Old 24 November 2022, 14:15   #1

Town: Logan
Boat name: HMV Minnow
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 4stroke
New to RIBnet -- Avon 3.15 new owner

Howdy,
We are in the process of taking ownership of a 2003 Avon 3.15 and glad to find this site. I'm hoping to learn more about the boat. It seems to have been in good shape, stored out of sun, and used on US freshwater.

After reading a fair bit, I settled on a 10hp 4stroke, and found a short shaft, not-yet-broken-in Tohatsu 9.8 for cheap. Looks like that should move it along OK.

We will (mostly) haul 2 adults (310lb tot.) on large western lakes (e.g., Yellowstone) and island exploring in Gulf of California. We are whitewater rafters, so accustomed to and own hypalon boats in that realm.

Some questions...
- boat lacks both seat boards; should I make some or assume I will not use them (or should sit on dry bags stuffed with gear)?
- for an anchor, is there a better one than the Mantus?
- what extra gear is essential to carry? (we already have hypalon repair kit, valve replacement, oars, 303 spray)
- what psi did Avon recommend?
- we are thinking of towing 2 17' sea kayaks to more distant camps/islands to explore out from; kinda odd, but does anyone do this and/or have tips?

Seems like a solid boat. We will haul it in a Sprinter van to allow exploring in various aquatic worlds.

Cheers,
RTC
Old 24 November 2022, 23:08   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Can’t answer it all anchor depends on the lake/sea bed but a blue cooler with some chain would be a good choice.

Seat boards were iirc timber with a good varnish so easy to reproduce but may be easier to sit on the tubes or on some gear
Old 25 November 2022, 10:51   #3

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Can’t answer it all anchor depends on the lake/sea bed but a blue cooler with some chain would be a good choice.

Seat boards were iirc timber with a good varnish so easy to reproduce but may be easier to sit on the tubes or on some gear
Any link to them?
Old 25 November 2022, 11:25   #4

Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x 200
Recommended pressure is 2.5 psi on my 3.2 Seasport if that helps
Old 25 November 2022, 20:21   #5

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Turn Clyde View Post
Howdy,
We are in the process of taking ownership of a 2003 Avon 3.15 and glad to find this site. I'm hoping to learn more about the boat. It seems to have been in good shape, stored out of sun, and used on US freshwater.

After reading a fair bit, I settled on a 10hp 4stroke, and found a short shaft, not-yet-broken-in Tohatsu 9.8 for cheap. Looks like that should move it along OK.

We will (mostly) haul 2 adults (310lb tot.) on large western lakes (e.g., Yellowstone) and island exploring in Gulf of California. We are whitewater rafters, so accustomed to and own hypalon boats in that realm.

Some questions...
- boat lacks both seat boards; should I make some or assume I will not use them (or should sit on dry bags stuffed with gear)?
- for an anchor, is there a better one than the Mantus?
- what extra gear is essential to carry? (we already have hypalon repair kit, valve replacement, oars, 303 spray)
- what psi did Avon recommend?
- we are thinking of towing 2 17' sea kayaks to more distant camps/islands to explore out from; kinda odd, but does anyone do this and/or have tips?

Seems like a solid boat. We will haul it in a Sprinter van to allow exploring in various aquatic worlds.

Cheers,
RTC
Hi and welcome,

3.15 mtrs, 2 up with a lot of gear - probably a bit cramped so I'd be tempted to sit on drybags stuffed with gear, but it's each to there own, some may prefer sitting on a bench seat.

Anchor depends upon what's on the bed. Are you going to anchor that much or will you beach more times than not?

303 spray???? - do you plan on cleaning your sib whilst out on the water - the list is endless, but if you tour with sea kayaks what you take now will probably surfice for the first few trips. After that you will know what you feal you need to take.

If you can't get the exact pressure, I'd be trying around 3 psi for the tubes. If the SIB appears to "wallow" a bit increase it slightly until you feel happy with how the SIB handles.

I've towed sea kayaks before (never with a SIB) but I've never felt comfortable doing it. Load up the kayaks with a decent amount of weight, make sure the kayaks have a full deck cover and I'd be keeping to displacement speeds.

Good luck on your first few trips and enjoy it.
Old 25 November 2022, 21:13   #6

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Any link to them?
Here: https://www.cooperanchors.com/store

Not towed kayaks but a long line tow on flat water should work ok
Old 26 November 2022, 18:55   #7

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Re: towing the kayaks - it may be beneficial to try towing them lashed together, braced at the front, middle and rear. Less chance of either of the kayaks rolling/capsizing, also they won't bang/clash together.
Old 27 November 2022, 02:43   #8

Town: Logan
Boat name: HMV Minnow
Make: Avon
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 4stroke
Picked up the boat today. Seems to be in good order. Lighter than I expected (for the rubber itself). Nylon flooring is just the opposite.

I've done whitewater rafting in Hypalon boats for years. We used a fist test for pressure. Push in hard on tubes with a fist to gauge psi. 2.5psi is what NRS and similar manufacturers call for. So sounds similar.

As expected, the boat is smaller than expected. But should work fine for us. Thanks for the tips and advice. I have covers for the kayak cockpits. Lashing crossed my mind, but unsure how.

The Tohatsu motor is still in break-in period, so no high speed runs for a bit.

Looks like some 3/4" plywood will do for seats, if only temporary. Aluminum replacement seats are pricey.

BTW does a 12-13' SIB handle/perform/plane better than 10-11' models? I will no doubt stick with the 9.8hp four stroke, but am not married to this specific Avon.

Thx

Tags
avon, rib