hp tiller
non inflating honwave - confused!!

Greetings!

Just picked up a new honwave 35 and honda 20hp tiller. Nice little setup.

Issue. It would be really nice to use the boat actually on the water - but I am SURE it needs inflating!

Foot pump supplied has 2 outputs, low and high pressure. Instructions say pump up to half pressure with the low pressure.... then you guessed it.... change the hose over to high pressure and complete.

Brilliant. I can do that I thought.

However.... the low pressure port is always open, so changing the hose to high pressure and pumping just results in a lot of air exiting the low pressure hole. No blank plug, no change over valve, nothing at all. Oh dear. That's not going to work.

Phoned Viking Marine in goole who I bought it from a few days ago, useless. They are a new honda dealer and insulted my intelligence by reading the same pointless paragraph from the manual that I had (surprisingly) already read. They confessed to not knowing how to inflate it, didnt have a clue and they would ring honda after the weekend. I didnt even get any instructions from them, had to get them off the net. When I asked where the instructions were they said "Arent they in the box?" Well I never! I would have never thought of looking in the box! No, they are not in the bleeping box!!!!!

To say I feel ripped off is an understatement. Absolutely no support at all from the dealer, clearly honda dont give them any training or product familiarisation at all. God forbid I get an engine problem....

Does anyone know how to blow this boat up other than with dynamite????

Any help appreciated. thank you.

cheers

Matt
Old 10 March 2012, 17:04   #2

Town: preston
Boat name: europa
Make: europa
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 outboard
have you tried turning the middle of the valve on the boat ,some valves you can lock open to help with deflating
Old 10 March 2012, 17:26   #3

Town: Oakland CA
If it's like my old Bravo s-stage pump, there are 2 separate bellows in the unit. The larger one is the LP section, and from what you say, it works OK. The HP section is inside the LP chamber, a smaller chamber (essentially giving you a larger mechanical advantage.) While using the HP section, the LP section is vented so it's not working against you (In truth, the opposite is true as well, but the HP output volume is so small that you don't notice.)

Connect the HP section, take the hose and close it off with the palm of your hand, and stomp on it. You should feel air coming out. If not, the HP side is screwed.

Enjoy the boat;

jky
Old 10 March 2012, 17:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa View Post
have you tried turning the middle of the valve on the boat ,some valves you can lock open to help with deflating
I can;t even get the thing to inflate with that pump, deflating is a dream away!!!!
Old 10 March 2012, 17:31   #5

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
That sounds right.
Pushing the pin in and turning it will lock the valve open but why don't you remove the hose from the valve before you switch to the other port on the pump? That way when you remove the hose the valve should close, if it doesn't then you probably have the pin pushed in and twisted Locking the valve open.
Hope this helps.
Old 10 March 2012, 17:32   #6

thank you I will try as directed.

I can't help but surmise that this is not a bad boat, which is supplied with a practical joke pump. Shame on a name like honda. It is enough of a pain in the rear that I can honestly say I would not have bought the boat.

How it will ever get up to high pressure I don't know, none of the valves seal properly, and leak air like mad once up to the higher range of the low pressure side.

I don't think this bodes well....

thanks for the pointer.
Old 10 March 2012, 17:34   #7

no no no, the problem I have is nothing coming out of the higher pressure side of the pump. Or if it is coming out it is so slow that it is beyond the means of human senses to detect it.

!
Old 10 March 2012, 17:38   #8

Ok, just ran outside and got the pump.

put my hand over the low pressure outlet.

Put my full body weight (hey I know I need to lost half a stone) on the pump and guess what came out of the high pressure side......

Not a thing. Pump stayed inflated except for a squeek of air under the palm of my hand.

Oh dear. What total junk. Very disappointed.
Old 11 March 2012, 03:52   #9

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
In order to really enjoy setting up and using your new boat maybe a nice electric pump from Bravo is in order? Would make filling much easier.
Old 11 March 2012, 07:42   #10

I really resent having no option but to pay £150 for an additional item because the one supplied doesnt work.

I don't think this is going to end well, I have tried the pump again and cannot even get a good seal between the hose and the boat...so I have little hope of ever inflating the piece of junk.

It has been an expensive mistake.
Old 11 March 2012, 08:01   #11

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
This does not sound like a tricky one to sort.
I would take it back, give them the pump and get them to pump it up, if it is a faulty pump, they will swap it under warranty?
Old 11 March 2012, 08:23   #12

Hi Ian.

I take your point.

