Old 17 September 2021, 12:51   #1

Continuous Inflating Deflating

High all I am now the owner for better or worse of a Boatworld 330SL 3.3m.
Now Due to having a very small storage space no room for a trailer and wish to transport in back of a a Honda CRV. This would entail inflate at launch deflate to transport inflate to rinse off deflate to store. 4 times a trip. I wondered if inflating the boat regular and folding will in any way compromise the integrity of the boat. If it would I will have to think of some other form of transport. Or is it necessary to rinse off after every trip This would cut it down by half.
Appreciate any help on the subject
Colin
Ps I did a search and didn't get the answer as James 2021 had different issues
Old 17 September 2021, 13:11   #2

Length: 3m +
I think it depends on personal preference. Wrapping and unwrapping won't do it any harm so long as you're packing it correctly. Hosing off is generally good because you don't really want water sitting in it rolled up but if you're using it frequently it's probably not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things.

It's about fitting the boat into your life, your time and your space. If shortening its lifespan means you use it more etc then that's a personal trade off.
Old 17 September 2021, 13:23   #3

Thank you for a quick response I will Put some thought into it
Colin
Old 17 September 2021, 14:06   #4

I'll clean after each trip because I don't know when the next will be and the boat is inevitably salty. It also means it gets packed away slowly and properly after the car journey.
Old 17 September 2021, 14:35   #5
A1o

Length: no boat
I do exactly the same as you, a little weird maybe but I find the rinsing off and packing away clean and dry relatively therapeutic..

Sometimes il leave it till the next day dependent on tides and time I get home..

Never really thought about impact of inflation/deflation
Old 17 September 2021, 15:04   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I wash off every trip but mine is on a trailer, as an aside at work we had small inflatables for bridge inspections built and packed away twice a day for years not even washed with no problems
Old 17 September 2021, 16:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I wash off every trip but mine is on a trailer, as an aside at work we had small inflatables for bridge inspections built and packed away twice a day for years not even washed with no problems
My gut feeling with PVC boats is that the glue is likely to start going before leaving it dirty does long term damage and that packing it properly and storing are the most important things. That said, I've always thought that leaving one in storage all nice and salty would be an extra attraction for rodents.

My 40 year old Avon is arguably still in great shape because it's been stored well. When it was the emergency boat tender it would have been packed away in the gold with unwashed and probably still a bit wet.
Old 17 September 2021, 16:51   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
To the OP... JP... it's a non-issue. All my SIBs have lived this type of "in the bag" life during my ownership... and before for those I bought used.

If you don't wash down after salt water use metal fittings even if stainless will often suffer corrosion and I like the wash down as it's a chance to inspect for grazes or any other issue so it's ready for the next trip.
Old 17 September 2021, 17:27   #9

Thanks all for the input Perhaps I will clean Ive ordered a 12v Pump the hiks Hope its ok I find the foot pump hard work for an old age pensioner (LOL)
Cheers for all your inputs they are Most welcome
Colin
Old 17 September 2021, 17:44   #10

Make: AB
Engine: outboard, 40hp
Can you bring some water with you to wash down when you are done? Then no need to inflate and deflate at home. I'm thinking 5-10 gallons would work but that's a bit of room in the car. Do a quick brush down and pour the water over it, will make a quick cleaning.

If you want to get creative, maybe one of those hand pump sprayers. Probably don't need as much water with one of those.
Old 17 September 2021, 18:09   #11

@ babbot1
Sound Idea that I have large h
Hozelock Garden Sprayer and no garden to speak Of False turf and a few Potted roses and what Have you (Wife's Department)So thanks for that suggestion
Colin
Old 17 September 2021, 18:33   #12

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Explorer 4
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 & 6
MMSI: 235913442
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePrevails View Post
@ babbot1
Sound Idea that I have large h
Hozelock Garden Sprayer and no garden to speak Of False turf and a few Potted roses and what Have you (Wife's Department)So thanks for that suggestion
Colin
I always wash off after use in saltwater and have a 12ltr garden sprayer which I use when I know I will have limited access to the hose! So far so good,!🤞🏼
Old 17 September 2021, 18:58   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
I bought a worx battery power washer from screwfix/toolstation. Works out of bucket or even from coke bottles. Not used it for the boat purpose yet...but great for the bikes when out and about.
Not the most powerful compared to a mains or petrol pressure washer but does the job!
Old 17 September 2021, 21:39   #14

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
My gut feeling with PVC boats is that the glue is likely to start going before leaving it dirty does long term damage and that packing it properly and storing are the most important things. That said, I've always thought that leaving one in storage all nice and salty would be an extra attraction for rodents.

My 40 year old Avon is arguably still in great shape because it's been stored well. When it was the emergency boat tender it would have been packed away in the gold with unwashed and probably still a bit wet.
My own boat is different to a work one but all I’m saying they are more robust that we give credit for so a looked after boat will survive year of work.
Old 17 September 2021, 22:37   #15

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi JP, I suppose it depends on how often your using your SIB and where you're using it. If your using it frequently, every other week or so, I'd dry it off and brush it down before packing it away and would probably give it a good wash down every 3rd/4th trip. If your using it only in fresh water, I'd dry it off, pack it away and would only give it a good wash down at the end of the season.
On the other hand, if I was using it infrequently, in salt water, I'd be doing exactly as your doing now and wash it down at home after every trip and make sure its dry before packing away.
Old 18 September 2021, 08:09   #16

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi JP, I suppose it depends on how often your using your SIB and where you're using it. If your using it frequently, every other week or so, I'd dry it off and brush it down before packing it away and would probably give it a good wash down every 3rd/4th trip. If your using it only in fresh water, I'd dry it off, pack it away and would only give it a good wash down at the end of the season.
On the other hand, if I was using it infrequently, in salt water, I'd be doing exactly as your doing now and wash it down at home after every trip and make sure its dry before packing away.

Agree totally Steve ..its what I do..I can understand casual users washing down every trip..but if you use it a lot.. IMO its not required. They also dont dry well in winter use ..so a wipe with a towel is enough for me. My wee F Rib is 5 years old now and not a bit of rust to be seen..but there is not much stainless metal on it anyhoo Its used two or three times a week so I would be wasting my life away washing it every trip
Old 18 September 2021, 09:15   #17

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Agree totally Steve

Likewise. Our daily leisure use is so different to The Gurnard's that many ways we operate are different including the cleaning/pack regime. When on our two week summer holidays we do go full Gurnard re this though and never wash down on for that whole period.. just when we get home
Old 18 September 2021, 12:38   #18
RIBnet Supporter

My SIB gets washed in fresh water once a year - before storage in winter. The rest of the time it is rolled up wet and dirty and stored until next use. It seems fine, if a bit gamey at times.

As for getting all puffed up and then deflated on a regular basis, I shouldn't worry about it - there's some folks like that on here and they seem to thrive on it.

Old 18 September 2021, 12:56   #19

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
As for getting all puffed up and then deflated on a regular basis, I shouldn't worry about it - there's some folks like that on here and they seem to thrive on it.