Old 08 September 2023, 20:21   #1

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
Flares pros and cons

What are sibbers thoughts on the pros and cons of carrying flares? I have a VHF and plb. I don't have flares but was considering a smoke flare. I understand they are visible from a long distance and are relatively cheap but there is a fire risk and they don't last long when you set them off and you are relying on someone spotting them.
Do many sibbers carry them? Are they from a historic era before electronics and would I be safer carrying these explosives?
Old 08 September 2023, 20:44   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by essex View Post
What are sibbers thoughts on the pros and cons of carrying flares? I have a VHF and plb. I don't have flares but was considering a smoke flare. I understand they are visible from a long distance and are relatively cheap but there is a fire risk and they don't last long when you set them off and you are relying on someone spotting them.

Do many sibbers carry them? Are they from a historic era before electronics and would I be safer carrying these explosives?

It’s better to ask the question once, otherwise you get answers from all directions.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2023, 20:46   #3

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
For some years, I carried flares on my boat. I always had issues disposing of outdated ones, as I don’t live close to any approved recycling points. I eventually bought an Odeo electronic’flare’.
I understand they are probably not as effective in some situations, but they are safe to handle and store, and easy to use, and more economic over a long period. Now I’ve got an inflatable, I’d be very loathe to return to pyrotechnics, because of risk to the boat.
Although I’ve covered some ground, I’ve rarely been more than a couple of miles from shore. If your boating is further offshore and/or in challenging conditions, perhaps there is more reason to carry them
Old 08 September 2023, 21:20   #4

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
It’s better to ask the question once, otherwise you get answers from all directions.
Thanks for the reply. I posted this twice in error and cant see how to delete the duplicate.
Old 08 September 2023, 22:19   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As PD said...Had their day, PITA to dispose of, technology has overtaken them. PLB, VHF and an Odeo.

I first saw flares let off as a kid about 60yrs ago... very exciting. The next time was sometime before Covid and I had a horror that I'de been expecting perhaps to let these spark and fire spitting things off near a SIB's tubes/air floor. They went immediately never to return.

So I have an Odeo for night situations, a high power SOS flashing torch, VHF and PLB. And there is always the waved clothing tied to the extending boathook for day use!
Old 09 September 2023, 03:17   #6

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Here's the USA's requirements for flares.
https://www.boatus.org/distress-signals/requirements/

Expired hand held flares are my favorite way to kill gophers! My friends give me theirs, and I use them all. *Just not during fire season*
Old 09 September 2023, 21:59   #7

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post

Expired hand held flares are my favorite way to kill gophers! My friends give me theirs, and I use them all. *Just not during fire season*
And the David Attenborough award for animal conservation goes to...........................
Old 10 September 2023, 13:57   #8

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Where I'm from its compulsory to carry flare but they are pretty useless in many cases. If there's a brisk breeze the smoke blows away from a boat very close to water level where even 2km away is almost impossible to see. The hand flares are ok for night time if you are lucky enough that someone might spot the flare and no just think its a bright light on a boat. Rocket flares are good but expensive and again brief in burn time, so a few would be good.

I put my faith more into the compulsory Epirb we also have to carry on any vessel more than 2 miles from shore. I also use Garmin inreach devices which work similar to Epirbs and PLB's.

A PLB does not qualify here in Australia as a boat safety instrument where an Epirb does.
Old 10 September 2023, 22:08   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post

I read golfers……and thought that’s a tad harsh!

Kids and their parents digging holes in the sand on a working harbour slipway so your transom wheel drops in and bends it…….now that’s a different matter and quite acceptable I would say
Old 11 September 2023, 08:48   #10

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
[emoji23]
Old 11 September 2023, 11:07   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
As PD said...Had their day, PITA to dispose of, technology has overtaken them. PLB, VHF and an Odeo.

I first saw flares let off as a kid about 60yrs ago... very exciting. The next time was sometime before Covid and I had a horror that I'de been expecting perhaps to let these spark and fire spitting things off near a SIB's tubes/air floor. They went immediately never to return.

So I have an Odeo for night situations, a high power SOS flashing torch, VHF and PLB. And there is always the waved clothing tied to the extending boathook for day use!
Same here David my thoughts were venting fuel tank, tubes and dry suit
Old 11 September 2023, 11:20   #12
RIBnet Supporter

I'm currently re-supplying and the only pyro I'm giving any consideration to is a floating smoke. Odeo, PLB, DSC Handheld VHF, etc would be my primary plan.

Floating Smoke is with Helo Ops in mind. Typically, the helo has been tasked to save yer ass. However, it has to find it first, and then pilots are real particular about wind direction. I had the pleasure of being an a SAR S-92 that got tasked to a sinking "white boat". When we arrived at the general location there were maybe 40 white boats in a relatively small bay (near a marina). There was a lot of swearing aloft. Luckily, the RNLI arrived at that point and we bailed, but a floating smoke would have been real useful - no safety issues onboard a small craft either. The plume is easier to see from above.