Old 28 June 2014, 22:13   #21

Town: Oop North
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
It looks a lot like a Aerotech

There is so much difference in pressure washers, a £50 quid one from Lidl isnt going to harm it but a commercial Karcher could cut a sib in half

Yes it's an Aerotec, and it was a cheapo Wickes pressure washer that did the damage.
Old 28 June 2014, 22:45   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Done it pal just putting pigeons to bed
You missed one:

This pigeon is just tickled pink with Bettystown - Independent.ie
Old 01 July 2014, 20:35   #23

Town: Herne Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Superb topic, thanks very much for posting as this is exactly the reason (as per the 'Which SIB'?) sticky so many of us always advocate buying a used big name SIB and popular engine. If you don't get into 'it' you can sell them on at virtually no cost and at least you have given it a go.

Boats are a right royal PITA and faff at times and often the effort doesn't seem worth it (loading it all up, dragging up and down a beach, too choppy when you get there, load it all up again, wash it, flush it, dry it, pack stuff away.......etc), hence the popular saying about the happiest days of a boat owner being the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat...

But the good days make up for it and as you say you're doing something different with the kids while so many stare at a telly or video game screen all weekend...

Would you consider copying your first post into the sticky as above as it's a valuable lesson as much as any other.

I would spilt all your gear up and sell, you'll do much better that way.

One other point is that small 2 strokes are noisy and if running at displacement speeds stick to 4 kts or so, the gains at 5 or 6 are not worth the huge increases in noise.

Also fit a floor mat of some sort, the non slip deck of SIB airfloors holds onto dirt terribly. Tubes are relatively easy to keep clean though.

I am looking to buy my first SIB/ outboard soon, having read the sticky post regarding SIB's and some insight from Landlockedpirate I am now scouring the second hand market for a 3.4-3.8m SIB and 2 stroke 15hp outboard,

Having read this post, would I be right in saying 2 strokes are louder than 4 strokes (of an equivalent hp), is it really that noticeable?

T4bus mentioned that on the river it was noisy, so does the same apply on the open sea, or is it more down to the speed you are required to travel on rivers?

I intend to use mine (when I get it) mostly at sea as we live by the coast, but I can see it being used on a local river too.
Old 01 July 2014, 21:02   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
6 or 7 knots is simply the "wrong" speed.

At 4 knots the boat will be at displacement speed with the engine barely ticking over.

Flat out the boat will be doing 20 knots and the noise will be all part of the fun.

At 6 or 7 knots the noise will be just the same as flat out but without the fun.
Old 01 July 2014, 21:08   #25

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Yes, they are noisy and you sit right next to them. Like being sat next to an annoying little scooter or a lawnmower etc...
Old 01 July 2014, 21:26   #26

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Yes, they are noisy and you sit right next to them. Like being sat next to an annoying little scooter or a lawnmower etc...
The noisier they are, the faster they go and the bigger the grin factor.
Old 01 July 2014, 22:27   #27

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
My two stroke is slightly bigger than what you are looking at, but when running at speed without ear plugs it leaves a buzzing in my ear. If it is just me in the boat and I am covering ground, I put in ear plugs. I am sure the sound level is above the USA's OSHA standard. Too loud!
Old 11 July 2017, 07:19   #28

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Excellent thread. On the noise front I was amazed at how quiet my 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke is.

Also I think it is worth saying that boating will always be a faff. You can do stuff to make it easier but it is all part of it and to have fun and enjoyment there is often effort required

Dennis
Old 11 July 2017, 09:45   #29

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I don't remember that thread but yes it is interesting. Given T4bus's problem getting to sea launch had he concentrated on the river all he needed was a 4hp 4-stroke for 4-5mph silence and a post 2010 air floor Zodiac which would be the later wipe clean material then his main gripes would have not existed.

But as he said buying used with advice from here he only lost £100 for a year or so's fun so actually a decent result. And changing from SIB to 5 kayaks would not have been a problem with a T4 I guess.
Old 11 July 2017, 12:25   #30

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
ear defenders/plugs ? would sort the engine or part chop it for a small 4 stroke the 15 will sell easy

takes me a lot longer than the OP to sort my rig when i get back but if you want it to last and not let you down, time well spent. but if it's not for you fair enough.
Old 11 July 2017, 21:56   #31

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I nearly responded directly to the original post before I saw that this is a thread revived from a few years ago.

3 SIBs and 25+ years of SIBbing, and I have never spent an hour scrubbing it. You see SIBs and RIBs permanently at harbour moorings. They are robust.

