Old 14 July 2021, 11:38   #21

Town: Chichester
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 6/9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
And if Matt was considering Boatworld for whichever sib they could get the quickest in my dealings I rate them highly in their response to any problems found.
Good to know, Fenlander - they do seem a big outfit.

My view on choosing whichever I can get the quickest is that, although I am not generally too impatient, I think I would jump on the Honwave if I got the call in the next week or so. Just because we have another summer in the UK, I've got 2 young boys (11 and 9) and a summer holiday to fill - and we live 5 minutes from a launch site on Chichester harbour. Probably worth it in that case, even if the Elling might be a shade better overall. If it is a case of waiting until September then I might just wait until the Southampton boat show (do these brands tend to show there?), get a chance to view them IRL and maybe even get a show deal. I suspect the stock level and pricing madness will have died down quite a bit by then, with season over and manufacturing generally returning to some level of normality.
Old 14 July 2021, 12:28   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> I've got 2 young boys (11 and 9) and a summer holiday to fill - and we live 5 minutes from a launch site on Chichester harbour.

In that case totally agree with your logic. There have been significant delays with the Elling KB350 on past shipments so if the Honwave was suddenly available you would at least know you could get on the water.

And if you hated it (I reckon you wouldn't but for the purposes of discussion) then buy an Elling from the next batch and sell the Honwave on. The loss will be minimal in the overall scheme of boating fun.
Old 14 July 2021, 13:02   #23

Quote:
In that case totally agree with your logic. There have been significant delays with the Elling KB350 on past shipments so if the Honwave was suddenly available you would at least know you could get on the water.
Yeah, that's my thinking, and although the Elling was the clear favourite on this thread, it didn't seem by too much, and no other obvious alternatives to those two.

I have therefore resisted the temptation to order one of the next batch of Ellings (due 27th Aug, but how likely is that really?) and will wait and see on the July Honwave. If that doesn't come through I'll just wait until September and take my time, since hols will be over by then anyway. Having said that, some of the best fishing around here is Sept thru early Nov, so it would be nice to get on the water for at least some of that.
Old 14 July 2021, 13:07   #24

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattster View Post
..no other obvious alternatives to those two.
Correction there's also Excel, I wonder what puts you off?
excel or honwave
which boat elling vs honwave vs f-rib
Old 14 July 2021, 13:15   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Correction there's also the Excel SD360
which boat elling vs honwave vs f-rib
Have had a quick look at that one. The issue is weight - its about 15kg more than the Elling - so not as easy for me to deal with single handed, and perhaps also not going to have the performance with just a 6 on the back. I'll take another look though, thanks.
Old 14 July 2021, 17:27   #26

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Honwaver T38 or Elling 350?

Quote:
Most important was that in every case apart from one that went bust mid complaint the dealers have stood by the product and replaced/refunded where the customer wanted. That’s a great reassurance if you had any significant problems.

Aye, that were me, guilty as charged. Dealer went bust shortly after purchase and after warranty claim instigated. Luckily Honda said carry on using it while they sorted out a replacement, otherwise it would have been sat at the dealers when the receivers walked in!

Anyways it had the dreaded ‘wonky keel’ which seemed to plague many of that vintage. Have to say it didn’t affect on water performance at all and after sorting out some initial ventilation issues (hull didn’t like the Merc/Mariner 20) went like the proverbial!

Being my nearest Honwave dealers, the nice guys at Boatworld, agreed to take onboard the claim on my behalf….big thanks chaps. First replacement had a leak (unlucky and not common) on the port cone end and second replacement was fine. Sadly this all took around 9 months to sort out and my ‘Honwave experience’ now somewhat jaded so sold the boat on unused…also had already purchased a tiny 3.4m Ocean Runner rib as a replacement.

Anyways, I’d have no qualms purchasing another Honwave if the need arose. They’re not expensive to start with, have good resale values and big brand name. Agree Honda are not interested in selling boats per se, just a vehicle to sell more of their motors, but they have a big reputation to maintain so will always be there to sort out any issues.
Old 14 July 2021, 21:28   #27

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Explorer 4
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 & 6
MMSI: 235913442
Late to the discussion: work getting in the way of life and only just had chance to drop in for an update!

