Old 30 April 2018, 21:21   #1

Town: Exeter
Boat name: -
Make: Honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: 15hp
Honwave t40 advice

I’m about to buy a honwave t40 and the plan was to buy a new Honda 20hp 4 Stoke outboard for it but it’s a bit expensive so I’m looking at a second hand outboard.
Would a 15hp Honda 4 stroke be ok to power it with 2 adults and 3 young children aboard?

Would a 2 stroke be a better choice ? Are they a lot noisier?

Also I plan on getting transom wheels for it because I live a stones throw or so away from a slip way and I want to pull it to the slip way, partially along a road.
Does this sound manageable?
Old 30 April 2018, 21:37   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I can only advise based on owning the smaller and slightly lighter 3.5AE.

I ran it with a 15hp 2-stroke which had powered and went onto power a total of 5 more SIBS from 3.4-3.8m.

The Honwave 3.5AE was the most reluctant to plane and overall had the poorest performance for any given passenger load of all the SIBs with the 15hp. So if you could find a 20hp for your 4m I'd do so.

If you were looking new I assume it was the near £2500 making you cough a bit?? What about something like this which sold recently at £1650... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253434367...84.m1436.l2649

RE 2-stroke yes noisier and use a bit more fuel but if you were sticking to a 20hp check out the weights carefully... now the best newer 20hp 4-strokes are down to 43/44kg they have become much more genuine competition to the 2-strokes in the usability stakes.
Old 30 April 2018, 22:04   #3

Ok I’ll try and get a 20hp 4 stroke.
Reckon the t40 would be manageable to pull around on transom wheels or a beach launch trolley/trailer?
Old 30 April 2018, 22:05   #4

I had a 2.7m sunsport last summer and I could put it on my shoulder and walk it to the sea
Old 30 April 2018, 22:37   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Big heavy SIB that and a 15 with that weight and load will struggle. You'll want a 20 minimum for sure which all creates a very heavy rig. Many have gone this route and then found it all too much, end up trailering etc and then realise they're maybe better off with a RIB or small hard boat and the SIB sweet spot is a 3.4m ish air floor with a lightweight 15 or 20.
Old 30 April 2018, 23:45   #6

>>>I want to pull it to the slip way, partially along a road. Does this sound manageable?

>>>had a 2.7m sunsport last summer and I could put it on my shoulder and walk it to the sea

Chalk and cheese compared to the T40. Have a look at this thread with some interesting comments and solutions...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/how-far...els-71295.html
Old 01 May 2018, 08:08   #7

Alex I wouldn't rule out the 15hp but whether you would be happy with it I think depends on your expectations
I've got a 15hp suzuki on my t40 and I've had it planing with 5 adults (4 of them quite light) so I'm sure you could manage with 2 adults and 3 children depending on the overall weight. But it can be quite hard to get on the plane and if you're on and off the plane due to sea state then it might be annoying not to have more power. Sometimes I wish I had a 20hp on mine

The t40 is a brilliant boat in my opinion and great value. There is loads of room in it. Heavy and a bit of a pain to build though. Really need transom wheels I think. If you're not sure and get a good enough deal on a 2nd hand package I'm sure you'd have no bother selling on if it wasn't right for you
Old 01 May 2018, 10:35   #8

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Having had the honwave T40 & vanguard excel 435 the excel is a far superior sib than the honwave
Old 01 May 2018, 10:43   #9

Duggie. Good foil to my comments that might have seemed negative.

To expand. I always say our Honwave 3.5 alloy floor was one of the most roomy, stable and practical SIBs we've owned for carrying folks and kit. Superb value too.

I like an outfit that will snap on the plane, off and back on again when we are working heavier seas and large boat wash etc. I found with the 15hp and a load of 2 robust adults, 2 teens, dog, 25l fuel and kit there was a bit of a delay getting back on the plane after slowing to displacement for a wash or large wave etc.

It was a bit like... open throttle, bow right in the air, send crew forrard and wait a bit more... slightly tongue in cheek but you know what I mean. So if we had any distance to do where it wasn't possible to stay on the plane it was a bit wearing.

Hence my assumption a 4m with a 15hp would suffer more in this respect.

HH why do you prefer the Excel 4.35 apart from the extra space?
Old 01 May 2018, 11:41   #10

Yeah that was more or less my experience fenlander with say 4 folk or 2/ 3 folk and a lot of kit. I guess it just depends whether yore happy with that sort of performance or not I suppose. If I was shopping about for a t40 now I'd really want a 20hp especially as usually no increase in weight - unless the 15hp deal was much cheaper

Was about to ask the exact same question to HH was curious to what makes it much better.

Cheers
Old 01 May 2018, 11:57   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i was in beaumaris last week at ABC power marine they had some 15 hp mercury's on offer nice engine
Old 01 May 2018, 13:57   #12

Don’t get me wrong the honwave is a good sib but the tubes are bigger the floor is thicker and for a smaller fee reinforced rubber gaurd can be put on for beaching and rocky coves they will also do a short and long shaft transom with different colours to offer compared to the honwave almost build your own sib !! Didn’t mean to be rude about your comments [emoji41]
Old 01 May 2018, 14:23   #13

HH I don't think it was taken as rude by either of us but I always like to hear why folks prefer different SIBs from actual experience.
Old 01 May 2018, 15:48   #14

20 hp would be the smallest that I would use personal for that size of sib like you said five people plus gear that soon adds up to a wee bit of weight and if in coastal waters would you would need that to get up and on the plane 🤠
Old 01 May 2018, 18:01   #15

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
First question is portability the honwave and excell are great boats but far from what you've had in terms of power needed and weight of the rig. That's why the bombard aerotec is so popular it fills the gap,performs really well , easy to set up no need for a trailer with a decent sized vehicle I would go and have feel of a used rig before you buy.
Old 01 May 2018, 18:27   #16

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Grey Reef
Make: Smartwave
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20E EPTL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwalms View Post
I’m about to buy a honwave t40 and the plan was to buy a new Honda 20hp 4 Stoke outboard for it but it’s a bit expensive so I’m looking at a second hand outboard.
Would a 15hp Honda 4 stroke be ok to power it with 2 adults and 3 young children aboard?

Would a 2 stroke be a better choice ? Are they a lot noisier?

Also I plan on getting transom wheels for it because I live a stones throw or so away from a slip way and I want to pull it to the slip way, partially along a road.
Does this sound manageable?
I've got a Honwave T40 and used to run it with a 4 stroke 20hp Mariner but I sold that and now have a 2 stroke 30 Yamaha motor.

The T40 is a heavy boat so while a 15hp will move you along at a decent rate it won't go anywhere near the boat's limits.
Old 01 May 2018, 20:48   #17

Town: Wigan
Boat name: ?
Make: Bombard 380
Engine: 2S18hp 2S15hp 2s9.8
You asked about do' able, the t40-ae weighs in at 85kg, (yes its a good size boat) engine depending on what you go for between 36-52kg either 2 or 4 stroke.
Once you add fuel 12-25kg plus.+ kit!!! That's a lot of weight to shift on transom wheels. Ok most of the weight is at the rear,,,, its still a lot to pull.

Don't be fooled by my name,,,, I'm not that big. I use an aerotec 43kg, 2 options for engines,, both 2 stroke 36 or 51kg, with fuel and I'm still 40kg less and it can be hard work pulling up some slipways. So much so I have to off load stuff at the bottom and carry up by hand,,,,, left over fuel, gear/kit. Would not like to man handle a boat over 50kg plus with ever thing on unless it was on a trailer. The idea is to have good time,,,,, and not do your back in dragging the boat out at the end of the day.