Old 14 May 2023, 20:45   #1

Town: BLACKPOOL
Make: F-RIB
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki df20as
Excessive Wake

Hi all, new memeber here looking for a bit of advice. Can anyone shed any light onto why a boat would suddenly start generating excessive wake at higher speeds?

I have had an F-rib 360 / Suzuki df20 short shaft outboard combo for about 3 years now and it has always run perfectly. Nice smooth wake behind the boat with either just myself or with a passenger. I have fixed my transducer for my fish finder direct to the transom from day dot and have always been able to read bottom at any speed. I noticed over the past couple of trips that it wasn't reading bottom past 15mph and that is when I realised that I was geeting a huge amout of white water behind the boat. This manifests predominently as two white jets that spray out either side of the outboard shaft if that makes sense. Before the boat seemed to cut through the water and now it almost seems like the back end is dragging with the amount of water that shoots out the back. Trim tabs etc. on the engine all appear fine, really odd.

My outboard is trimmed up to the second setting and this has not changed. I have infact not changed anything really since it was running correctly so I am a bit stumped. Last time on the water I tried redistributing the weight in the boat but this had no effect at all. All weight in the back and all in the front was the same outcome. Any help getting to the bottom of this is appreciated.

Cheers
Anthony
Old 14 May 2023, 21:49   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITCHIE23 View Post
Hi all, new memeber here looking for a bit of advice. Can anyone shed any light onto why a boat would suddenly start generating excessive wake at higher speeds?

I have had an F-rib 360 / Suzuki df20 short shaft outboard combo for about 3 years now and it has always run perfectly. Nice smooth wake behind the boat with either just myself or with a passenger. I have fixed my transducer for my fish finder direct to the transom from day dot and have always been able to read bottom at any speed. I noticed over the past couple of trips that it wasn't reading bottom past 15mph and that is when I realised that I was geeting a huge amout of white water behind the boat. This manifests predominently as two white jets that spray out either side of the outboard shaft if that makes sense. Before the boat seemed to cut through the water and now it almost seems like the back end is dragging with the amount of water that shoots out the back. Trim tabs etc. on the engine all appear fine, really odd.

My outboard is trimmed up to the second setting and this has not changed. I have infact not changed anything really since it was running correctly so I am a bit stumped. Last time on the water I tried redistributing the weight in the boat but this had no effect at all. All weight in the back and all in the front was the same outcome. Any help getting to the bottom of this is appreciated.

Cheers

Anthony
My guess would be something has come loose and is trailing in the water, I had the bottom of a side rubbing strake come loose & it did funny things with the water flowing over it. It's maybe a tape that has detached & is forming a pocket & filling with water causing a balloon effect. Or possibly one of the joints not fully aligning somehow. I'd check all around the underside for any loose fittings or seam tapes
Old 15 May 2023, 05:50   #3

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Is there any way water could have got inside the parts of the hull wher the folding rib joins together. Aren’t there some box sections at that point
Old 15 May 2023, 16:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
My guess would be something has come loose and is trailing in the water, I had the bottom of a side rubbing strake come loose & it did funny things with the water flowing over it. It's maybe a tape that has detached & is forming a pocket & filling with water causing a balloon effect. Or possibly one of the joints not fully aligning somehow. I'd check all around the underside for any loose fittings or seam tapes
Thanks for the reply. I have checked the underside of the boat and nothing appears out of the oridinary unfortunately.
Old 15 May 2023, 16:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Is there any way water could have got inside the parts of the hull wher the folding rib joins together. Aren’t there some box sections at that point
Will check this as I am not sure to be honest. Thanks for the suggestion.