Old 03 March 2022, 12:23   #41

Town: Wyboston, Bedford
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>One thing that inspires confidence though is the fact that most of these are sold to the rescue services.

If so fair enough perhaps re fast onsite setup and build quality... but bear in mind mainly used for drifting about at slow speed looking for stuff. So behaviour/handling on longer trips and the sea in particular will not be part of their remit.
Yes to be considered.

All I have seen really is the video's from Stephen and a couple on the Excel website. I will of course be taking advice from Excel as well, I'm sure they would rather sell me a suitable boat rather than an unsuitable one.
Old 03 March 2022, 12:50   #42

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I stand corrected, it is 0.6 m sq.

Look forward to seeing your review and pics of your new 430 when you get it.
Old 03 March 2022, 12:54   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I stand corrected, it is 0.6 m sq.

Look forward to seeing your review and pics of your new 430 when you get it.
Thanks.

I plan a shakedown cruise in May on the Great Ouse accompanied by my mate in his Honwave. Obviously on the river I won't be able to open it up but should give me a feel for it before I go to the bigger waters.
Old 03 March 2022, 13:00   #44

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Robmac ... The Volaire 430 is a very seaworth boat and it does not flex or ventilate any more than any other type of SIB. You can see it in action in this video.. My mate has one and there are plenty more videos of it in action on my channel.

I did mention to him you were thinking of one as a daily setup.. and he laughed ..saying you would regret it.

However Stephen in the Wild does it although he has his son to assist.

Only weakness in the big Volaire is it doesn’t steer well at slow speeds in a strong wind..the flat bottom skids across the water when the wind catches the massive size tubes. It makes coming in to land at a jetty difficult ..but no issues when underway at speed.

It is an extremely seaworthy and a very dry ride due it the huge tubes. My mate takes his two dogs and full camping gear with him is all sorts of weather. We go round the Inner Hebrides and have no problems doing 10 mile or more open sea crossing in it.

I would recommend a trailer for it though
Old 03 March 2022, 13:15   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi Robmac ... The Volaire 430 is a very seaworth boat and it does not flex or ventilate any more than any other type of SIB. You can see it in action in this video.. My mate has one and there are plenty more videos of it in action on my channel.

I did mention to him you were thinking of one as a daily setup.. and he laughed ..saying you would regret it.

However Stephen in the Wild does it although he has his son to assist.

Only weakness in the big Volaire is it doesn’t steer well at slow speeds in a strong wind..the flat bottom skids across the water when the wind catches the massive size tubes. It makes coming in to land at a jetty difficult ..but no issues when underway at speed.

It is an extremely seaworthy and a very dry ride due it the huge tubes. My mate takes his two dogs and full camping gear with him is all sorts of weather. We go round the Inner Hebrides and have no problems doing 10 mile or more open sea crossing in it.

I would recommend a trailer for it though
Many thanks for that. I've watched Stephen's videos, one briefly featuring yourself! and that as well as Fenlander's comments swayed me away from the bigger Vanguard 485.

I've actually just finished watching your Jura (pt 1) video and will shortly be watching part 2 when you visit the Corryvreckan.

I stayed in a log cabin on a small Island just off of Craobh Haven a few years back (Actually owned by Falcon Scott grandson of Cpt Robert Falcon Scott). I was hoping to get a trip out to the Hag but it was cancelled due to conditions.

Thanks again, looking forward to pt 2!
Old 03 March 2022, 13:32   #46

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The Gurnard's comments are really useful to you. It seems there is no problem with prop ventilation on that specific model which is good.

His comments re weight align with previous discussions but that's a personal choice for you.

Being blown about as they don't track well unless hard under power has been mentioned before re that model. It's actually far more important on the river than the sea because you can't use power and speed to keep straight. I remember now on a group outing it was commented in a wind the other sibs were tracking OK but the Volaire owner had to set the tiller a fair bit over to keep to a straight heading.
Old 03 March 2022, 13:38   #47

Quote:
The Gurnard's comments are really useful to you. It seems there is no problem with prop ventilation on that specific model which is good.

