Old 10 April 2016, 14:55   #1

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
How do you transport your SIB?

So keenly following FirstRIB's foray into the SIBing world and transport options with a Ford KA someone comment on how I transport using a bike rack... Well, here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1460299993.497402.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	111827

In past threads there was also discussion about roof-top carriage so likewise, here's how we've been transporting on holiday for journeys up to about 7 miles at up to about 45mph:

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1460300070.034374.jpg
Views:	4280
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	111828

Believe it or not I've not yet had my SIB in the boot of the car, does it even fit with the engine in too? Who knows?
Old 10 April 2016, 15:21   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Not seen it done like that before ! (On a bike rack, quite an overhang!)

Inflated on the roof is fine particularly short low speed journeys
Old 10 April 2016, 15:25   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Can you see out of the windscreen??

Sh1t happens
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2016, 16:06   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Can you see out of the windscreen??

Sh1t happens
Shiezzen...Only if he's Warwick Davis!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2016, 21:02   #5

Visibility barely impaired unless I'm trying to plane spot and there is no overhang on the bike rack, in fact there's about an inch spare before the light board. The only minor issue is the bike rack option does put bring the tail down quite a bit.
Old 11 April 2016, 08:03   #6

Town: LONDON
Hi Stigomery,

Is that a T38? And also if I remember rightly I read you were considering a Excel 360.

I'm also considering both models and wonder what swang you to the Honwave?
Old 11 April 2016, 08:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Hi Stigomery,

Is that a T38? And also if I remember rightly I read you were considering a Excel 360.

I'm also considering both models and wonder what swang you to the Honwave?

Yup, that's the T38 and I must say up front this is my first SIB so I have nothing to compare it with.

I was originally considering between a RibEye TS400, an ally floored SIB or an inflatable floored SIB. The RibEye was quickly ruled out because I fancied the option of trailerless boating, then reading (and watching YouTube) about how inserting floors in SIBs can add time/complexity/frustration to boat building (this had to be easy and quick - impatient wife), the decision was then what inflatable floored model.

I read a lot of reviews and searched the web for "new" deals that would entice me. I also needed a dealer near me for servicing etc. Which again narrowed down the options. I eventually settled on a local dealer who was doing the Honwave plus 20HP Honda plus launching wheels for a good price, hundreds less than any other online competitor so the deal was done.

So I couldn't say it was simply down to boat choice... Dealer, location, price, reviews, servicing, etc all got factored in...

Am I happy with the Honwave T38? Definitely!

It transports quickly and easily. At a push we could ferry 4 adults and 4 small kids on the river/harbour. Takes no more than 25 minutes from parking to motoring off from the slip. It's pretty damn good.

I have one small gripe... It's impossible to keep clean. The floor and tubes just seem to attract mud!
Old 11 April 2016, 09:06   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Richard are you considering the flat air floor Excel 360 model?
Old 11 April 2016, 14:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Yup, that's the T38 and I must say up front this is my first SIB so I have nothing to compare it with.

I was originally considering between a RibEye TS400, an ally floored SIB or an inflatable floored SIB. The RibEye was quickly ruled out because I fancied the option of trailerless boating, then reading (and watching YouTube) about how inserting floors in SIBs can add time/complexity/frustration to boat building (this had to be easy and quick - impatient wife), the decision was then what inflatable floored model.
Looks like we're coming from the exact same place.

I'd thought about the Ribeye (370 version) as it looks lovely and a proper rib would be nice. I'm limited to roof rack and boot though as in London I have no where to keep a trailer.

I think it would be possible to transport a Ribeye on the roof rack, but at 64KG I'd struggle on my own. I'd also struggle to justify storing a true RIB at our London flat, even in the back garden, it's quite a lump.

I went to the local Honda dealer today, sadly didn't have a T38, but did have a T40 and T35. Wow, they look great and plenty big enough, the T40 was colossal!

I'm really liking the idea of the Honwave over the Excel at the moment. Honwave looks a lot more modern and 'sporty'. Although the Excel does have a rugged utilitarian charm about it.

Only thing putting me off is reports of the hull flexing at speed. Not a problem on the Thames, but planning on inshore as well and might be a problem then. Then again maybe it won't be a problem at all, they seem very popular and people seem to love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Richard are you considering the flat air floor Excel 360 model?
Yes, or possibly the 390 version as it's pretty much the same but 10cm longer and wider.
Old 11 April 2016, 14:54   #10

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Quote:
Attachment 111828

Believe it or not I've not yet had my SIB in the boot of the car, does it even fit with the engine in too? Who knows?
If I'm not mistaken roof limit for many cars is about 50 kg.
This is exactly weight of the T38IE2.
You have hook. Why do not invest small trailer and tow SIB and engine ?
I think you can secure engine by some wood or any other thing (HONWAVE manual do not recommend to tow engine on transom).

I have big van but HONWAVE and BF20 took all free places (we are 5 persons family). If I keep HONWAVE definitely will use trailer next time

Or use below mentioned trailer to tow deflated SIB plus engine:
Old 11 April 2016, 15:46   #11

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>only thing putting me off is reports of the hull flexing at speed.

Not sure which model you're referring to but... I'd caution you on buying any flat air floor SIB brand new without trying it on the sea with an outboard sufficient to push it up to at least 15kts or so.

The flexy floor hierachy goes like this...

As a comparison - GRP hull RIB - rigid... perfect.

