Old 14 May 2023, 18:49   #1

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Aerotec 380

Hi all

Been a while since I've been on the forum, work commitments took over so no sibbing time unfortunately.

Am I correct that this plate means my Aerotec was made in 2016 ? It sounds about right for when I bought it.

Any recommendations on where best to advertise eBay or gumtree ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230514_183846996.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	142652  
Old 14 May 2023, 19:00   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep that's correct and I well remember the discussions around the time you bought it being the year after mine. I would think it should sell well on here. They are unique, were damn expensive in their final year and no longer available... and... to me... a bit special.

But as you mention... if no takers from the forum... Ebay and Gumtree are the usual places.
Old 14 May 2023, 19:07   #3

Thanks fenlander, good to hear from you!

I haven't sold on eBay for years, thought they were a bit more like Amazon (selling new stuff now). ?

I finally took it out of storage the other day, had to ask the recommended pressures it's been so long.

Just given it a clean and taken some pictures.

I know you love these Aerotec, I preferred my m2c. I keep considering sending it off for a complete reglue but not sure I'll ever get time to get out on the water, well not in the near future anyway !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20230514_184024300.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	142653   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230514_183836016.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	142654   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230514_183721355.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	142655  
Old 14 May 2023, 19:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Yep that's correct and I well remember the discussions around the time you bought it being the year after mine. I would think it should sell well on here. They are unique, were damn expensive in their final year and no longer available... and... to me... a bit special.

But as you mention... if no takers from the forum... Ebay and Gumtree are the usual places.
Must admit seeing it set up makes me want to give it another try 🤣
Old 15 May 2023, 05:55   #5

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
Must admit seeing it set up makes me want to give it another try 🤣
Go on give it a go on the water you will be invigorated again
Old 15 May 2023, 09:38   #6

>>I haven't sold on eBay for years, thought they were a bit more like Amazon (selling new stuff now). ?

Yep Ebay a very different place to the clubby feel of ten years plus ago. I still use it loads for buying as it's so easy to get problems resolved and refunds. As a seller the boot is on the other foot and you do have to cross your fingers a buyer is a fair person or they can misuse the buyer protection to cause grief.

>>>Must admit seeing it set up makes me want to give it another try

If I remember the Aerotec never gave to the feel you wanted... seemed "nervous" to you? I was always perplexed as for me in difficult conditions it has stood head and shoulders above any of the other ten or so SIBs we've owned. Even in really difficult conditions we've had absolute confidence in ours with that deep V hull parting the waves with comfort.

I do wonder if the 25hp while within the boat's rating and fun in the right circumstances is a bit big? Using between 8hp and 20hp on ours I found the 15hp was the sweet spot for overall feel and handling as long as you were no more than two up plus kit and dog.

Mine was bought in 2015 as an ex showroom display but made 2014. Yours at 2016 is about the last of the run before they stopped the model. If I had a 2008 or older version and it was still suiting me I'd jump at the chance of buying yours to get 8 more years glue life.
Old 15 May 2023, 10:23   #7

Hello my old friend.

By chance I inflated mine yesterday to check the mice hadn't had their way in the long period it's been packed away. All good thankfully. Checked all the gear over fitting new batteries or charging and testing safety equipment etc. Might even get Mrs F's lifejacket an up to date cylinder and actuator as it's her birthday soon.

Finally a chance to test fit the OE Bombard cover I bought from Chipko last Autumn. Great bit of kit for our hols when it's left inflated outdoors when not in use. Will keep it dry, free of bird poo and out of direct sun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aerotec deflated 2023.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	142664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerotec cover.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	142665  
Old 15 May 2023, 10:26   #8

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Miss our 380, such great fun.
Old 15 May 2023, 11:07   #9

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Miss our 380, such great fun.
Still remember your old topic: https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/introd...tec-40249.html

And Matt's: https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/my-new...sib-25084.html

To the OP, like Fen' I've had a fair few SIBs and the Aertotec is petty unique. I'd keep it, you won't find another late one that you 'know and trust' easily...
Old 15 May 2023, 11:18   #10

Thanks for the heads up on the old Nasher/Matt threads Max... just had a read through both. It was in the back of my mind as I remembered them being part of the info that eventually got me to try that old Aerotec you saw on Gumtree... and the rest is history as they say.
Old 15 May 2023, 11:46   #11

Yes, good old fun - amazing how many years all this goes back now - time flies! I've still got my (2008 IIRC?) Aerotec but not unpacked since last year (or two??). Nothing compares for hooning about and just sheer fun and a SIB that handles like a mini-RIB rather than a bathtub. And can do this: https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/waters...c-69883-2.html
Old 15 May 2023, 12:00   #12

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
The Boys had such a good time with it, and when I was allowed to play it kept reminding me how much fun a smaller boat with a Tiller steered outboard is.

It went well with the 9.9 on, then flew with the 15.

These images bring back memories, the pair of them are 24 and 22yrs now.
I can't believe it's been that long that they were taken during the summer of 2011.

It used to get transported round to Beesands from Dartmouth rolled up on the back seat of our RIB, then inflated with a Bravo pump when we got there.
They then used it all day with their friends running about and exploring the smaller coves etc round towards Start Point.
And often did a Pasty run to Torcross lunchtime.
They always had a Handheld with them if they needed us, but never did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0020.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	142666   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0038.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	142667   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0048.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	142668  
Old 15 May 2023, 13:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>

I do wonder if the 25hp while within the boat's rating and fun in the right circumstances is a bit big? Using between 8hp and 20hp on ours I found the 15hp was the sweet spot for overall feel and handling as long as you were no more than two up plus kit and dog.

