Old 23 March 2016, 17:06   #1

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
F-Rib 275 ..first impressions

There is a saying that no boat is perfect.. we all have to compromise and settle on a vessel that ticks most boxes for us. I guess thats why I still own 3 inflatable ? boats. I have retired my Seago 260 Slat floor after 16 years of faithful service. She is still going well and would probably last a few years yet.. but because she is so old..her tubes are only 32mm diameter .. and because of the slat floor..a displacement design. Modern SIBs all have at around 40mm or greater tube diameters and have a hull shape designed to plane.

I have pondered over retiring the Seago for well over a year now..my only dilemma was what to replace her with. I still have the Quicksilver 4.3 ..heavy trailered SIB for rough weather and exposed ..open sea adventuring.. so rough water handling was not a tick on the list.

Important ticks were..it must be light..portable ..fit easily in my car .. and be able to be chucked across rocks and barnacled shored. The cheap seago was excellent at this.

I wanted a light outboard to power the boat..Im not too concerned of it being able to plane..as it is to explore close inshore.. get into narrow geos and under sea arches. Therefore weight and small packaging are essential..but the ability to plane with a very small and light outboard was a big attraction.
I did consider everone’s favourite suggestion ..the Aerotec.. but had read it is a draggy hull shape..so I doubt a small.. (and Im talking 4hp engine size) ..wouldn’t plane it ? I believe the wee F-Rib will plane with one ..using a 4hp..in fact..Im hoping my 3.3Hp might just get it going on a flat sea.

I am not a fan of any high pressure air floors of any brand.. as Im kind of rough on my boats..fishing..dropping stuff etc So that took the air floor SIBs..off my tick list.

Im lucky..I recently retired and got a nice lump sum..so money was not an issue. In fact..Im normally a stingy Scotsman..but a recent health scare ..made me worry about leaving money behind..so best spend some while I can.

By a process of elimination.. I arrived at what I think is the perfect replacement for the Seago Slat Floor...

Meet “The Guppy”..yup its the smallest of the F-Rib range.. and its just out the box today.

I ordered it yesterday lunch time..and it arrive from down south..to Scotland..today..yeah.. 100% for delivery promises.

It took me by surprise as when I lifted the box .. wow..it was heavy. Then to my relief.. I found lumps of wood in the box..packing wood to ensure it transport without damage. The boat is 36kg and I can lift it ..easy as the Seago..it was 34kg. ..yeah 100% for good packing..and not opened since shipped from the factory.

It has a thick canvas type bag which holds the seat.. the oars.. the pump.. and a repair kit. .. and a heavy wrapper to hold the boat.

Yeah..I give that lot 100 % too..well..except for the pump. I did try it..but was impatient and threw it to the side. I don’t like foot pumps..but thats just me. My Coleman lilo electric inflator which cost £25 years ago..inflated it nicely..then I finished it off with the Quicksilver double action hand pump. Its the same fittings so everything is interchangeable. No need for high pressure air floor pumps either. It has 4 air compartments on the tubes too.

Its very easy to unfold..the tubes are huge compared to the Seago..so it wont be as wet a boat.. but the thing that really tickles me pink is.. when I stand in it..it is like my hardshell boats.. but then that is not a surprise ..it is a small RIB after all..not a SIB. ..for that.. I give it 110%..

Quality and workmanship is first class..no dings or chips in the hull edges.. glue looks well done..no marks on tubes ..and so far..no leaks

That is my first impressions of the F-Rib 275.. I have still to try her on the water..but research and talking to folks that actually own F-Ribs ..has me very confident that it will suit my needs 150%

In fact .. Im that confident that I will start customising it to turn it into my own needs boat..after its maiden voyage. This may or may not invalidate the warranty..but I strongly suspect the boat will last my retirement years.. with no problems at all.

Forgive me for a hasty written first impression..but Im now going to fill her with hot water..and take a bath in her as I watch TV.. Yup..Im confident the hull wont leak all over my carpet.

Thanks for reading
Old 23 March 2016, 17:49   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ahh an excellent and intelligent choice Gurnard. The boat you want for the places you go at a price you can afford. Spending a bit of pension lump is good too and something we're familiar with.

Really looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.

We had similar thoughts a couple of years ago re tube sizes having downshifted to an old Avon with small tubes. In truth we felt a bit at the mercy of the elements and it shipped loads of water.

I'd guess the ideal motor for that Frib would be a 5hp to keep portability high on the list but allow a decent one-up plane performance.... but you might be happy with the existing motor.

