Length: 4m +
Evening gents! How are we all doin'?

Old 09 September 2015, 19:44   #42

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
We're doin' great... you got the police hat behind your back just in case??

:-)

Gurnard & I will never fall out... but I'm just going to have a grumble about selective quoting!

Be fair to me Gurnard that was a very selective out of context quote from a past post of mine and I wouldn't want anyone who reads your post above but doesn't click the link to think I'm saying Zodiacs only last 10/12yrs.

So what I said was as follows... and I've taken out nothing of importance re glued seam life just made it shorter to quote... caps use isn't shouting but I don't know how to do bold or italics...

<<<My 340 Acti-V Zodiac is 11yrs old (*MY MISTAKE IT WAS ACTUALLY 12YRS OLD)... with no signs of any glue/seam problem to worry about yet but I'm aware issue could arise so have a good pull at the seams/fittings every time I inflate.

The Aerotec is 17yrs old... there are signs of previous glue repairs plus there are some more bits I'll catch over the next year or so to keep it sound...so it will last many more years yet. Like many Zodiacs the tubes have welded seams so they should last a long time and the transom is sound so even if it does need further repairs it will be worth doing.

Of course if you think DIY repairing glued seams is not for you then keeping a PVC SIB beyond 10yrs will always be a gamble.

But in the scheme of life not much of a gamble. If you buy a new Zodiac Cadet around £1200 for the usual gentle leisure use and keep it 12yrs even if (*NOTE HERE I SAID EVEN IF, NOT WHEN) it does show some sign of glue issues it will probably still make £200 on Ebay. So that's cost about £80/yr which to me is absolute peanuts for the fun you have over the years.>>>

So not quite such a voice of doom for current/Zodiac owners as the selected quote might indicate. To expand on what I meant by "if you think DIY repairing glued seams is not for you then keeping a PVC SIB beyond 10yrs will always be a gamble"....

I know from own experience and another owner on here of Aerotecs suffering at 17yrs old. Last year I looked at buying two Zodiac 340s at different times which were both around 14yrs old with the start of glue issues.

So this is a possibility that needs considering when you buy a used Zodiac and in my personal age vs price consideration I'd have to think that at 10yrs old you are perhaps only looking at 5-7yrs before the glue pot might be needed and that needs to be realistically considered in what you pay. If you buy at 5yrs old then you have 10-12yrs before that time and it's quite likely you will sell on without needing to repair.

There are of course many PVC Zodiacs about of 17+yrs with no issues like your Seago.

It interests me why some glued seams last a far shorter time than others. With nothing to back it up I've always thought it is UV/weather/salt exposure that increases the rate of glue failure so a leisure use SIB that is washed off after use, dried and packed in its bag will last longer. Others have said to me they reckon it is the rolling up when packing that causes the increased rate of glue failure... so that one's up in the air.

Probably Office888 could set me straight on this issue.
Old 09 September 2015, 20:40   #43

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Eve’ning Willk .. I will agree again with Fenlander.. we are just nattering away together..not grunting at each other. Perhaps I spent too much time here today too ..as I was housebound ..although I can only say that for myself.

The only thing I think we might be guilty of .. is going off topic from Amukinado’s original post..so feel free to use your duster anywhere you think fit on my natterings.

Thanks for swapping thoughts Fenlander..I know we wont fall out... and I meant it in sincerity when I said .. Im sorry I missed you at Loch Sween. Despite our differences in opinion at times.. Im sure we are very alike and face to face would get on well. I think we offered some good information of different SIBs too..and that was the whole point behind our nattering

I have no more SIB type suggestion for Amukinado.. so unless he has any questions on anything I have mentioned.. so I will go back to sleep on this thread
Old 09 September 2015, 20:43   #44
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
..so feel free to use your duster anywhere you think fit on my natterings
Meh! I was just passing through. "As you were"....
Old 10 September 2015, 00:38   #45

Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Good evening guys.

I don't mind the off topic. I own a forum too and sometimes off topic is good to learn some new stuff.

