Old 15 May 2023, 14:35   #21

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
On Ebay now you can list cash on collection as an option but not make it compulsory. You have to offer at least one other electronic means of payment. This can be Paypal or through Ebay's own system (did you know they split from Paypal?). To avoid a buyer claiming they never collected it Ebay issue them a numeric and QR code. You need to use one or the other input to your Ebay to prove they have called and collected.

Re value I'd struggle to know what others would think. Just pre Covid there were a couple of 2014-2016 ones sold for around £1500 which was about the maximum I'd seen a used one go for and I thought good value. The only judgement I could think of now is I'd rather your 7yr old hardly used Aerotec than a new Honwave/Elling etc... so I'd be thinking just a bit under their new price... say £1200 or so. But many would rather the new ones with their warranty so I reckon you'd struggle much over that figure. I haven't a clue where you'd see the price but hope that doesn't seem too hard.

At £1200 I would probably just keep it, maybe I will be trying it again after all

I actually thought I'd get at least £1500, I did think I might even get closer to £2k. Maybe I'm a bit too hopeful.......

I found the same when I thought about selling it a couple of years ago (mine was valued the same as a 20 year old one), hence I ended up just keeping it. I'll have a quick read regarding the process on ebay, I quite liked the thought of letting the market decide but had heard ebay policy to sellers is pretty tough. Hence I was asking if anyone had tried gumtree.
Old 15 May 2023, 14:45   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I still think Ebay has a greater exposure than Gumtree or Facebook marketplace however you have to consider the Ebay seller percentage is about 12% now. But check that out in case it's different for boats. If you have confidence it may make more put up for auction at £1500 start. You never know.
Old 15 May 2023, 14:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
The reason for folks mentioning 18hp being ideal was going back a decade before the new lighter efi 4-strokes came out the Tohatsu 18hp 2-stroke at 41kg was far lighter than the older 20hp motors some of which were over 50kg. So that 18hp motor became something of a holy grail.

This advantage was largely negated when the new 44kg 20hp 4-strokes came out so the older design Tohatsu 18 lost some of its appeal.

I made a comment earlier that I thought, as long as you were no more than two up, a 15hp 2-stroke at 36kg was the sweet spot for the Aerotec. I had a good comparison in that I started with a Mercury 15hp 2-stroke, went to a Suzuki 20hp 4-stroke and then back to a 15hp Yamaha 2-stroke. While the extra grunt and other benefits of the 20hp was nice in some circumstances the feel on the tiller and handling wasn't as nice as either of the 15hp 2-strokes. Also we so often found the few kts extra speed of the 20 couldn't be used due to sea state.

Of course, and you might not be up to date on this Sean, I'm out of the middle/larger outboard loop now as my 67yrs old creaky neck and back means my 26kg Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke is my safe limit. Given I want to be able to lift the outboard everywhere I launch from or arrive at without a trolley this Tohatsu is all that keeps me sibbing on the plane. Hopefully keeping sensible re weight now will keep me sea sibbing for a few more years then it will be a Torqedo and the river.
My outboard is a really old 25hp 2 stroke, I can lift and handle it on. It was perfect for the m2c but I read something smaller might be better for the Aerotec. It has even crossed my mind should I be looking at a proper rib, I moved house a year or so ago and now have somewhere to keep a rib on a tailer, though would still prefer a fold up as I won't be using it often and makes more sense than having a rib on a trailer taking up space.
Old 15 May 2023, 14:52   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
I had a 15hp Yam 2s on mine and then a 25hp Yam 2s, The 25 was far better, I thought the 15 was pretty lethargic 🤷

We spoke some time ago as you wanted to try the 25. What age is your outboard and how much do you raise it by ?

Last time I took the Aerotec out I forgot the piece of wood I used to raise it. It was so splashy, slow and ran out of fuel (after not much use) I assume it was the position of the outboard.
Old 15 May 2023, 15:55   #25

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
If you sell anything like this on eBay (car/boat) only ever do it as an eBay classified ad - basically £25 or so flat fee and you negotiate with the buyers directly - no other fees or eBay involvement and you get the buyer to collect and transfer the money then and there. I've sold plenty of cars this way, just treat it as an ad the same as you would on Autotrader etc.