Aerotec with V air floor - To all intents rigid and no flexy floor effects on the plane.

Honwave 3.8 V air floor - Similar but more shallow V & some reports of minor flex.

Zodiac Acti-V HP keel air floor - better than a flat air floor but some flexy effects.

All other air floor models with a sausage keel - A fair degree of flexy floor effects.

Tender type SIB with slat floor - Flappy to a degree it won't plane.

When I refer to flexy air floor effects it's an odd feeling of standing on a slightly jelly like floor and under way on the plane odd things can happen like a feeling you've run over a whale as a hump is felt under your feet, the SIB can slow and the prop can ventilate losing drive. They all suffer this effect to a greater or lesser degree... the shorter the SIB the less they suffer.

It's a personal thing but you might hate a flat air floor model like the Excel 360 doing this.

Yep the Honwave alloy floor T35 & T40 models look great and are roomy... downside they're heavy and a little time consuming to assemble.
Old 11 April 2016, 16:01   #12

Thanks Fenlander, that's very useful.

If the Honwave is going to be better than the Excel in that respect then that sells it for me.

I suppose you can't expect perfect for £1000, which is peanuts in boat money. So a compromise has to be made somewhere.

It's worth putting up with this for the sake of weight. I worked out a T38 with a Suzuki 20HP motor would be 92KG. As I'm sure you already know a T40 is 80Kg+ just on it's own!
Old 11 April 2016, 22:32   #13

OK, so I definitely have had the floor on my Honwave "bulge" at speed. We're talking at 19-20+ knots the rear 1/2 of the floor would bulge up then down again to the transom. The prop did not cavitate and there was no noticeable loss in power or performance, it just looked a bit weird. This was one-up and perhaps with more people/load on board the effect would be different.

Also, and this could be a significant "also"... This was winter and I dare say the floor pressure might have dropped to 0.7, 0.6, maybe less, which I believe can have considerable effect on floor performance.

For London living/storage I don't think you'll go wrong with a Honwave.
Old 11 April 2016, 22:38   #14

@MatFromPoland Thanks for the input. I'm actually quite pleased with the bike rack set-up and want to avoid a trailer however off we end up wanting to take bikes and not I might indeed end up with a small box-trailer.

FWIW I would never put an OBM lying down in one of those trailers, they bounce all over the place and I can only imagine they would give an OBM one hell of a ride... Not somewhere I'd want to stick an expensive bit of kit.
Old 12 April 2016, 06:11   #15

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
we used a small camping box type trailer we put the outboard in the back of our van all our camping/boating gear in the trailer and the rolled up boat in its bag strapped to the lid of our trailer worked great and left room in the van
Old 12 April 2016, 08:02   #16

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatFromPoland View Post
If I'm not mistaken roof limit for many cars is about 50 kg.
This is exactly weight of the T38IE2.
You have hook. Why do not invest small trailer and tow SIB and engine ?
I think you can secure engine by some wood or any other thing (HONWAVE manual do not recommend to tow engine on transom).

I have big van but HONWAVE and BF20 took all free places (we are 5 persons family). If I keep HONWAVE definitely will use trailer next time

Or use below mentioned trailer to tow deflated SIB plus engine:
Hi
Why do you not use the supplied storage bag you are loosing lots of space.
Old 12 April 2016, 08:20   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
I think it would be possible to transport a Ribeye on the roof rack, but at 64KG I'd struggle on my own. I'd also struggle to justify storing a true RIB at our London flat, even in the back garden, it's quite a lump.
Just something to bear in mind but before buying the T38 I knew I would roof-load it at times to avoid inflate/deflate... I was of the opinion, "pah, 48kg, that'll be fine". In fact it's bloody awkward and if you don't want to trash your roof you'll definitely need a second pair of hands. Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but you'll need plenty of protection in place both for the roof and boat as it will involve a lot of sliding if you're doing it alone.

The engine too (in my case 47kg) is handy for a second pair of hands just to lift the leg in - again it can be done single handed and I probably do 50% of the time but a gentle lift is useful (my 6 year old does it for me so it's not 'heavy', just awkward).

@MatFromPoland's engine looks upright, but it surely can't be... is it?
Old 12 April 2016, 09:13   #18

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Just something to bear in mind but before buying the T38 I knew I would roof-load it at times to avoid inflate/deflate... I was of the opinion, "pah, 48kg, that'll be fine". In fact it's bloody awkward and if you don't want to trash your roof you'll definitely need a second pair of hands. Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but you'll need plenty of protection in place both for the roof and boat as it will involve a lot of sliding if you're doing it alone.
I have used the roof many times with out problem single handed, I wheel the boat up to the back flip it up on to the end, then lift up from the transom this way you are never taking all the weight, photos are from years ago on my first try I now have a frame I made to keep it off the roof!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01484 (Medium).JPG
Views:	432
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	111891   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01482 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1049
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	111892   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01483.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	111893   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01481 (Medium).JPG
Views:	776
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	111894  
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2016, 10:01   #19

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Only way I ever carry mine, inflating/deflating SIB's is a PITA - bung 'em on the roof!

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sib-on-car-roof-42774.html
Old 15 April 2016, 02:25   #20

Town: Point Blank,TX
Boat name: Just Blown
Make: Achilles 2 of them
Engine: Yam 8&15hp Nissan 15
Here is my set up. I'm 100 percent on my hitch carrier leaving my entire Suv empty. Also transporting the outboard upright is so much easier on my back too. Here is a video of my rig.