His comments re weight align with previous discussions but that's a personal choice for you.

Being blown about as they don't track well unless hard under power has been mentioned before re that model. It's actually far more important on the river than the sea because you can't use power and speed to keep straight. I remember now on a group outing it was commented in a wind the other sibs were tracking OK but the Volaire owner had to set the tiller a fair bit over to keep to a straight heading.
Definitely a consideration. I am wondering about fitting one of these to the leg;

https://www.ruddersafe-shop.com/en/r...he-dual-rudder

I have one on my present boat and it makes aa massive difference. Once you get up to speed it kicks up so as not to make turns dangerous.

Not sure how it would perform on a SIB, I will do some research once I've finished The Gurnard's Jura video!

Thanks
Old 03 March 2022, 14:01   #48

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
There is a reasonably recent four part series of going round Canna Eigg Rum and Muck from Taynuilt and shows the Volaire 430 well. Not many SIB'ers will do that kind of trip but the Volaire managed fine.

If you intend going to sea and through places like the Corry..I would recommend a boat of 4m or more rather than a shorter 3.8 boat. In my experience..a 4 plus meter boat tends to bridge waves rather than go up and down them the way a shorter boat does .

My mate also has the Honwave T38IE but he thinks it is not as seaworthy as it goes up and down the waves more than the Volaire .. and in fact the Honwave floor flexes and ventilates a bit more than the Volaire.

However he still keeps the Honwave T38IE for trips that need the boat carried to the sea or packed in his car..its ideal for that. He often uses a 6HP on the Honwave ..it planes him ..and his two dogs around 14 mph .. over 200kg..plus fuel anchor and other essentials.

So if its lightweight set up you want..consider the Honwave T38IE

If you want a heavy opensea going SIB with lots of room..my mate is delighted with his Volaire 430 and Tohatsu 20HP.

Interesting design that outboard rudder. I often sail my F Rib and use an oar to steer it. I have a small outboard to get back if the wind drops or comes from ahead and I keep the outboard in the boat until I want to use it. Your idea has me wondering if I can make a rudder for the outboard so I can have have the outboard on the transom at all times.. hmmm .. I think its possible
Old 03 March 2022, 14:14   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
There is a reasonably recent four part series of going round Canna Eigg Rum and Muck from Taynuilt and shows the Volaire 430 well. Not many SIB'ers will do that kind of trip but the Volaire managed fine.

If you intend going to sea and through places like the Corry..I would recommend a boat of 4m or more rather than a shorter 3.8 boat. In my experience..a 4 plus meter boat tends to bridge waves rather than go up and down them the way a shorter boat does .

My mate also has the Honwave T38IE but he thinks it is not as seaworthy as it goes up and down the waves more than the Volaire .. and in fact the Honwave floor flexes and ventilates a bit more than the Volaire.

However he still keeps the Honwave T38IE for trips that need the boat carried to the sea or packed in his car..its ideal for that. He often uses a 6HP on the Honwave ..it planes him ..and his two dogs around 14 mph .. over 200kg..plus fuel anchor and other essentials.

So if its lightweight set up you want..consider the Honwave T38IE

If you want a heavy opensea going SIB with lots of room..my mate is delighted with his Volaire 430 and Tohatsu 20HP.

Interesting design that outboard rudder. I often sail my F Rib and use an oar to steer it. I have a small outboard to get back if the wind drops or comes from ahead and I keep the outboard in the boat until I want to use it. Your idea has me wondering if I can make a rudder for the outboard so I can have have the outboard on the transom at all times.. hmmm .. I think its possible
I do eventually want to go to Sea - I'm booking my VHF course shortly and will do a few cruises in company on the lochs but even though I'm a Sassenach (of Scottish descent maternally and paternally) I'm longing for the West Coast. I visit Scotland 2 or 3 times a year in the camper, usually the Cairngorms, Glencoe and I love Applecross. I'm usually a Winter visitor though.

