Old 15 August 2014, 00:13   #21

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg View Post
My bro has a 4.7 zodiac grand raid with a 50hp yam 2 stroke and we carry it up and down a really steep shingle bank from the trailer to the sea and back everytime we take it out!! We have to take the fuel tank out and It's not easy but the two of us can do it!! It was a tad embarrassing for the guy next to us struggling with his 3m and 5hp and two mates
Got a picture of two people carrying the boat and motor down the beach together?

My 4.2m weighs around 400lbs with everything else removed other than the outboard. I weigh 165lbs and can carry a little more than my own weight for a short distance, as I do often when scuba diving doubles with a scooter, but not when it is awkward. There is no way we could even lift my boat off the ground with two people as the balance points would not work out. 200lbs+ per person is pretty manly. Even with the rear wheels it was a lot of work for two of us to roll it across a soft sandy beach. Once I built the front wheels it made it so much easier since half our energy wasn't going into lifting anymore, just pushing/pulling.
Old 15 August 2014, 05:45   #22

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Got a picture of two people carrying the boat and motor down the beach together?
I'd like to see that picture too. That's a lot of boat for two guys.

I used to have a Zodiac MK IIC GT (3.8m) and a Yammie 25hp, and that was just about manageable, but ideally you'd want a third person to lift the bow.
Old 15 August 2014, 06:54   #23

Town: Folkestone
Length: 5m +
Ill get someone to take one next time!! I don't know how lbs convert to kg's I'd say somewhere around the f£@in heavy mark and I'm not saying it's easy! But it's done! Sometimes we use an old wakeboard Under the transom on the way up and just heave it over the shingle depends how tired you are after a couple I hours at the tiller!!
Old 15 August 2014, 09:16   #24

I would guess an MK3 with a 50hp is around 220kg running the conversions through google. So each person is lifting 110kg. Very manly indeed. Four of my friends would struggle hauling that over our beaches.

We roll my boat over this beach, which is even a work out as the sand can be soft. Beach is probably around 300 meters across, with a steeper slope at both ends.

Old 15 August 2014, 09:25   #25

That's a tad further than we have to haul It that's for Shure! It's all in the legs
Old 15 August 2014, 09:37   #26

Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Got a picture of two people carrying the boat and motor down the beach together with no shirts?
Sorry mate, had to do it... Specially after the manly part.

But yeah, that's pretty impressive.

Me and a mate have carried my boat across the beach wearing scuba suits + weights with the rest of equipment inside my Suzumar 320 with a Yamaha F2.5. The boat should have been weighting about 70-80 kg in total and we could only carry it like this on the way down. Even though we did it running, it was quite a hard task and we are both 24 and fit. The main problem is the lift points.
Old 15 August 2014, 11:54   #27

Town: Northern Alabama, USA
Boat name: Fire Fly
Make: Dong Seo
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
It didn't take but 12 posts to lose all credibility unless of course we see some pics.
Old 15 August 2014, 12:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg View Post
Ill get someone to take one next time!! I
No worries
Old 15 August 2014, 18:12   #29

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Ok, so is there such a thing as a stowable launch trolley? Something that mounts on the top of the boat after use. I can see it being easier to launch if the wheels are nearer the centre of gravity.
Old 15 August 2014, 18:40   #30

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Not sure Simon if this is your first boat. With all your intended guests, have you done any training?. I have found the smaller and easier to live with, the more I use the boat. Too big, too much hassle the more you, friends and family will loose interest.
Old 15 August 2014, 23:06   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
Not sure Simon if this is your first boat. With all your intended guests, have you done any training?. I have found the smaller and easier to live with, the more I use the boat. Too big, too much hassle the more you, friends and family will loose interest.
.. It will be far and away the smallest boat I've owned! I spent many years living afloat on large barges, got a lot of tidal/coastal experience on them too, Thames Estuary, Medway, Trent and Ouse.

But all things considered, a smaller boat may be the way forward.
Old 15 August 2014, 23:24   #32

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
For me the most important thing is getting out on the water and the easier you make it the more you do it. I have had yachts stuck in marinas I rarely used, now i have a sea kayak on the roof of my car I use every week and I am more happy.
Old 16 August 2014, 11:53   #33

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Lots of folding launching trolleys around, we use one if we take more than 1 sib away with us. I find a trolley easier to use with out Futra because its more balanced.