I shouldn't have these issues on a new package, the dealer should have an answer and they don't so I have zero support from them, I am concerned that some of the valves don't seat properly (don't ask me what I do for a living), and I am no nearer getting on to the water than I was before I had paid the money.

We have other boats, a Zodiac, Orkney 20 and a brand new shetland 14 so it's not our first rodeo, so if we're struggling I do believe that this boat is not very good quality.

All of our boats get a lot of use, and I don't believe that in six months of being inflated weekly, (assuming we ever get it inflated) it will be good for anything at all.

Thanks to everyone for their kind advice. Enjoy the sunshine.

Matt
Old 11 March 2012, 08:29   #13

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Honda done make the Honwave , its made by Sun inflatables in Deepest china,ive only ever owned one and it was really good. Just get a new pump sorted, take the aforemention advice and get a Bravo electric one, Dial in the pressure and stand back and watch

Quote:
the low pressure port is always open, so changing the hose to high pressure and pumping just results in a lot of air exiting the low pressure hole. No blank plug
It could be that in the original pump that the rubber one way disc has been dislocated in the outlet. hence not sealing..
Old 11 March 2012, 08:42   #14

thanks Matt H.

If there wasn't a pump supplied, and that's how the package was sold then I would have obviously bought a pump along with the other kit.

It has been sold with a pump which isn't fit for the job so there's no way I'm shelling out 150 squid just to get the dealer out of meeting their obligation if you see what I mean.

I don't mind using a foot pump, we use one with the Zodiac - but the one with the zodiac
1. seals
2. works

cheers

Matt

p.s. taking the shetland out today, that doesnt need inflating!
Old 11 March 2012, 10:10   #15

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalm View Post
Hi Ian.

I take your point.

I shouldn't have these issues on a new package, the dealer should have an answer and they don't so I have zero support from them, I am concerned that some of the valves don't seat properly (don't ask me what I do for a living), and I am no nearer getting on to the water than I was before I had paid the money.

We have other boats, a Zodiac, Orkney 20 and a brand new shetland 14 so it's not our first rodeo, so if we're struggling I do believe that this boat is not very good quality.

All of our boats get a lot of use, and I don't believe that in six months of being inflated weekly, (assuming we ever get it inflated) it will be good for anything at all.

Thanks to everyone for their kind advice. Enjoy the sunshine.

Matt
I would accept that this should not happen to a new package but not ever thing is perfect, even when new, hence new items having a warranty. Not all problems can be sorted over the phone so I would still recommend taking it back and give them a chance to put it right
Old 11 March 2012, 10:34   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharlot

I would accept that this should not happen to a new package but not ever thing is perfect, even when new, hence new items having a warranty. Not all problems can be sorted over the phone so I would still recommend taking it back and give them a chance to put it right
The man talks sense. If there is a fault they can't fix it on the phone anyway. If you are doing something silly they can't see that either. Perhaps Honda's new dealer training should be better - but its also unlikely that everyone at the dealer would have been trained either, and you might have to wait till office hours to get to the guy who has blown one up before. Taking it back will also let them see if there is a problem with valve seating... or they just need tightened / rotated / inflated to high pressure to seal etc...

If there is a fault with the pump and no replacement in stock you might even be able to negotiate a deal on a better pump. Although I'd still hazard a guess that operator error will be part of the issue.
Old 11 March 2012, 11:10   #17
RIBnet Supporter

I reckon the pump got a fatal knock when it was tossed out of the pram with the other toys...

Old 11 March 2012, 16:03   #18

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

not meant to be working but we are honda dealers and we sell lots of them without any problems so why dont you give us a call tomorrow and we will get you sorted out.

Oh please ask for Cameron as I am out all day with a client.
Old 11 March 2012, 16:22   #19

Town: chesterfield
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I reckon the pump got a fatal knock when it was tossed out of the pram with the other toys...

Old 11 March 2012, 18:31   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Hi

not meant to be working but we are honda dealers and we sell lots of them without any problems so why dont you give us a call tomorrow and we will get you sorted out.

Oh please ask for Cameron as I am out all day with a client.
not my problem, and not his, but thats a fine offer.
re-affirms my faith in the members on here.

I had a Honwave 3.8 - liked it a lot. Never had a problem with any Bravo foot pump either including the one it was supplied with (it is a Bravo right?). That aside, I rapidly discovered the joys of the 150 quid high pressure Bravo electric pump, its not such a crazy notion, although I appreciate you want a working foot pump.
Hope you get it sorted tomorrow.