Old 18 August 2014, 18:03   #41

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Buying a larger SIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Those tyres would sink right into soft sand and gravel/shingle. Only good for hardpack and asphalt.

Well perhaps for a really heavy combo.
However, this is the smaller modified trolley plus dolly, with a 3.5 alumin. floor sib, 20hp 4stroke, fuel, anchor, kit etc. weighing in at over 150kg payload. I can pull this single handed from water approx. 300 metres up beach, through sand dunes, ( both soft/dry sand and hilly) across uneven grass to where stored on trailer.
With 2 of us it's a walk in the park, so dependant on terrain a heavier rig is not necessarily out of the question.
Very easy to make sweeping statements on here.😎

PS: Sand in piccies only hard packed due to recent very high tides.
Old 18 August 2014, 18:57   #42

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Well perhaps for a really heavy combo.
Which IS what the OP is discussing moving over a beach

One time we did try to roll my boat trailer/boat across the beach. The 12" tires sank right into the sand. My experience with a somewhat heavy boat has shown me what does and doesn't work.

Quote:
However, this is the smaller modified trolley plus dolly, with a 3.5 alumin. floor sib, 20hp 4stroke, fuel, anchor, kit etc. weighing in at over 150kg payload. I can pull this single handed from water approx. 300 metres up beach, through sand dunes, ( both soft/dry sand and hilly) across uneven grass to where stored on trailer.
With 2 of us it's a walk in the park, so dependent on terrain a heavier rig is not necessarily out of the question.
Awesome that you can move your little boat around by yourself. Something that small I would just put transom wheels on it and pull it around by hand Nice boat and motor combo

Quote:
Very easy to make sweeping statements on here.😎
Agreed, and that is why we are still waiting for the pictures (Video would be better) of two shirtless guys carrying a 220kg boat ALL the way across a soft beach
Old 18 August 2014, 20:15   #43

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Buying a larger SIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Awesome that you can move your little boat around by yourself. Something that small I would just put transom wheels on it and pull it around by hand Nice boat and motor combo :

Thanks for the combined put down and compliment, far too clever for me. Perhaps I should just let the big boys play, but thanks for the compliment bit anyway, I think!😏
I can assure you this 'little' rig is far too heavy to pull around on transom wheels, which I also have, across the terrain mentioned.
Old 18 August 2014, 21:04   #44

Quote:
Thanks for the combined put down and compliment, far too clever for me. Perhaps I should just let the big boys play, but thanks for the compliment bit anyway, I think!��
I can assure you this 'little' rig is far too heavy to pull around on transom wheels, which I also have, across the terrain mentioned.
Take it how you want, although I was only trying to say a dolly is not needed. Less is easier to haul. The dolly does weight a fair amount I am sure, and requires breakdown and setup. Plus I like to land on remote beaches and haul the boat up above surf line so transom wheels are where it is at. I can launch by myself, but can not recover without help, so yes it is awesome that you can do it by yourself. Since we can pull my 'little' 4.2m boat around on transom wheels over 'soft' sand that your feet sink into, I can confirm that it can be done, and even with scuba tanks/weight belt on which is another 82lbs (37kg). Photo evidence provided below.

Old 28 August 2014, 06:30   #45

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
So a SIB suits me fine. The only other craft that would foot the bill is a 14ft Porta-Bote and I am tempted by that TBH, if I can find one.

Simon
A review of the Porta-Bote can be found here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/portabo...ial-28069.html
Old 28 August 2014, 06:39   #46

We had a Porta-bote sink here. Fortunately they were divers and had exposure protection on. I believe it sunk due to taking on waves.
Old 28 August 2014, 13:23   #47

Town: South Yorkshire
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Mercury 4st
I've had a 10' and two 12' portabotes, they are great for inland rivers and canals and VERY calm seas, but I wouldnt consider one for regular sea use.
On the plus side, they are about the same time as an airfloor sib to put together and go on a roof rack very easy, the plastic body is very tough and I doubt you could split it with an axe.
But the bow is too low and does take in a small amount of water on a river in windy choppy conditions.
Old 14 September 2014, 22:23   #48

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Thanks for all the advice!

I have bought a 4.2m aerotec with a 15hp mariner 2 stroke. Yet to get out and use it due to a housemove, but totally looking forward to it

I can easily carry the folded up boat, I can easily carry the outboard and have bought some large wheels on a folding bracket to fix to the transom. I really can't see there being any issues with hauling it around.

I suspect that 15hp won't be enough to get 4+ adults onto the plane but we'll cross that bridge if we ever come to it.

Simon
Old 15 September 2014, 09:51   #49

If you are pulling your sib along the beach on transom wheels rig up a thick galvanised pole to the bow with some rope.
I use stainless steel karabiners to clip it on and off.
I this set up for pulling my sib up the shore and it makes things a lot easier.
I clench the pole with my palms of my hands facing to my rear with the pole horizontal accross the base of my spine .
This helps spread the weight and allows you to use your legs to propel forward.
It's a bit like the truck pull in world's strongest man lol!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1410774542270.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	98856   Click image for larger version

Name:	1410774683990.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	98857