Heres the one we use (with a home made extension on the bigger boats)

Boat Dinghy Launching Trolleys, Carts, Wheels.
Old 17 August 2014, 09:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Lots of folding launching trolleys around, we use one if we take more than 1 sib away with us. I find a trolley easier to use with out Futra because its more balanced.

Heres the one we use (with a home made extension on the bigger boats)

Boat Dinghy Launching Trolleys, Carts, Wheels.
Thanks for the link, those trolleys look ideal.
Old 17 August 2014, 15:18   #35

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
Thanks for the link, those trolleys look ideal.
No chance of those being adequate for a 4.7m SIB on a rocky or sandy surface. You would need either inflatable rollers like The Gurnard posted, or a trolley with balloon tires (ideally 6 tires of ~50cm diameter) similar to what Peter_C had posted and at least 2 fit people who don't mind exerting themselves.

Six people with camping gear in a 4.7m SIB would be borderline. It would require minimalist gear and food along the lines of what you might carry if you were alpine backpacking.

Also, with 6 people a 30 hp outboard would be miserably inadequate.
Old 17 August 2014, 15:58   #36

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
No chance of those being adequate for a 4.7m SIB on a rocky or sandy surface.
There are in fact two sizes of launching trolleys available with the larger one able to take boats up to 4.9m and 200kg payload. Not cheap but work well if modified with bunks.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400272542098
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150482856520
Old 17 August 2014, 19:17   #37

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
There are in fact two sizes of launching trolleys available with the larger one able to take boats up to 4.9m and 200kg payload. Not cheap but work well if modified with bunks.
LARGE Folding Launching Trolley Dinghy inflatable Boat Launch Max 16' Boat 200Kg | eBay
NEW Folding Launching Trolley Dinghy inflatable Boat Rib Pack Away Galvanised | eBay
It would probably be OK on a paved ramp if the SIB motor combo stays under the 200kg weight rating (which is very unlikely with a 4.7m SIB and 40-50hp motor). On an unpaved surface, two small narrow tires would dig in sand and wedge between rocks with that kind of weight.
Old 17 August 2014, 19:21   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
LARGE Folding Launching Trolley Dinghy inflatable Boat Launch Max 16' Boat 200Kg | eBay
NEW Folding Launching Trolley Dinghy inflatable Boat Rib Pack Away Galvanised | eBay
Those tyres would sink right into soft sand and gravel/shingle. Only good for hardpack and asphalt.

I had too many threads open and am slow...what Prairie Tuber says.
Old 17 August 2014, 19:28   #39

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
Forgive me if I have misread this but getting the boat ready at home and popping it on a trailer for the short trip would take care of transport and by using a slipway, no injuries and fold away when you get home. That would still allow you to store the boat but make life so much easier at the launch site. The trailer could depending on your house layout go round into the garden when not in use.

Just a thought

Phil
Old 18 August 2014, 13:05   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
We have a big vehicle and are lucky enough to live 200 yards from the estuary. Car carries kit, people walk. Like I said, not keen on leaving it moored. Boats get stolen/borrowed, vandalised a lot here unless you moor them right out on the mud, then you need another dinghy to get to your dinghy. We have a 10ft rowing dinghy that I keep on the estuary. I keep that looking as shitty as possible to put off would be thieves but it still gets 'borrowed' from time to time, then I have to spend the morning driving around all the usual slipways down the Torridge trying to find it. I have no driveway, but I do have a nice workshop where I can store things and work on them in the dry. So a SIB suits me fine. The only other craft that would foot the bill is a 14ft Porta-Bote and I am tempted by that TBH, if I can find one.

Simon
..So I checked on our rowing dinghy yesterday, and surprise surprise it had vanished... A quick drive around and I found it tied up a quarter of a mile downstream on the mud. Yet again someone has basically decided to 'borrow' it. Now I have to pull a favour and waste an evening retrieving it by boat from the mudflats. Can you imagine watching a car parked in your street for a few months and then deciding to 'borrow' it because you haven't seen it move? Some people have a weird mindset is all I can say.