Message for Mattster: I am Portsmouth area and have just acquired an Elling from a well known forum member! I would be delighted to let you see it ‘in the flesh’ having gone through the same internal debate myself and even maybe get out into Chichester Harbour. Not overly familiar with how the forum works and how we get in touch (PM?) but post a reply and I’m sure someone will guide us!
Old 14 July 2021, 22:26   #28

That's a stroke of luck Gary! Have answered your PM, but yes definitely keen to get a look at one IRL, as the kids say!
Old 15 July 2021, 07:17   #29

Responded to PM. Be great to meet and who knows, maybe get out on the water with a brace of Ellings!
Old 15 July 2021, 07:53   #30

Sounds like a plan Gary!
Old 16 July 2021, 13:47   #31

Ah, decision time! I could get the Honwave on Monday, but still struggling to source an engine (6hp, preferably Suzuki or Honda). Not much use without an engine though, so maybe I'll hang fire until the Ellings arrive..
Old 16 July 2021, 14:25   #32

Town: Northwich
Make: Elling
Engine: Orca 9.8 4 stroke
RIBase
Not sure about the T38 as never had one.
I am very happy with my Elling and think it is a good Joyce
Old 16 July 2021, 15:48   #33

The unavailability of an outboard throws the idea of boat asap a bit up in the air. But really no 6hp motors anywhere??
Old 16 July 2021, 16:01   #34

Quote:
The unavailability of an outboard throws the idea of boat asap a bit up in the air. But really no 6hp motors anywhere??
I've rung a few places now, and the upshot is nothing from Suzuki, Honda, Tohatsu at least until September. There is a chance of a Mariner sooner at one place, but not sure how I feel about that.

Actually, I found the information today about the Honwave instructive, rather in the same way that you toss a coin when you can't make up your mind - and if you are disappointed in the outcome, you know what you really want to do.

The final clincher for me - and thanks to people on this thread for pointing this out - is the removable floor, making it easier to lift/pack the separate parts. That and the other advantages of the Elling seem quite compelling, and if I have to wait for a motor anyway..
Old 20 July 2021, 08:18   #35

Decision time…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattster View Post
I've rung a few places now, and the upshot is nothing from Suzuki, Honda, Tohatsu at least until September. There is a chance of a Mariner sooner at one place, but not sure how I feel about that.

Actually, I found the information today about the Honwave instructive, rather in the same way that you toss a coin when you can't make up your mind - and if you are disappointed in the outcome, you know what you really want to do.

The final clincher for me - and thanks to people on this thread for pointing this out - is the removable floor, making it easier to lift/pack the separate parts. That and the other advantages of the Elling seem quite compelling, and if I have to wait for a motor anyway..
Have you spoken to the uk distributer of the Elling (BW)? Not sure how many they are expecting so would be worth pre-ordering if that is your decision. The offer to see one ITF stands if you want to give me a call.
Old 20 July 2021, 09:08   #36

>>> chance of a Mariner sooner at one place, but not sure how I feel about that.

You mean not sure about a Mariner?

Tohatsu, Mercury & Mariner portables all the same built in a joint factory. In fact all the mainstream OBs are totally fine re quality for our leisure use. It's my impression Honda and Yamaha have a slightly higher visible build quality but that doesn't particularly translate to a better or more reliable outboard.

So just choose on features and availability.
Old 20 July 2021, 09:13   #37

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
Have you spoken to the uk distributer of the Elling (BW)? Not sure how many they are expecting so would be worth pre-ordering if that is your decision. The offer to see one ITF stands if you want to give me a call.

Looks like they have 11 that can be pre ordered.
Old 20 July 2021, 09:14   #38

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
>>> chance of a Mariner sooner at one place, but not sure how I feel about that.

You mean not sure about a Mariner?
I feel the same, it's the colour and decals
Old 20 July 2021, 09:35   #39

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I feel the same, it's the colour and decals

Oh dear, that’s me stuffed then. Got four of these little beggars, all matching. Each to their own I suppose.

In defence the silver hoods show far less salt stains under way than you flash high gloss black guy’s. [emoji3]
Old 20 July 2021, 09:50   #40

Quote:
Tohatsu, Mercury & Mariner portables all the same built in a joint factory. In fact all the mainstream OBs are totally fine re quality for our leisure use. It's my impression Honda and Yamaha have a slightly higher visible build quality but that doesn't particularly translate to a better or more reliable outboard.

So just choose on features and availability.
Agreed - and availbility in particular being key right now. I had yammy 4 strokes on the two hard boats I owned, and couldn't fault them, but good luck finding one of their small outboards for sale now.

Anyway, developments. I have ordered the Honwave and a Tohatsu 6hp which came in unexpectedly at the same time. The motor is an external fuel tank model, with tank and line, and at a good price - as is the boat. I drive out West to pick it up on Thursday, and it will be inflated for inspection before I drive off with it - hopefully I can pick up any QC issues at the time and save another potential 6 hour round trip. Availability trumped the Elling in the end, and I am confident I will be happy in the Honwave but if not it should be easy to move on. It does mean that I should get some holiday days on the water with the kids, which was the deciding factor in the end.

Gary, still very keen to see your Elling. If you've got any trips out in the near future Langstone/Chichester/Selsey way please give me a shout and I will come and watch you launch, or whatever. We had a few fish out of Selsey on Sunday in those ridiculous conditions - maybe another couple of days coming up without wind as well, until it goes a bit pear shaped on Friday.