Anyway enjoy that bath!!
Old 23 March 2016, 18:04   #3

Yup..that is my idea Fenlander ..later in the season..get a 6hp... as 4 ..5..and 6hp all seem to be around the mid 20Kgs..ie 25 or so.

It future proofs my needs ..because as I get older the 25hp and Quicksilver get heavier ..Im sure you know what I mean. Im keeping both going..but the more I look at the wee F-Rib..the more I think it could get most use this year ?

But once the season starts..and I get notions to visit islands 10 miles or more off shore..the Quicksilver will take off then :-D
Old 23 March 2016, 18:37   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Nice one gurnard had me fooled thought you had gone Ali hull the pics do it justice too very clean lines.

Cheers
Old 23 March 2016, 18:53   #5

Nice one Gurnard!
I like the look of that new tub a lot:thumbup:.
I'm just back from a jolly around Loch Doon in my little Seago.
It's almost a year to the day that it had its maiden voyage.

It's had a few mods since then.
I'm sure it won't be long until you've got your drill and saw out customising it to best suit your requirements.

You might be converted to getting a wee set of transom wheels to save the luvvly gel coat of the Frib hull from scuffs when beach landing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1458758832428.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	111455   Click image for larger version

Name:	1458758870518.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	111456  
Old 23 March 2016, 19:12   #6

Hi Jeff..Im still thinking Ali hull to replace the Quicksilver..as its a lot lighter..but I may also go back to a hardshell with a bunk and mooring ..when that time comes. It certainly wont be this year..Im not that ill that I need to spend all my cash this year :-D

The F RIB fits perfectly in my 4x4 ..in the space the Seago was transported in. This leaves my car bunk unobstructed...but the boat will still be put outside at night..along with the milk bottles. It will be great when I disappear running round hills..then ... for a rest..go boating.. while staying in the car during good weather. Its the way I can see most the coast of Scotland and not restricted to one area.

The smelly stuff..like my wet hiking socks ..outboard motor..fuel..oars etc..all go in the roof box. Thats why Im keen for a lightweight outboard ..rather than a heavy faster outboard. I can easily lift my wee 3.3hp into the roof box.

As mentioned..no boat is perfect..but by having two or three .. means I can cover most of my needs. I cant wait to try her out..unfortunately the car is booked into garage tomorrow..then weekend weather is looking cold and rough again .. so ..perhaps I should have bought an aeroplane instead.

However..the F RIB will suit me down to the ground for my use. Note the sharp bow shape in the above photo. It will cut through waves no problem. I suspect the tubes may slap a bit if too rough.. but they will make the boat far more stable at rest for fishing.. etc. My deep V hardshells rock a lot at anchor.. I suspect its the nature of the beast.. and is why cathedral hull boats and dorys are still very popular choices with fishermen guys. They all plane in the rough..and I see no reason why this one wont either..but time will tell

Kaman..I love my wee seago..but will recycle parts to put into the FRIB..including its heart.

Yours is the modern seago too..my tubes were smaller diameter cos its an old model.

You know I prefer an aux to transom wheels.. so wont go the traditional route..but I have an idea that will work..watch for the modifications soon
Old 23 March 2016, 19:33   #7

RIBase
Gurnard had a look on the F rib site impressive performance with small motors I can see you having a rig around the 60kg mark that will suit most needs.a 6hp would do everything with power in reserve and the bigger tubes gives more reashoreance in the rough. A 2.5hp also enough to shore hop.
Looking forward to the maiden voyage report.

Cheers
Old 23 March 2016, 19:48   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Interesting bit of Kit...I'll look forward to hearing how she performs/compares.
Good luck Fair weather and Following Seas
Any names in mind Mr G?

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 19:55   #9

I'm sure you will tailor it to suit your needs Gurnard.
Think you might manage to squeeze 2 little sub 4hp engines on the transom - perfect for extended sight seeing jaunts.
I think a6hp would fly along for those short blasts when your not going too far afield to worry about an Auxiliary.
I like having both transom wheels and Auxiliary Engine.
I just managed to squeezed in both on my Seago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1458762798289.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	111459   Click image for larger version

Name:	1458762834059.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	111460  
Old 23 March 2016, 20:07   #10

cracking looking boats these, Clyde outboards have a couple of them in stock, gets the wallet twitching every time i'm in there.