So yes, the Volaire will suit - seaworthiness appeals a lot to somebody like me who is more used to sedate inland boating. Remote also means a lot to me so the safer the boat the safer I hope to be!

I think the double rudder I posted works better than the single Addarudders available. My mate borrowed mine before I fitted it and he had a copy fabricated for about a tenth of the price I paid!

I'm on Pt 3 now and the Corryvreckan. Great to see the boats in action!
Old 07 March 2022, 17:09   #50

Well a good day today.

I went over to the marina to give my boat a clean before it goes on the sales pontoon and the manager came out for a chat. Long and short of it is he bought it off me there and then for a price I am very happy with. Bank transfer done and money already in my account!

I am now ready to order my new boat. I have come to a sort of compromise, listening to the voices of reason and decided that I can get away with slightly smaller, so I have now narrowed it down to either the Volaire 3.9 or the Vanguard 395 probably with a 15hp Tohatsu which I have seen at a reasonable price.

I 'phoned Excel but no answer so I left a message but so far no reply. The problem with this is that their website gives no idea of lead times (although when I spoke to them about a larger Vanguard a couple of weeks ago they said probably May so probably the same for other models).

Also their website just lists the various models but no online ordering systems. Has anybody dealt with them who can tell me what the procedure is? It sounds like you can only order by 'phone and I would rather speak to somebody anyway to clarify a couple of things but I guess they are very busy at the moment, maybe at a show?

I am obviously keen to order as waiting lists will probably extend and prices go up.
Old 07 March 2022, 18:33   #51

Town: Aberdeenshire
If you have a look at Oban’s most recent video on YouTube it might be helpful to you, and I am sure he will post much more soon.

https://youtu.be/Q_D2Z2zkUXY

As for Excel and Terry in particular......you will find mixed opinions here!
In general on contacting them (out with boat shows) I found it far better to phone and talk to Terry directly.

I did have a few issues with quality control on my Volaire (cosmetically) but to be fair with Terry there was no quibbles in sorting things out so far, and I found him ok to deal with.

Below is also a thread I started as a newbie, but our circumstances took a bad turn last year so never completed it.

But we have plans for a West coast trip for this April, so will finish it off after that.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/my-exc...far-86557.html

Oh and Pikey dave has good few posts on their Volaire set up
Old 07 March 2022, 19:31   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
If you have a look at Oban’s most recent video on YouTube it might be helpful to you, and I am sure he will post much more soon.

https://youtu.be/Q_D2Z2zkUXY

As for Excel and Terry in particular......you will find mixed opinions here!
In general on contacting them (out with boat shows) I found it far better to phone and talk to Terry directly.

I did have a few issues with quality control on my Volaire (cosmetically) but to be fair with Terry there was no quibbles in sorting things out so far, and I found him ok to deal with.

Below is also a thread I started as a newbie, but our circumstances took a bad turn last year so never completed it.

But we have plans for a West coast trip for this April, so will finish it off after that.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/my-exc...far-86557.html

Oh and Pikey dave has good few posts on their Volaire set up
That was a really interesting and comprehensive intro/review. I was getting really annoyed when my grandkids kept interrupting my reading.

Certainly some things for me to be aware of when I take delivery of my boat and just the sort of input I need.

I'm sorry you had a few problems, I am sourcing my outboard elsewhere as well as a couple of other things such as seat cushions, outboard trolleys etc. so hopefully I won't go through the same.

Oban OTW's unboxing review was also very good so I shall be looking for more of his stuff.

Thank you very much for posting. Really helpful.
Old 07 March 2022, 23:50   #53

I'd forgotten about Brinormeg's Excel purchase, snagging and setting up adventures... a great amount of info in there.

I'd not seen Oban's videos before. Another good resource on the Volaire. Must offer respect to him for taking a 3.5m SIB out to the Eddystone...

Old 08 March 2022, 03:58   #54

Quote:
I'd forgotten about Brinormeg's Excel purchase, snagging and setting up adventures... a great amount of info in there.

