Old 13 October 2020, 10:10   #41

Make: Elling kB 350
Length: 3m +
Oldman 2. What are your thoughts of the Elling ? being as you have one.
I read your post on the transom wheels, if I do get one I’ll be following your idea.
Old 13 October 2020, 10:36   #42

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
I'm really the wrong person to ask Ive yet to get mine wet although I have had a couple of hours off shore in someone else's KB350 recently and I felt quite safe at both ends of the boat, it got up on the plane fine once the weight was distributed right and although the 9.8 Tohatsu engine was being run in on reduced revs it felt lively enough.

I have quite happy with my 350 purchase but its difficult for me to recommend them against any others as I never owned a sib before.

I had grp boats for many years to fish from, I still have a 10ft BonWitco dinghy on the beach here.

I doubt that mine will see the water until spring even though I am less than a mile from the shore, im a fair weather boat fisherman, in winter I drop down to my local pier generally in the night for my fish supper.
Good luck in your quest for the most suitable kit for your needs.
What county are you in btw?
Old 13 October 2020, 10:48   #43

I’m here in England. Birmingham. Pity you haven’t had chance to use yours yet. Would you say there was enough room for 4 adults in it ?
Old 13 October 2020, 10:59   #44

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post
Would you say there was enough room for 4 adults in it ?

If they are all very good friends then yes as long as its for a slow summer cruise up the river maybe perched on the tubes with no camping gear or other stuff to take up floor room. But for use at sea for fishing I would say 2 adults and all the gear is enough.
Old 13 October 2020, 11:02   #45

So basically. 4 adults, no gear, very calm sea lol
Old 13 October 2020, 11:27   #46

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
My Honwave T38 ie was bought about 2 - 3 years ago new and did not have any issues and we are very happy with it. Used it quite a bit now and you feel very safe in it.

Have used a 9.8 and 15 hp 2 Stroke and a 20 Hp 4 stroke on it. All motors perform well on it.

Keeping a keen eye on the new one just to see what it is like.

The beauty of the air floor is it is so easy to blow up

I still like the look of the elling however

Old 13 October 2020, 11:44   #47

I’ll be keeping a look out for the new Honda or any other new one that comes along in the next few months.
I’ve been looking into the 2 stroke engines, it seems the warranties being offered are only 12 months or 2 years at best and are also considerably more expensive than their 4 stroke counterparts. Most of the 4 strokes have between 5-7 years warranty so maybe I’d be better off looking at 4 strokes instead. Keeping below the max of the elling at 42kg. I Quite like the Honda 10hp at 41kg. Any thoughts on a good lightweight 4 stroke?
Old 13 October 2020, 12:02   #48

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
I’ll be keeping a look out for the new Honda or any other new one that comes along in the next few months.
I’ve been looking into the 2 stroke engines, it seems the warranties being offered are only 12 months or 2 years at best and are also considerably more expensive than their 4 stroke counterparts. Most of the 4 strokes have between 5-7 years warranty so maybe I’d be better off looking at 4 strokes instead. Keeping below the max of the elling at 42kg. I Quite like the Honda 10hp at 41kg. Any thoughts on a good lightweight 4 stroke?

You only get the warranty if you have the engines serviced by the agent. The servicing could be nearly half as much as a new engine by the time the warranty expires. I’ve decided to go down the “self service” route with my DF20 & sacrifice the warranty.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 12:06   #49

I was hoping they could be serviced by any marine mechanic. I don’t want the hassle of taking it back to an agent all the time as there are probably none near where I live. Back to my research on the 2 strokes then lol.
Old 13 October 2020, 12:46   #50

Quote:
I was hoping they could be serviced by any marine mechanic. I don’t want the hassle of taking it back to an agent all the time as there are probably none near where I live. Back to my research on the 2 strokes then lol.
Servicing a 2 stroke outboard is very easy and almost nothing to do
Old 13 October 2020, 12:49   #51

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
If you struck up a deal with Terry from Excel when you go to see them, they would be able to carry out the servicing for you, and/or you'll be using it in the South West where I'm sure there are an abundance of service agents nearby. Another thing to consider is the extra fuel costs using a 2 stroke as against a 4 stroke EFI, although if your only using the SIB a few times a year it won't be much of a difference.
Old 13 October 2020, 12:52   #52

I found a tohatsu 9.8 hp 2 stroke at the price I’d like to be paying just under £1550 good deal or bad deal?
Old 13 October 2020, 12:55   #53