I did find the source about 8 months ago and i contacted them in China. shipping for 1 boat wasn't doable obviously. with that said, even with VAT it would have been less than £1k each if 5 were bought and shipping split.
Old 23 March 2016, 21:19   #11

I assume you might think of splashing out on a new 4-stroke motor for it Gurnard? If so quite correct re weights... anything up to 6hp usually 25kg or so. Move to an 8hp 2cyl and they jump to 40kg and near double in price.
Old 23 March 2016, 21:21   #12

Hi Maximus ..I called my Quicksilver “The Gurnard” because it was the first species of fish I caught on her maiden trip. Im playfully calling this puppy ... “The Guppy” but that may change depending on my thots on its first fishing trip. I will pour half a tin of Guinness on her bow when I launch her..then take it from there..

Looks good Kaman..I don’t know how you manage to get so much in your SIBS..everything has its place though. Im thinking of more a launching trolley type of transom wheels..example boat sat on wheels and axle at the rear..and because its a solid hull..ropes from the axle assembly to the front of the boat ..instead of metal arms of a normal launch trolley..if that makes sense.

Xk59D..yup..I must admit ..I am impressed with the idea and quality of these boats..in fact..Im in love with mine already..and its not seen the sea yet.

Re price .. Its the same with most things..cameras... computers ..laser cutters etc..half the costs in the east ..than we pay here.However..if our customs and excise men catch on..I believe they soon bump up the costs ?

I do agree that it is an expensive boat when brand new but there are no second hand ones at present. Did you see the SR4 and 40hp Mariner plus trailer .. for sale in north Ayrshire last week..it looked in great nick and almost same price as this boat. I would have gone for it..if it suited my needs.. as it was more boat for buck..but I honestly don’t mind the cost for this one..I m getting high on the smell of new PVC and glue..instead of the smell of old fish that a second hand boat often has. I saved some money by buying from down South..which helps my happy high too.

Im still playing with it in my living room..which is why the SR4 was out..it wouldn’t fit..and I don’t have space outside. However it is a delight playing with a new boat..and Im finding its very easy to modify to my needs. I don’t like the floor shape..I like flat floors..but that is a very easy sort..the slats out the Seago will make duck boards for the floor.. which then gives me a nice bilge area .. and the way it folds up..they can stay there permanent...without interfering with the folding motion.

The Seago had a grey carrier bag too..I have unpicked the stitches for all the trying straps.. and it is the makings of a nice spray dodger... A box up front with a lid..will make the fish finder and bating table etc..all just ideas..but playing with a new boat in the house is a great past time. The seago seat is perfect for my bench too..with its waterproof box for tools and small cameras ..

yup..Im recycling seago parts .. waste not want not...I loved that boat too

Old 23 March 2016, 22:00   #13

hey bud,

no, the boat was circa 550 quid for a 3.2 i think it was i priced....would need to dig through emails to know for sure. it was certainly under 1k though inc vat/shipping for 5.

i did find a dealer who had a winboat 3.7 i think it was for £850 and would ship it here from Russia. i didn't peruse it at the time though to find out shipping etc.

cheers
Old 23 March 2016, 22:50   #14

Good to see your thinking of your carbon footprint there Gurnard and recycling the old Seago.
I know the weather forecast is pants for the next wee while so you will have time on your hands to ready your new tub for her maiden voyage.
I see your already making progress.
A spray hood coming along - look forward to hearing all about its maiden voyage.
Old 24 March 2016, 17:10   #15

Thanks again for looking in and commenting guys

Although I love my new puppy.. I didn’t sleep in her last night..but she is still assembled in my wee living room. I was delighted to find no air loss from leaks or valves..despite removing the outer covers..which are often the final air seal for the valves.

I spent the day making the spray dodger for it ..out of my old Seago Slat floor carrier bag. Its a waterproof nylon type material..and was still in good condition..despite being sixteen years old. My dear departed mothers sewing machine was Singing again today..as I cut and stitched it to shape.

The F-Rib was a delight to make the dodger for.. no alterations were made to the boat at all.

My flexible tent pole which forms the bow shape of the dodger.. fits very nicely into the existing fitting on the tube ... that the safety rope is terminated on.

I had four clips on my old Seago bow bag..which I recycled to the spray dodger. Their nylon hooks attach nicely into the rail of the rubbing strip.

I will buy four more clips so its got a better grip..but for now..its perfect..and Im pleased with the outcome.. Off the boat..it rolls up into a 2.5 foot long tube approx 1.5” in diameter..so stows nicely

Its not as shabby as my seago’s plastic tarp dodger was...but it will be as effective.