Mine was bought in 2015 as an ex showroom display but made 2014. Yours at 2016 is about the last of the run before they stopped the model. If I had a 2008 or older version and it was still suiting me I'd jump at the chance of buying yours to get 8 more years glue life.

I have considered buying a smaller outboard for it but I actually want faster not slower. I feel like I should have bought a futura instead, I learnt after purchasing that the deep v makes it slower due to drag, I expected it to be faster than my beloved m2c. The m2c gave up due to glue giving way and the baffles were blown. You can't buy either the m2c or futura now and I don't really want an old boat where the glue is an issue (expect I'd be better to reglue my old one). If I could get more speed from a 15hp then I'd buy one, if I can't there isn't much point.

I'm very curious what mine will make on eBay, if I lost it will be cash only on collection. Not sure if you can even do that now........
Old 15 May 2023, 13:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Still remember your old topic: https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/introd...tec-40249.html

And Matt's: https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/my-new...sib-25084.html

To the OP, like Fen' I've had a fair few SIBs and the Aertotec is petty unique. I'd keep it, you won't find another late one that you 'know and trust' easily...

I am really tempted, I miss getting out on the water and feel the same in that I know it's a good safe boat.

But I want to jump waves, speed around, which the m2c did so well. Maybe I should try again, will a 15hp improve things do you think ?
Old 15 May 2023, 13:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Yes, good old fun - amazing how many years all this goes back now - time flies! I've still got my (2008 IIRC?) Aerotec but not unpacked since last year (or two??). Nothing compares for hooning about and just sheer fun and a SIB that handles like a mini-RIB rather than a bathtub. And can do this: https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/waters...c-69883-2.html

I'll read the threads again. I'm sure I once read that a 18hp outboard was the absolute ideal for an Aerotec, does this sound right to you?
Old 15 May 2023, 13:22   #16

On Ebay now you can list cash on collection as an option but not make it compulsory. You have to offer at least one other electronic means of payment. This can be Paypal or through Ebay's own system (did you know they split from Paypal?). To avoid a buyer claiming they never collected it Ebay issue them a numeric and QR code. You need to use one or the other input to your Ebay to prove they have called and collected.

Re value I'd struggle to know what others would think. Just pre Covid there were a couple of 2014-2016 ones sold for around £1500 which was about the maximum I'd seen a used one go for and I thought good value. The only judgement I could think of now is I'd rather your 7yr old hardly used Aerotec than a new Honwave/Elling etc... so I'd be thinking just a bit under their new price... say £1200 or so. But many would rather the new ones with their warranty so I reckon you'd struggle much over that figure. I haven't a clue where you'd see the price but hope that doesn't seem too hard.
Old 15 May 2023, 13:26   #17

I have only had an 18, wanted to try a 25 but never got round to it. Those who had the 25 I remember in a nutshell - "...big lump to cart about, a few mph on the top end, perhaps too much of a handful...".

As from the waterskiing with an Aerotec topic it's a hugely capable boat even with a 15 and some of the (relatively) big seas (for a 3.5m rubber boat) have been epic fun, like Nasher a particular run back from Start Point to Dartmouth when the weather changed (badly, quickly...) I will never forget. Incredibly capable SIBs.

Just a crying shame no-one had taken the design, refined it (ie transom splashing/couple of inches on the beam) and used the hugely improved drop-stitch now available thanks to SUP tech.

My whole Aerotec story was here: https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombar...ass-62326.html
Old 15 May 2023, 13:38   #18

The reason for folks mentioning 18hp being ideal was going back a decade before the new lighter efi 4-strokes came out the Tohatsu 18hp 2-stroke at 41kg was far lighter than the older 20hp motors some of which were over 50kg. So that 18hp motor became something of a holy grail.

This advantage was largely negated when the new 44kg 20hp 4-strokes came out so the older design Tohatsu 18 lost some of its appeal.

I made a comment earlier that I thought, as long as you were no more than two up, a 15hp 2-stroke at 36kg was the sweet spot for the Aerotec. I had a good comparison in that I started with a Mercury 15hp 2-stroke, went to a Suzuki 20hp 4-stroke and then back to a 15hp Yamaha 2-stroke. While the extra grunt and other benefits of the 20hp was nice in some circumstances the feel on the tiller and handling wasn't as nice as either of the 15hp 2-strokes. Also we so often found the few kts extra speed of the 20 couldn't be used due to sea state.

Of course, and you might not be up to date on this Sean, I'm out of the middle/larger outboard loop now as my 67yrs old creaky neck and back means my 26kg Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke is my safe limit. Given I want to be able to lift the outboard everywhere I launch from or arrive at without a trolley this Tohatsu is all that keeps me sibbing on the plane. Hopefully keeping sensible re weight now will keep me sea sibbing for a few more years then it will be a Torqedo and the river.
Old 15 May 2023, 14:05   #19

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
I had a 15hp Yam 2s on mine and then a 25hp Yam 2s, The 25 was far better, I thought the 15 was pretty lethargic 🤷
Old 15 May 2023, 14:30   #20

>>I thought the 15 was pretty lethargic

Well for us a quick enough pickup and given a typical sea state a top speed that exceeded acceptable comfort levels for a pair of leisure users with dog on the average day out.

You really wouldn't like ours with the 9.8 Tohatsu... only 15kts.