Not too worried about fuel costs as it won’t be traveling far also won’t be used very often, although my invite to stay at my brothers is anytime I want lol so maybe it would get used more than I’m thinking at the moment.
Old 13 October 2020, 13:10   #54

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Other people are far more qualified and experienced to say whether it's a good deal or not, but isn't that a bit like cart before horse. Personally I'd sort out the SIB before the OB. You may fall in love with the Volaire when you see one and IMO a 9.8 would be a bit underpowered.
Old 13 October 2020, 13:31   #55

I totally agree with you Steve. Basically as I’m doing my research I’m writing down the different things pros and cons of everything. Not much to do at work at the moment so this is how I spend my time. I’m keeping all my options open so that when I’m ready to buy I can make my shopping list of make and model of everything I want. To be honest hate shopping, so spend many hours doing my research before I buy anything. On the boat and outboard I’ve probably spent around 150 hours looking around at the different ones, seeing what I like and what I don’t like, reading forums like this, reading reviews. Too much knowledge is never a bad thing. I don’t know much yet though lol
Old 13 October 2020, 16:06   #56

Quote:
I totally agree with you Steve. Basically as I’m doing my research I’m writing down the different things pros and cons of everything. Not much to do at work at the moment so this is how I spend my time. I’m keeping all my options open so that when I’m ready to buy I can make my shopping list of make and model of everything I want. To be honest hate shopping, so spend many hours doing my research before I buy anything. On the boat and outboard I’ve probably spent around 150 hours looking around at the different ones, seeing what I like and what I don’t like, reading forums like this, reading reviews. Too much knowledge is never a bad thing. I don’t know much yet though lol
I agree too much knowledge is not a bad thing but you can also have so much that you cant make a decision and your head gets scrambled. At some point you just need to go for it.

As someone else said most people dont get the right boat the first time and this is just a fact of life. Until you have one and use it a while you simply dont know what particular things are important to you.
Old 13 October 2020, 16:52   #57

If I were to make a decision right now, I’d have the Elling and the tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke but as I’m not in any rush I’m open to suggestions and ideas. If someone suggests something else then I’m quite happy to look into it and do a bit of research. I’d original had in mind about 3K for boat and engine and keeping both as light as possible, I think with that combination it’ll work. Yes, I could go for the volaire 390 when I’ve had a chat with Terry and then I’d raise the 9.8hp to a 15hp or 20hp, but then I have to consider a lot more of how I’m going to be moving them around, so at present moment I’m on the Elling and 9.8hp. I doubt if I’ll ever know if I’ve made the right or wrong choice as I’ve never owned a boat before so have nothing to compare to, but I think at the moment they would suit me just fine.
My next mission is to look into fish finders, life jackets and other things that I’ll be needing. I do appreciate people taking the time out to give me their honest opinions as it’s always informative in some way to me.
Old 14 October 2020, 12:44   #58

Just a little thought to my shopping list. I’ve been thinking of adding a trolling motor as an auxiliary to the 9.8hp. I’ve seen one in eBay at £170, it’s made by Bison and has 68lb thrust it also comes with a spare propeller and battery charger. Has anyone got one of these ? Are they any good? Would it be suitable to get me out of trouble if I were close to shore? I’m aware I’ll need a leisure battery and a decent box to put it in. I think for an outlay of approx £350 it’d be nice to have that extra peace of mind in case of emergency.
Old 14 October 2020, 14:40   #59

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Would it be suitable to get me out of trouble if I were close to shore?

In truth close to shore can be the most dangerous part of getting to dry land with rolling in or breaking waves or currents over a bar or into an estuary.

In such cases the weak push from one of these motors would be little help.

Spend the money on an anchor/chain/rope and handheld radio.
Old 14 October 2020, 15:57   #60

Thanks fenlander. They are already on the shopping list. The radio I was going to go for a cobra HH350. The anchor I was thinking of about 3kg with chain and about 100ft of rope. The fish finder a garmin striker 4. To secure the outboard I’ve looked at a cable with clips each end. The only thing I can think of now of importance are the life jackets such a lot of choices in them though. Little problem there though, this missus wants a pink one LOL.
With the trolling motor I was merely thinking of using it in an emergency as I know nothing about engines and thought well £350 is not a lot of money on something that could get me out of trouble. Also the battery box and battery could be used to power the fish finder and charge the phones up if needed even though I’d adds about another 20kg to the overall weight in the boat.