Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Boat
Make: Valiant V-450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Etec 40
Dry suit recommendations

As per title,

Do i require a dry suit?

Just wondering is a dry suit recommended? I currently have a wet suit summer one only, and my use of the sib will not be seeing me going out in sub zero temps.

I know i'm a wimp. lol.

Would appreciate a nudge in the right direction as i'm guessing its not a diving dry suit that's required, or is my current wet suit with some basic wet weather clothing enough?

Thanks , Scott
Old 14 February 2020, 09:33   #2

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Dry suit recommendations

The black shadow was always popular on here a while back, think it was made by gul? The most important thing is that you try it on before you buy as they all come up slightly different sizes.
Old 14 February 2020, 09:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
The black shadow was always popular on here a while back, think it was made by gul? The most important thing is that you try it on before you buy as they all come up slightly different sizes.

Thanks Whisper will look it up.
Old 14 February 2020, 09:52   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i use a surface dry suit by seaskin not the cheapest but you get what you pay for, i wear one all the time even in summer in our waters
Old 14 February 2020, 09:58   #5

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
It would have to be tropical for me to not wear one in our waters but each to their own.

Also really handy when launching and recovering as it keeps you dry!

However it would probably be a life saver if you ended up in the water for any length of time.

My advice on purchasing for what its worth would be buy a decent one and get one with a front zip.

Gary
Old 14 February 2020, 11:08   #6

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/dry-sui...ing-82786.html
Old 14 February 2020, 11:24   #7

Thanks for the link , having a good read now. and looking at all suggestions. Cheers
Old 14 February 2020, 15:32   #8

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
If you think you're going overboard, then a dry suit is a Good Thing. I have a Gul membrane drysuit with latex wrist seals and bootees. More comfy than a neoprene drysuit, and you can choose how much to wear under it.

If you don't think you're likely to end up in the water, then a 2 piece "oilskin" suit over warm clothes may be more versatile.
Old 14 February 2020, 17:51   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scomich View Post
As per title,

Do i require a dry suit?

Just wondering is a dry suit recommended? I currently have a wet suit summer one only, and my use of the sib will not be seeing me going out in sub zero temps.

I know i'm a wimp. lol.

Would appreciate a nudge in the right direction as i'm guessing its not a diving dry suit that's required, or is my current wet suit with some basic wet weather clothing enough?

Thanks , Scott

If you need to ask the question........
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 18:21   #10

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Wet suits keep you fairly warm in the water, especially if you're doing something active. They're not so good against windchill.

The RNLI crews go out in horrendous conditions in SIBs and RIBs and wear membrane dry suits.

However, fishermen and others who work on water tend to wear waterproofs over clothing.

If you need to enter the water to launch and recover, then a drysuit is particularly useful.

You can get a Fladen flotation suit or similar more cheaply than a dry suit. Many dinghy cruisers use them.

If you get a dry suit, do pay the extra for a gentleman's convenience zip.
Old 15 February 2020, 08:49   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Wet suits keep you fairly warm in the water, especially if you're doing something active. They're not so good against windchill.

The RNLI crews go out in horrendous conditions in SIBs and RIBs and wear membrane dry suits.

However, fishermen and others who work on water tend to wear waterproofs over clothing.

If you need to enter the water to launch and recover, then a drysuit is particularly useful.

You can get a Fladen flotation suit or similar more cheaply than a dry suit. Many dinghy cruisers use them.

agree but a front entry zip you can dress yourself no need for a pee zip also get to trouser pockets easy
Old 15 February 2020, 09:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post

Quite like the idea of the flotation suit, as I say I am not planning on going out in adverse or really cold conditions, granted our waters are always cold. and they're is the always expect the unexpected, i.e ending up in the water.

So again due to my planned use, is it dry suit or flotation?

How many Sibbers have ended up in the water unexpectedly? If they're use was similar to mine.
Old 15 February 2020, 10:09   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Quite like the idea of the flotation suit, as I say I am not planning on going out in adverse or really cold conditions, granted our waters are always cold. and they're is the always expect the unexpected, i.e ending up in the water.

So again due to my planned use, is it dry suit or flotation?

How many Sibbers have ended up in the water unexpectedly? If they're use was similar to mine.
very easy to stumble over rocks, seaweed, holes on the seabed when launching at least with a dry suit its no problem same if a wave catches you unaware and flips your boat you will soon be in trouble with the cold never mind trying to pull all that extra water weight absorbed by your clothes aboard the boat getting back in.IMO
Old 15 February 2020, 10:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
very easy to stumble over rocks, seaweed, holes on the seabed when launching at least with a dry suit its no problem same if a wave catches you unaware and flips your boat you will soon be in trouble with the cold never mind trying to pull all that extra water weight absorbed by your clothes aboard the boat getting back in.IMO

Yeah point taken. And thinking back i did have an occasion when i slipped on the slipway and ended up in the water.

Very amusing for my son and all bystanders. Albeit that was at the end of our jaunt. lol.
Old 15 February 2020, 10:28   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Yeah point taken. And thinking back i did have an occasion when i slipped on the slipway and ended up in the water.

Very amusing for my son and all bystanders. Albeit that was at the end of our jaunt. lol.

I’ve just sold a top of the range Mullion flotation suit, because I now use a drysuit........
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 10:28   #16

RIBase
Quote:

i'll be honest ive been boating 51 years now and lost count how many times ive fell/ tripped, well into my sixties and still doing it but having said that wearing a drysuit i probably dont take as much care knowing i'm going to be dry. i also think if its there you can use it when its not is when the poop hits the fan. look at cost too the cheapest dry suit is about £250 a flotation suit about £150.

a tip if you go drysuit by far the best is to have one made to measure allowing for extra clothes it will be far more comfy wearing it for long periods
Old 15 February 2020, 10:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I’ve just sold a top of the range Mullion flotation suit, because I now use a drysuit........

And whats was your opinion on the flotation suit Pikey ?

Or with you buying a dry suit say it all?
Old 15 February 2020, 11:56   #18

Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
I Jeff it all that fresh water you drink that causes you to fall all the time [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 15 February 2020, 12:23   #19

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
+1 for front entry zips,mine's back entry and Sod's law states that when you've forgotten something in the car after launching you have to trudge back only to the discover the keys are in your trouser pocket,then trudge back to get somebody "let you out".but maybe it's just an age thing
Old 15 February 2020, 15:39   #20

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
what size are you I have a fladden flotation suit I bought when I had a dabble with a warrior fishing boat I only wore it a couple of times and still looks new ( sold the warrior after a month and bought another rib didn't like it at all) . its just hanging in the garage and I wont use it again its big fat bastard size though