Old 12 October 2020, 18:18   #21

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We have a Volaire 390 & are very impressed. It’s very capable & well built for the money. BUT! It’s a heavy lump to manage single handed. 2 of us can just about manage it with a 20hp Suzuki on the back. I’d struggle on my own.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 05:46   #22

Make: Elling kB 350
Length: 3m +
You gave me intrigued to the “ unusual ideas “ thing. Lol. I’m always open to new ideas. I’ve been looking at 15hp 2 stroke weight and price and they seem to be almost at the max weight of the ellings capacity which kinda gets me worried about stress on the transom. Should this worry me?
I’ve also noticed that a lot of people put the external fuel tank at the front of the boat, is there a reason for this? I’d have thought the rank would be better nearer the engine so that there is no fuel pipe that could be stood upon or accidentally pulled.
Old 13 October 2020, 05:54   #23

Can you manage the volaire 390 without the engine attached? I could easily rig up some sort of trolley to move the engine to the boat near the water. The company I work for has its own wood and metal departments so basically I can make or adapt anything I wanted.
Old 13 October 2020, 07:21   #24

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post
You gave me intrigued to the “ unusual ideas “ thing. Lol. I’m always open to new ideas. I’ve been looking at 15hp 2 stroke weight and price and they seem to be almost at the max weight of the ellings capacity which kinda gets me worried about stress on the transom. Should this worry me?
I’ve also noticed that a lot of people put the external fuel tank at the front of the boat, is there a reason for this? I’d have thought the rank would be better nearer the engine so that there is no fuel pipe that could be stood upon or accidentally pulled.
The Fuel line is very strong and will have no issue if you stand on it.

The fuel tank is put forward in the boat for balance ie some weight up front. This helps the boat when you throttle up to get the boat on the plane.
Old 13 October 2020, 07:23   #25

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
I think the following is what you should get

The Elling 350 with a 15 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke (Make sure if you can buy new you get the right shaft length)

Or if you are worried about the engine weight get the same boat but with the Tohatsu 9.8 hp 2 stroke (Same comment about shaft length)
Old 13 October 2020, 07:41   #26

I tend to agree with you smallribber. If I had the elling and the 9.8hp it would be equal in weight to just the volaire 390 on its own. I’m not looking to go fast, I just want something that’s sea worthy and stable for a bit of fishing and short hops along the coast and also that won’t break my back handling on my own if I have to. I’ve read the posts by 2 people on here who have the Elling 350, one with 8hp and one with 9.8hp both seem to be very pleased with it so far. As has been mentioned in this post that if I was to buy a well known make then if I did decide I wanted more power later then I could move up to the 15hp. Having said that, if I found a good deal on the 15hp 2 stroke then I’d probably opt for that in the first place. I have plenty of time to look and research as I probably won’t be buying until feb or March next year although if the right deal comes along I’ll buy earlier so it gives me chance to set it up the way I wanted as there are quite a few extras I’d like to put on it. More borika mounts, wheels, fish finder. Just been wondering if one of those booster power packs for the car would be any good for powering a fish finder and various other things.
Old 13 October 2020, 08:19   #27

RIBase
Quote:
Can you manage the volaire 390 without the engine attached? I could easily rig up some sort of trolley to move the engine to the boat near the water. The company I work for has its own wood and metal departments so basically I can make or adapt anything I wanted.

I’ve just bought an outboard trolley, not had chance to use it in anger yet, so can’t give a definitive answer. Watch this space.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 13 October 2020, 08:37   #28

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I’ve just bought an outboard trolley, not had chance to use it in anger yet, so can’t give a definitive answer. Watch this space.
Hi Dave, is this like the trolley you have bought,

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Force-4/Folding-Outboard-Engine-Trolley/E6O?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign =base&stock=18384&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoJX8BRCZARIsAEWBFM Ka5cXrRZm836OUbPX_cTLicy-6_lLbvMh-SV7CdDOniYlxtGQaHt4aAkhCEALw_wcB
Old 13 October 2020, 08:39   #29

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>with a 15 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke

I would just mention in a nerdy way if going for a 15hp 2-stroke for lightness the Tohatsu is the one to avoid... they are the heaviest of all the makes at 41hp creeping into 4-stroke weight territory. Yamaha/Mercury/Mariner are the boys at 35/36kg and well inside the Elling's 42kg rating... the rarely seen Suzuki is the very lightest at 34kg.