I have followed the F-Rib from the beggining and I find it to be a very interesting product. Still, too expensive for me right now. Maybe it could be the best of both worlds as it seems to pack up nicely when deflated. I will still re evaluate the thing but I think it's hard to reach it.

Honwave is very popular here in Portugal (unlike most of the other brands you suggested) so tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find a T38 in a shop to take a look.

I don't like the wheel options for the Honwave but maybe I could build a dolly to launch it from the beach?

Do you recon the F9.9 is enough for the T38?
Old 10 September 2015, 06:39   #46

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
I use a 9.9 on my prowave 380 and it's fine. Planes with two, with one you'll need a tiller extension. You're not going to win any speed contests but still more than safe. The honwave owner we were out with had a Suzuki 15 with fins which was amazing. The fins made a huge difference.

If you're buying a new engine I'd buy larger than a 9.9, however if you've got a 9.9 currently, like I did, then I wouldn't replace it (unless you really want to or there's more than 2 of you)
Old 10 September 2015, 08:59   #47

What kind of difference do the fins make? Are they worth it?

By the way, I have been loking for prowave's website and haven't found it. Do you have it?
Old 10 September 2015, 09:04   #48

The fins apparently drop the top speed marginally but the hole shot is now almost non existent. I was quite impressed actually. It went from stand still straight to the plane with no nose rise.

I'll let others comment on the theoretical impact of the fins. I've not got them fitted to mine so other than the 5 mins I spent bombing around in the honwave, I've no other experience.

Prowave, unfortunately either closed or went bankrupt. I heard it was part of a divorce settlement, but might be wrong. There are quite a few people (on here as well I seem to remember) that use them though, a lot as safety boats at clubs etc. So you won't find a new one, however they do come up every now and then 2nd hand. Mine is coming up to 2yrs old now I think.
Old 10 September 2015, 11:48   #49

So the fins work like a deflector or a spoiler to keep the boat in the right position the whole time? That's neat... I usually just put my fishing gear in the front of the boat and it does the trick for me.

That's a shame about Prowave. They looked nice and I liked the red. Unfortunately I can't buy a used sib unless I do it in Portugal. If I'm importing it has to be brand new so I can register it. So no used Prowave or Aerotec for me. That's why I'm leaning towards the Honwave. It's easy to get one here and it's quite cheap to buy new.

I suggested the used Seapro because it was being sold by Bill Higham Marine so maybe they could write me a receipt with my name on it.
Old 10 September 2015, 22:13   #50

Today I had the chance to see the T38 IE. Damn, that boat is light... I thought it weighted the same as my Suzumar, but when I lifted the thing it just felt so much lighter!
I also really liked the small details that my boat lacks, like the inside handles close to the outboard, the handles in front, the straps for the tank and the tow rings. Those small details that can make your life so much easier...
The floor also felt a bit heavy duty and the V profile isn't that big of a deal. The price is very decent for the quality of the boat.

I also checked other dealers but Honwave is the only brand offering the product I am looking for.

Now I just have to decide if I keep my outboard or if I upgrade the whole pack for a T38 with a BF20. I have to check the dimensions and weight of the engine to see if I can get it in my boot and lift it easily.
Old 10 September 2015, 22:23   #51

>>>I also really liked the small details that my boat lacks, like the inside handles close to the outboard, the handles in front, the straps for the tank and the tow rings. Those small details that can make your life so much easier...

Agreed it's those details that were part of what impressed me when I bought a new Honwave 3.5 alloy floor a few years ago... also the heavyweight transom & strong seat etc. It is very hard to argue with their quality for the price.

If you could manage a 20 (I can't really) it would be huge fun.
Old 10 September 2015, 22:44   #52

It's 39 kg vs 47 kg. My yamaha F9.9 fits nicely into my boot but I'm not sure the BF20 does.
Old 11 September 2015, 08:22   #53

I can't remember what engine you said you currently have, but I think it was a 9.9?
The size of the bf 20 is likely to be ok, it's the weight for me.