Now that I have tailor fitted her new suit..and ... it fits just fine.. I will fold the boat up..and shove it in my shed..where I will also start a bit of woodwork.. for some more mods.
Old 24 March 2016, 19:35   #16

Quite a seamstress eh Gurnard! That looks like an original Frib item... and theirs (albeit with a window) is £185!!

I reckon this has the makings of a very interesting inshore (give or take a bit) craft.
Old 24 March 2016, 20:07   #17

RIBase
Excellent job gurnard mums singer certantly no wasted and the fabric matches nicely.

Cheers
Old 25 March 2016, 10:52   #18

Thanks for the kind comments Fenlander and Jeff.

My mother was a sewing teacher ..and just before she left this world..she told me “ Gurnard..you better come and learn how to use my sewing machine..as shortly I will not be able to shorten your new trousers.. or sew on patches “. She taught me well.. but the Spray dodger is not perfect .. however it cost me nothing ...its all recycled bits n bobs.

In my opinion mine is a better size than the F-Rib one. The bought one is huge..but I imagine it is for the fishermen folks who want a bit of shelter from the rain while dipping their lines.

I have been told by the guys that I know who have F-Ribs that its a dry boat.. so a dodger is not a necessity. I like them as I can chuck my jacket and light loose stuff up front..and know it will still be dry and not bounce out the boat..if it gets a bit choppy. The F-Rib canopy is large ..even when folded down..although it stows on the bow tubes ?..so not really an issue.

Here is mine folded.. it can be stowed anywhere and is no size at all.

The honeymoon period for my F-Rib is now over.. and its outside. Its great to get my living room back.

Its when I moved it outside..I found my first niggle with the boat..and it is not the boat’s fault..its my fault. I thought I could easily lift 36kg for 100 yards across a stony beach. I managed my wee seago at 34kg. I don’t have scales..so not in a position to weigh boats..but the Seago was either .. a light 34kg..or the F-Rib is a heavy 36kg.

Its not all doom and gloom though..its easy to lift in and out cars on my own. Some sort of sack barrow will soon get it across a beach too. In all honest..the F Rib video does mention it is a two man lift.

So now its outside..I can give a few more photos of the boat and the spray dodger. The F-Rib is a bigger than the Seago was.. a wee bit longer..a bit wider ..and a big bit deeper ..and all that suits me down to the ground. Plenty of room as I mostly go to sea alone. It will take three adults but I would only do that if my two passengers were wummin and who didn’t have bad breath.

A front view..once I get extra clips..the wrinkles will smooth out..wish I could do the same for my old wrinkles

A rear view ..with the back stays in place. I don’t think they are needed but in a strong following wind..it wont take off ..and gives me peace of mind. The stays don’t interfere with the oars

And a profile view..which shows its height. Not so much windage as the manufacture’s canopy

While talking a load of oars..that is my other slight niggle.. but again its not the boat’s fault.

I enjoy rowing a wee boat and often go quite a distance..it saves going to the gym for a workout. Unfortunately all SIBs nowadays seem to fit pins that go through the oars ..instead of old fashioned rowlocks. I cant feather my oars when rowing with pins. I also punt and even skull my boat ashore with an oar over the transom. That is impossible with screwed down pin oars. Guess I will have to get used to the new way.

Ok..Im a picky bugger..but I still give my boat 150% out of 100% ..and am delighted with it. Cant wait to get her on the water..but as it is to be a wild windy weekend..I will do more home build bits until the weather settles again..so if interested..look back later to see what else I dig up out of scraps.
Old 25 March 2016, 16:41   #19

I thought I would showing in detail ..how Im getting round the sloping floor issue of the F-Rib ..in case any other owner wants to try this DIY accessory. Not that there is a problem standing on a sloping floor.. but I don’t want to..especially as a simple “duck board” modification lets me keep my feet flat on the floor.

The wooden Seago slats .. that carried me on many a great adventure ..will continue to carry me to many more adventures. They form the base of the duck board.

First I needed to cut a pine cross beam to length and shape (Its the white wood in this photo) Its important to ensure the angle of the end cuts fit flush on the fibre glass slope of the F-Rib. This helps avoid pressure points if badly cut. I only had one and a half inch x half inch pine at hand..so I glued two together to form one and a half inch depth and one inch width cross beams. Thats why the clamp is still on.. the glue is not quite dry yet.

Its also important to cut the cross beams to a length ..so the top surface of the boards are flush with the top of the folding joints of the F-Rib. This means I can either keep the duck board in situ when folded ...or I can lift it out ..if I choose.