And I think it needs reinforcing that all reports of the Elling indicate it will go as well with a 9.8 as all other similar size SIBs with a 15hp.

No need for a car booster pack to get ruined by salt water... a 7ah or 10ah scooter/alarm type battery will power a fishfinder for a couple of days outings.
Old 13 October 2020, 08:53   #30

Quote:
I could manage a Volaire on my own without the OB, but I wouldn't be able to get it onto the roof of my truck.
Old 13 October 2020, 08:54   #31

Thanks Fenlander I appreciate the advice on the engines. Tbh I was just looking at the tohatsu 15hp. I’ll give that one a miss now. I had thought of just using an alarm battery, in fact already got one, but I thought of one of those booster types because of the multiple sockets they have. Such as usb and cigarette socket. Just in case I wanted to make a cup of tea out at sea or charge the phone/iPad.
Old 13 October 2020, 08:58   #32

I'll be fitting a battery, battery box and OB battery charging over the winter. I'll post step by step how I get on if anyone is interested
Old 13 October 2020, 08:58   #33

RIBase
I’m new, need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Dave, is this like the trolley you have bought,

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Force-...4aAkhCEALw_wcB

It’s this one. It’s the only stainless one I could find & it’s a nice bit of kit.
I made him an offer & settled at £175

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174410666036
Old 13 October 2020, 09:04   #34

Like that one Dave, looks well made. I've got the one I posted, it's OK. Criticism would be the yoke is cheap plastic which has already cracked and the wheel base isn't wide enough apart so it's unstable on anything but level'ish ground.
Old 13 October 2020, 09:20   #35

I've read the specs and watched the videos of the Elling 350 and it looks impressive. Not seen any videos or read any reports of how it would cope in the choppy waters off the South West coast. It would be good if the members who have one posted a report of how they perform in choppy waters.

Just to throw a spanner in the works. I've heard that Honwave are launching a redesigned T38 at the end of the year, don't know how accurate the info is!
Old 13 October 2020, 09:30   #36

The Honda t38 was one of the first I took a look at. Completely dismissed it as so many people had problems with the quality control of them. After reading so many things I decided that Honda have no QC whatsoever on their boats. Pity really coz I think the engines are great. Had a couple of their engines in my lawn mowers and also had a Honda 150cc moped in the Philippines their cars are pretty good too.
Old 13 October 2020, 09:31   #37

It’s a pity I can’t understand Ukrainian coz the 20 minute video was very interesting. Lol
Old 13 October 2020, 09:54   #38

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
It’s a pity I can’t understand Ukrainian coz the 20 minute video was very interesting. Lol

I wonder if google speech to text service would give you a good idea of what was said?
Old 13 October 2020, 09:58   #39

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Honda t38 was one of the first I took a look at. Completely dismissed it as so many people had problems with the quality control of them. After reading so many things I decided that Honda have no QC whatsoever on their boats.

Keep an open mind. I had a 3.5 alloy floor Honwave bought new a few years back and it was at least as well built as the new Zodiac I'd bought the year before. Folks never grumble about the alloy floor or smaller models it just seems the T38 has been problematic. And even then I think all the bad ones were replaced by dealers.

So if the new one, which I understand we should see next month, might suit don't dismiss it.
Old 13 October 2020, 10:04   #40

Good idea about text to speech. I’ll try that when I get home. I could get the sound from the laptop and translate on my phone. This is what I like about this forum, absolutely great minds. I certainly wouldn’t discount any new boat that comes along especially if it’s a similar weight to the Elling.