Old 23 July 2020, 08:54   #1

Town: Radlett
Boat name: not yet purchased
Make: na
Length: 3m +
Engine: na
my first sib help please

Reposted as new thread as I thought it might just get lost in the flotsam as a reply to another post. Hope this doesn't break any board rules!

Hello I am new here and am also quite new to SIBS. Been researching as much as I can and came to the conclusion that the best SIB for my needs (fun with my two teenage kids on lakes river and sea) would be the
Honwave T32-IE2 Air V Floor (3.2m) Due to the air floor and v shaped keel.

Disappointed that it is twice the price of AIR V TYPE FLOOR 330 sold by Boat World (out of stock until September) and that it only has 1 bench.

I need one that I can pack away at the end of the day as no trailer and not much storage. So hoping to have something that weighs a max of 40-45kg with carry bag.

Help needed with suggestions about finding the right inflatable at a reasonable price even if that means second hand and any additional tips very welcome.
Old 23 July 2020, 13:27   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
For 3 people on anything but flat water, 310 is probably the minimum size for comfort. Any SIB in the 310 to 340 size range should be easy to set up and pack away as long as you are methodical. I've had 3 in that size range, all with plywood floors. My current Zodiac 310 fits neatly in the boot of my Honda Civic if I take the small engine, and needs a bit more space if I take the larger engine.

I allow about 10 minutes from garage to the car, about 30 minutes max from car to the water, and about 20 minutes from water to the car, assuming I can unload and load at the top of the slipway.

All the various floor types have their proponents and detractors. I've always favoured ply, but many people seem to prefer air floors.

Some will argue for the biggest engine you can manage, others for the smallest you can get away with. The cost of the engine, and the weight of the engine and fuel tank, are considerations if the boat is being put away folded after every trip.

Read the "sticky" thread at the top of the forum, get some ideas of what you may want, and then if you have any specific questions we'll all be happy to chip in with contradictory answers.
Old 23 July 2020, 13:28   #3

Town: Huddersfield
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Yam 8hp Petrol
Personally I'd wait for the Boat World.
I bought a Yamaha 3.1sti from eBay for 350 quid as no one else bid on it! Lucky bargain! I had to travel 160 miles each way to collect but we'll worth it.
Maybe look for something like that on the used market if you dontvwant to wait until September.
I certainly wouldn't be paying double for the Honwave.
Old 23 July 2020, 14:19   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Two years ago I'd have championed the Honwave as the cheapest I'd want to go for a day's outing use leisure type SIB. Below that price they are the generic Chinese type from a small importer.

Sadly Honwave have let themselves down in regard to quality of some examples recently.

Put it this way I'd still rather a Honwave I'd inspected out of the box even at its higher price than a Boatworld SIB... their construction looks a bit rough from images on their own website. I exclude the Elling 350 from this comment as it looks better built and there is enough feedback to know their owners like them.
Old 23 July 2020, 19:39   #5

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Personally I would say anything less than 350 is small for an adult and two teenagers, who from experience grow into very large teenagers quickly!
Being new to sib's myself I know how hard it can be deciding on which SIB make and size to choose. The things I considered are internal size when inflated, packed size, packed weight, where your using it, what your using it for, ease of use, quality and price.
After trawling through the internet and reading forums, I had my mind set on a Honwave t38 that was until I saw things in the flesh. The t38 might be a great sib for some but not for me, I needed something with a much flatter deck, and 2 bench seats.
I took a look at the Excel sib's and I have to say I was impressed, I think good quality and decent pricing. To cut a long story short, I ended up buying the Volante SD360. Great internal space, flat airdeck, just the right size to fit in my Navara with OB and all the other gear I will be taking with me, and last but not least manageable on my own. I can't comment on how it is on the water as I only inflated it today, maiden voyage will be the first week in August!
I do know that they only had 1 SD360 left (Wed 22nd July) and they aren't expecting stock until October.
Old 23 July 2020, 19:50   #6

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I do know that they only had 1 SD360 left (Wed 22nd July) and they aren't expecting stock until October.

They told me they only had 1 360 left 2 weeks ago, but you have one and still one left. Like car salesmen
Old 23 July 2020, 19:58   #7

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
To be fair to Terry, he did tell me he only had 1 left when I spoke to him last week (a light grey one) but whilst I was there he "found" a red one mixed up with some other stock. I don't think stock control is high on the list of priorities!
Old 23 July 2020, 20:09   #8

Well hes absent minded too then cause it was the red one he offered me
Old 24 July 2020, 06:56   #9

Thank you all for your thoughtful and thought provoking replies. I have learned from the above that it is best to go for something no less than 350. Don't rush into anything. That Honwave is best avoided and Elling is worth a shot even though it's "Russian" And finally one last check to make sure there are any SD360s in stock. Thanks!
Old 24 July 2020, 07:16   #10

Just enjoy your new boat in August, not too long now before you get it wet eh!

Dont forget to update your member status, as you are now the proud owner of a Volante SD360.
Old 24 July 2020, 08:14   #11

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I wouldn't rule out Honwave. For the money they're an excellent sib and have a reasonable warranty . Handling wise they are one of the better ones .
Old 24 July 2020, 08:15   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> I have learned from the above..... That Honwave is best avoided....

Not strictly true. If you can get to a dealer to inspect the one you buy and it's OK then I'd say no problem. Same if dealer agrees to open and check before shipping. Also I'd buy a used one subject to inspection... even safer about 3yrs old or more as their problems are quite recent.
Old 24 July 2020, 17:22   #13

Town: W Midlands
Make: C-Fury Patrol
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> if dealer agrees to open and check before shipping.

Precisely what I did a few weeks ago and the dealer was very happy to provide the reassurance that I needed to buy a new T38.

The dealer I bought from are official dealers for a number of outboard manufacturers and have been very helpful since I bought the T38, I’ve asked a few questions and had immediate responses, they have also followed up on everything promised at the time of the sale.

In conversation they said they find Honda to be the easiest of their manufacturers to deal with for support and resolving issues that arise, for me that’s important.

They don’t have any more T38’s available and are struggling to get stock of new ones quickly, they do have a couple of stock T32 which have been checked and are free of faults, it seems that supply is outstripping demand even on SIBs at the moment.

If anyone wants details of the dealer PM me, I don’t work for them.
Old 25 July 2020, 08:13   #14

Thanks for your great advice paddlers, fenlander, young at heart. So would it be safe to say that the three main contenders are Honwave, Elling 350 and a 10ish yo Bombard Aerotec? Looking for that v keel opposed to a flat bottom. Cheers!

Tags
sib