4 or 5 engines from 3 - 15 hp, 2 and 4 stroke, and the noise at sub planing speeds has never been an issue. If the engine is too loud, either go more slowly, or get up on the plane and have some fun.

SIBs are sometimes hard work: all that inflating and deflating and packing and unpacking, but anything worthwhile takes effort.

It's always a pity when someone gives up, when 9 times out of 10, it is just a matter of adjusting your approach.
Old 12 July 2017, 05:49   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I nearly responded directly to the original post before I saw that this is a thread revived from a few years ago.

3 SIBs and 25+ years of SIBbing, and I have never spent an hour scrubbing it. You see SIBs and RIBs permanently at harbour moorings. They are robust.

4 or 5 engines from 3 - 15 hp, 2 and 4 stroke, and the noise at sub planing speeds has never been an issue. If the engine is too loud, either go more slowly, or get up on the plane and have some fun.

SIBs are sometimes hard work: all that inflating and deflating and packing and unpacking, but anything worthwhile takes effort.

It's always a pity when someone gives up, when 9 times out of 10, it is just a matter of adjusting your approach.
+1 to all of that
Old 12 July 2017, 07:37   #33

I'm with Mike on the cleaning thing. I don't bother. Is there much point spending lots of time cleaning a sib?
Old 12 July 2017, 07:54   #34
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie12 View Post
Is there much point spending lots of time cleaning a sib?
I suppose it depends on how dirty it gets! Certainly I don't bother rinsing a cleanish SIB - I used to, but I quickly gave it up as a faff. I'm very particular with the motor though.

I know this is an old thread and the OP has moved on - but it is a recurring theme. I see a shed load of new boaters asking about SIBs for river and lake use and I'm not sure they are ideal for newbies wanting a quick dip. Portability seems to be the attraction.

I find boating is an immense faff. It can be refined and contained, but it's still a faff. Non-boaters don't get this and thus partners and friends find the entire process unbearable. I can't imagine how it would be with children - good if you keep it streamlined and involve them maybe?
Old 12 July 2017, 08:16   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I suppose it depends on how dirty it gets! Certainly I don't bother rinsing a cleanish SIB - I used to, but I quickly gave it up as a faff. I'm very particular with the motor though.

I know this is an old thread and the OP has moved on - but it is a recurring theme. I see a shed load of new boaters asking about SIBs for river and lake use and I'm not sure they are ideal for newbies wanting a quick dip. Portability seems to be the attraction.

I find boating is an immense faff. It can be refined and contained, but it's still a faff. Non-boaters don't get this and thus partners and friends find the entire process unbearable. I can't imagine how it would be with children - good if you keep it streamlined and involve them maybe?
Life is a faff. Most things worth doing involve a faff. One of the worst modern sayings I hear is 'Cant be arsed' Think of the faff people in years gone by had to endure just to say get a drink of water. Some people today expect it all sorted for them.
Old 12 July 2017, 08:17   #36
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

The only good thing is you can turn them into deck hands to scrub the boat. The bad news is they'll do such a bad job you'll have to do it again (without them noticing - or they will be offended)! Same applies to children !
Old 12 July 2017, 08:28   #37

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
If you think boating is a faff, try chucking scuba diving into the mix[emoji849] after a weekends diving which probably amounted to 3-4 hours in the water on open circuit, there was a day's worth of cleaning, filling, storing boat & diving kit. Don't even get me started on rebreathers[emoji15]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 08:35   #38

If people don't want faff they could I suppose just lay in bed all their life doing nothing
Old 12 July 2017, 09:03   #39

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
ear defenders/plugs ? would sort the engine or part chop it for a small 4 stroke the 15 will sell easy

takes me a lot longer than the OP to sort my rig when i get back but if you want it to last and not let you down, time well spent. but if it's not for you fair enough.
bugger didn't notice the date but enjoyed the yorkshireman's directness made i larf
Old 12 July 2017, 10:32   #40

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Quote:
I can't imagine how it would be with children - good if you keep it streamlined and involve them maybe?
The boy (7) loves the faff. What's not to love? Electric pumps, helping dad lift the engine, putting on the paddles, attaching the anchor... he loves it...

The girls, they hate it...

That's why the SIB (3.8 Honwave) travels short distances on the roof of the car when on holiday. Car park to leaving the beach/harbour time is frequently sub 10 minutes.

As for clean up. The engine gets flushed/rinsed and unless very dirty the boat goes away as-is.