At 46.5KG it's not light, but a very capable engine for that boat. As I said my 3.8 planes quite happily with my mariner 9.9 with 2 people and I can manage that engine weight quite easily. Go and find one and try lifting it and try it for yourself.

Also, if you're currently using a 2 stroke, remember the 4 strokes have to be on 2 of their 4 sides (normally tiller down or one of the two sides), so you may lose more boot space because of this than you currently do with the 2 stroke which you probably store prop down.
Old 11 September 2015, 09:40   #54

>>>if you're currently using a 2 stroke, remember the 4 strokes have to be on 2 of their 4 sides (normally tiller down or one of the two sides), so you may lose more boot space because of this than you currently do with the 2 stroke which you probably store prop down.

That's a really good point. My travelling setup is SIB well packed just fitting widthways in the loadspace pushed up to the back of the rear seats then there is just room for the outboard to sit behind the SIB prop down with other stuff like wheels packed around it. With an outboard that had to lay on its side... and with the often bulkier hoods of 20hp 4-strokes... I don't think the tailgate would close fully.
Old 11 September 2015, 09:48   #55

I have a Yamaha F9.9 4 stroke. I can manage it just fine alone and it fits nicely inside my Megane's boot. Weights 40 kg.

The BF20 is a bit bigger and weights 47 kg. I think I can manage the weight but I'm not sure I can fit it inside my trunk.

I have owned two 4 strokers so far so I am used to being careful when storing them. Only had a problem one time when a mate pick up my F2.5 for me and put it on the ground in the wrong position. Leaked a lot of oil so I had to buy some more. The only problem was the white smoke during the following days.
Old 11 September 2015, 09:55   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
That's a really good point. My travelling setup is SIB well packed just fitting widthways in the loadspace pushed up to the back of the rear seats then there is just room for the outboard to sit behind the SIB prop down with other stuff like wheels packed around it. With an outboard that had to lay on its side... and with the often bulkier hoods of 20hp 4-strokes... I don't think the tailgate would close fully.
The plan is to use the boot just for the outboard, gas tank, bravo pump (which I don't own yet), life jackets, alongside with some more gear. The boat is either going on top of the car (folded) or I'm folding the seats and putting everything in the trunk.
Old 11 September 2015, 09:58   #57

My outboard weights 52kg (mariner 25hp 2 stroke) Three years ago.. I could lift it but I would not like to carry it far..or lean over a boot lid.. it means bending my back to put it in a boot. I was used to moving 2ft by 3ft concrete slabs around then.

Im three years old..and 60 years of age.. and struggle lifting it. I can still use it no problem .. as I transport it on a sack trolley ..and slid it into my vehicle..which is like a van floor at the rear. But dont ask me to lift it
Old 11 September 2015, 10:28   #58

I'm 25. When I'm 60 I plan to have a pilothouse or a center console, or whatever exists at the time.
Old 11 September 2015, 11:19   #59

I'm not going to tell you not to but lifting 48KG of honwave T38-IE2 to head height and possibly into a roof box is going to require two people and isn't going to be pleasant to do, but certainly not impossible.

I'm 28 and last May I slipped three discs in my neck and had no feeling in my face with shooting pains down my right arm for 9 months with incredibly pain in my neck from lifting the 9.9 2 stroke out the boot of my car awkwardly. It was a very scary time and still get electric shock feelings now. It was this incident that made me get a trailer. It's also changed the way I look at lifting and doing things.

Be careful and don't strain yourself.
Old 11 September 2015, 11:28   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
I'm 25. When I'm 60 I plan to have a pilothouse or a center console, or whatever exists at the time.

Thats the plan of most young boaters..and I was the same at 25.

I was lucky..I had access to yachts and even hard shell motor boats in mid life.. but as I get older.. I find Im getting lighter and lighter boats as the years go on.

Different if you have a mooring though ..but when retired.. and I retired early to live my life for myself instead of giving it to an employer... who had only an interest in me as to how much money I could make them.

I dont have that kind of money..nor would I really want a big boat and mooring now anyhoo.

I think most folks plans and dreams..evolve and change ..all their days .. life life to the full ..thats the best way