I'd not seen Oban's videos before. Another good resource on the Volaire. Must offer respect to him for taking a 3.5m SIB out to the Eddystone...

...especially with a large Porbeagle circling the boat!

Great video.
Old 08 March 2022, 19:07   #55

Terry 'phoned back today.

Unfortunately I was out all day but he spoke to my wife. She told him what I am after and he may have something for me. He is ringing back tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed. Things could be moving!
Old 08 March 2022, 22:34   #56

>>>he may have something for me

Just remember that needs to be exactly what you have to decided on... not a "near enough".

#salesman
Old 09 March 2022, 03:47   #57

Quote:
>>>he may have something for me

Just remember that needs to be exactly what you have to decided on... not a "near enough".

#salesman
Yes indeed. Apparently he said to the wife he thinks he might have one in black which is what I want, but it might be dark grey.

But no, it must be EXACTLY what I want.
Old 09 March 2022, 16:16   #58

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
Yes indeed. Apparently he said to the wife he thinks he might have one in black which is what I want, but it might be dark grey.

But no, it must be EXACTLY what I want.

Not quite sure what you’ve eventually decided on, it chopped and changed a bit. I have the Volaire 390 & we’re very happy with it. BUT it’s on the limit of what we can physically handle wrg launching & recovery. Despite it’s “all air” construction, it’s a solid heavy lump once you get a 20hp engine on the back & the rest of the kit in it. I’ve bought a separate outboard trolley to mitigate the weight, but you still have to get the complete outfit in & out of the water to fit/remove the engine.
Re. The comments about side wind & low speed manoeuvres, it can be a handful if it catches you unawares. You have to be nifty on the throttle in certain situations, but it’s predictable once you know.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2022, 18:09   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Not quite sure what you’ve eventually decided on, it chopped and changed a bit. I have the Volaire 390 & we’re very happy with it. BUT it’s on the limit of what we can physically handle wrg launching & recovery. Despite it’s “all air” construction, it’s a solid heavy lump once you get a 20hp engine on the back & the rest of the kit in it. I’ve bought a separate outboard trolley to mitigate the weight, but you still have to get the complete outfit in & out of the water to fit/remove the engine.
Re. The comments about side wind & low speed manoeuvres, it can be a handful if it catches you unawares. You have to be nifty on the throttle in certain situations, but it’s predictable once you know.
I thought I had settled on the Volaire 430 but after listening to a few comments here and watching a few videos I thought I'd better seen sense and go for something a bit smaller.

I had narrowed it down to the Volaire 390 or the Vanguard 395, I know they are both going to be a bit on the heavy side but I reckon I could manage with a bow trolley and transom wheels if on my own.

Terry was supposed to ring me this morning but never did, maybe the signal wasn't good where I was in London, but who knows.

I do chop and change a bit that's just me, don't forget, the world of SIBs is new to me so I am discovering new stuff all the time, but basically I want a cargo carrier for reasonably economical touring holidays as well as the odd trip down my local river. I love camping and at the moment I use my motorbike for this but obviously everything has to be lightweight and compact. In the boat I want to spoil myself a bit so if that means taking a firepit, large tent, etc. etc. so be it.

I still really want a Volaire 390 in black with carbon finish, but if it's not to be then I shall consider something else.

I'm still open to suggestions.
Old 18 March 2022, 12:06   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
More chops, more changes I'm afraid.

I was getting a bit frustrated with dealers not being able to guarantee a delivery time and at my age I can't really afford to miss a season! So I started looking at F-Ribs. Sadly prior to this I missed out (through my own fault) on an F-Rib 360 for sale on here but sometimes it's just not to be.

I looked at some F-Rib dealers a couple of which were very helpful but still a long delivery time so I did some calculations.

My campervan will actually accommodate a Quicksilver Alu Rib 350 inside with a little room to spare. I will also have room left over for a launching trolley and the engine and all my gear.

So, this morning I have ordered and paid for the RIB and it will be delivered in the next couple of weeks.

Tags
sib