When cutting the boards..I intentionally left the gaps. That way I can see if any water is collecting in the bulge space below. Its also nice to have a space..so and mackerel I catch get a chance to get under the floor. That is all part of the fun of fishing. The length of the boards are a snug fit into the space between the folding parts of the boat..so they remain in position and not slop around in a chop.

I may cut a third cross beam..if I think it needs more strength to support my weight..but I think two will do for now.

The pieces are all just cut and placed in position for the photos. I will round off all edges..glue and screw it all together ...then paint it a nice matching grey. Im not making one for the back section as I sit on my bench..facing front when underway. I have plans for that back section for another mod.. but that’s for later.

I will post the final duck boards when complete..IMO.. they will make a big improvement to the boats comfort. Its light and easy made too.
Old 27 March 2016, 13:29   #20

As soon as I lifted the F-Rib.. I realised I had been a bit over enthusiastic thinking I could carry the 36kg of weight over 100 yards or so of rocky shore.

I have an allergy to SIB transom wheels because ..they are very expensive and some cheaper ones break easy .. they involve drilling the transom. Last but not least .. they clutter up the back of the boat ..making it very difficult to fit an Auxiliary outboard.

Therefore..for me ..the F-Rib brand wheels ..or any other make ..of transom wheels were not for me.

But that is because I know there is as many ways to launch a boat..as there is to skin a cat.

I knew I needed wheels.. I knew I wanted them portable and take up little space ..I knew I wanted them to be very cheap.

That ruled out a traditional launching trolley..too bulky.. and still too expensive. I could use my inflatable roller boats..but decided the best thing was the way folk used to launch rowing boats etc before the SIB came along.

I chose to make a transom dolly .. it cost me £30 to make ..has 18” pneumatic tyres so can handle any shore I choose ..and last but not least ..its Clyde built and designed .. in other words..very robust. Ideal for my use..a bit more difficult with a very heavy outboard though..as you don't attach the outboard until you are in the water.

Never heard of a transom Dolly ? I guess you are not as old as me then. So here is the one I made for the F-Rib

This photo shows it stored under the seat and in the empty space behind me. I can stand on it as a duck board...its unbreakable

A front view of it stowed under my seat. I will get a couple of plastic end caps so the axle wont damage the tubes if is bounces around in a chop.

It can still be stowed fully assembled ..if I want to use it again shortly. It is only finger tight 12m nuts that hold the wheels on the axle.

It is very simple to use in practice. It is basically a board with an axle and wheels mounted to the bottom. It has a shelf above the wheels that the rear of the boat sits on ..and at the top..it has a couple of angle brackets that fit over the transom. These hold it in place as you move the boat...it can be pushed forwards..or backwards.. because of the two ropes that are attached to the shelf that the boat is sat on..also helps hold the dolly in place.

The rope is fed under the boat and turned round the front handle. I lift and pull the rope and the boat moves no problem. The ropes acts like the front spar of a traditional launch trolley

This photo shows the angle brackets on the transom..which prevent the rope pulling the dolly under the boat.

To install the Dolly.. lift the transom.. put the hooks over the transom.. push the shelf under the boat..let the boat sit on the shelf. Feed the ropes up under the boat..round the handle ..and off you go.

Some of the old timers I knew..use to use their outboard instead of angle brackets..in other words ..the board was cut flush with the transom height..they then put their outboard on the transom ..including the board.. and tighten the outboard mounts.

I didn’t do it this way as it was slightly more difficult to do single handed. However I have been know to use a G clamp to firmly hold the board to the transom bracket on really rough ground.

Here is a photo of the boat sitting on the shelf. Just look at that.. no holes in the transom at all. Its sitting on wood..so wont damage the hull. I may or may not pad it a little once it is painted Guppy Grey

The 18” wheels are Screw Fix ones. The cost £15 each..but I have bought a few and know that in their January sales ..they always offer two for the price of one..so both wheels cost me £15 total.

I got the threaded rod for the axle..and the heavy duty metal angle brackets for shelf and transom brackets from the local DIY store ..another £15. The wood is recycled from my seago store and also the wooden pallet the boat arrived on..so no cost.

I will paint it guppy grey to match the boat..at present the undercoat is still soft. I had the paint from other jobs..so again no cost

Sometimes the old ways are still the best..at least for me..but then..Im an old codger like the guys that launched their wooden tenders this way .... many years go.

Tags
rib