If listing other smaller items it's much better now than the previous years - I've got 100k transactions on eBay over 23 years and IME it's fine 99.9% of the time. Yes, as a business seller you can get shafted occasionally but that's the same in any business or platform.

But as a private seller wait for the offer email very two weeks (alternate weekends) as eBay run an offer with 70% off fees. Next one will be this Friday. With this and eBay now handling payments (rather than PayPal) it is much cheaper - approx 3.5% total fees including payment fees and eBay fees on the offer weekends.

But try FBMP and Gumtree too - however, I've sold dozens of vehicles via eBay and for me it's worked brilliantly.

[edit] for smaller stuff, I would not use auctions - I always do BIN with best offer available.

Some say just start everything at 99p (more the old days when listing fees applied) and the 'market' will find the right price. Maybe...but in my experience sometimes the 'market' gets bloody lucky and you lose out big time!
Old 15 May 2023, 16:18   #26

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>for smaller stuff, I would not use auctions - I always do BIN with best offer available. Some say just start everything at 99p (more the old days when listing fees applied) and the 'market' will find the right price. Maybe...but in my experience sometimes the 'market' gets bloody lucky and you lose out big time!

Yes spot on. I have bought so well when on the day of an auction finish there is no opposition. A couple of times I've even felt guilty enough about the price to say sorry about that to the seller.

Hence I never expose myself to that disaster and always research the sold prices of an item then with that in mind look at others with my item for sale and try to pitch a Buy-it-Now just under their prices.

I couldn't remember if boats were allowed as a classified ad but as they are yes that's the best way.
Old 15 May 2023, 16:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
If you sell anything like this on eBay (car/boat) only ever do it as an eBay classified ad - basically £25 or so flat fee and you negotiate with the buyers directly - no other fees or eBay involvement and you get the buyer to collect and transfer the money then and there. I've sold plenty of cars this way, just treat it as an ad the same as you would on Autotrader etc.

If listing other smaller items it's much better now than the previous years - I've got 100k transactions on eBay over 23 years and IME it's fine 99.9% of the time. Yes, as a business seller you can get shafted occasionally but that's the same in any business or platform.

But as a private seller wait for the offer email very two weeks (alternate weekends) as eBay run an offer with 70% off fees. Next one will be this Friday. With this and eBay now handling payments (rather than PayPal) it is much cheaper - approx 3.5% total fees including payment fees and eBay fees on the offer weekends.

But try FBMP and Gumtree too - however, I've sold dozens of vehicles via eBay and for me it's worked brilliantly.

[edit] for smaller stuff, I would not use auctions - I always do BIN with best offer available.

Some say just start everything at 99p (more the old days when listing fees applied) and the 'market' will find the right price. Maybe...but in my experience sometimes the 'market' gets bloody lucky and you lose out big time!
Thanks Max, its ages since I did anything on ebay, you've saved me some searches.

As I said before there would come a price that I would rather keep it. I have a son that is just coming up to the age he might enjoy it. I will give it a try listing as a private advert on ebay, if someone is willing to pay what I want great, if not I'll keep it.

Maybe I'll see if I can give my outboard a run up ready to give it a try.
Old 15 May 2023, 20:48   #28

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
We spoke some time ago as you wanted to try the 25. What age is your outboard and how much do you raise it by ?

Last time I took the Aerotec out I forgot the piece of wood I used to raise it. It was so splashy, slow and ran out of fuel (after not much use) I assume it was the position of the outboard.
I have a 2 stroke yamaha 25hp on my aerotec and it's does feel a bit over powered one up, hanging on to the tiller over decent waves at speed is an experience, kill cord and life jacket are definitely a requirement. (they always are but I do get the feeling I'm going to use them both if I try full throttle, I haven't had the bollox to do it......yet)