Old 05 June 2022, 18:14   #1

Bottom damage

Hi all,

Due some issue with the trailer a sharp edge came in contact with the bottom fabric from our quicksilver sport HD. Causing quite a big tear. It runs from the middle of the bottom, we’re the middle protection strip sits for something of 30 - 50 cm… it did not damaged the inflatable piece of the bottom, giving the boats its shape.

The boat is 3/4 year old and we are really happy with it..

Two questions:
  1. Can something like this responsibly be repaired?
  2. What would be the best first center roller for a sib on a trailer? It’s now something like this, we’re the side support caused the tear. It’s really narrow and the iron sides are really close to the fabric.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05 June 2022, 19:39   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperj View Post
Hi all,

Due some issue with the trailer a sharp edge came in contact with the bottom fabric from our quicksilver sport HD. Causing quite a big tear. It runs from the middle of the bottom, we’re the middle protection strip sits for something of 30 - 50 cm… it did not damaged the inflatable piece of the bottom, giving the boats its shape.

The boat is 3/4 year old and we are really happy with it..

Two questions:

1. Can something like this responsibly be repaired?
  2. What would be the best first center roller for a sib on a trailer? It’s now something like this, we’re the side support caused the tear. It’s really narrow and the iron sides are really close to the fabric.

Thanks for your help!

Personally I’d expect a SIB to be on a bunked trailer, not a roller trailer. I’d question the suitability of that trailer for a SIB.
Obviously just my opinion.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2022, 19:48   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Sorry to hear you boat has been damaged.

For the SIB itself, post pictures so you can get a decision.

On the trailer, the bottom rollers shouldn’t be sitting at 90° angle on the cross rails in my opinion, as the roller hinge base has sharp edges. That’s the primary source of your issue.

You want your rollers higher than any protruding metalwork, rounded galvanised edges or not.
Old 05 June 2022, 19:54   #4

For the record the trailer is not mine. But the center piece gives a bit of an impression….

And indeed the galvanised holder of the roller is the issue with the damage.

On the sides for the tubes I’ve big trumpet rollers. So it’s only the the center roller giving me issues.

I’ll upload a photo form the tear.
Old 05 June 2022, 19:57   #5

Old 05 June 2022, 20:05   #6

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I'd agree with PD. Full length bunks positioned so that they support the tubes where the "hull" and tubes join would allow you to do away with the centre rollers. The trumpet rollers you have are not supporting that much of your sib.

I'd repair the tear with a patch on the inside and the outside. Rounding off the corners of the patch would help to prevent the patch being lifted by the force of the water travelling over it.
Old 05 June 2022, 20:38   #7

Thanks!

To patch both inside and outside sounds like a plan.

On the bunks for the trailer, do you mean then the longer supports I see wrapped in soft carpet?

Will that work with a tilt trailer? We mainly go in the water by using the tilt t feature of the trailer.
Old 05 June 2022, 20:48   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I think you’ve been very lucky with just that amount of damage
Old 05 June 2022, 20:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperj View Post
Thanks!

To patch both inside and outside sounds like a plan.

On the bunks for the trailer, do you mean then the longer supports I see wrapped in soft carpet?

Will that work with a tilt trailer? We mainly go in the water by using the tilt t feature of the trailer.
I found that carpet caused to much friction and the SIB tended to "stick" to it when launching and recovering. I now use HDPE (all thanks to Jeff Stevens for the suggestion) on the top of the bunks.

Sorry can't really help you re: tilt trailer, but I don't see any reason why not.
Old 06 June 2022, 06:24   #10

How annoying.

It looks like your trailer is completely modular so I'd consider taking the wheels off and replacing with bunks and a couple of single pads for the bows and transom. Someone like Extreme will probably quote for the individual components.

Bunks are obviously going to have more friction but they're the right tool for SIBs. The boats are so buoyant they float off the bunks with very little water.
Old 06 June 2022, 06:58   #11

Can imagine that the bunks are best indeed for SIB's.

Only there will be a lot of friction trying to get it in with the tilt feature I believe..

We mainly trailer it like this without a ramp. We can enter the water 5 min. from our house this way.

Old 06 June 2022, 08:17   #12

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Hi Jasperj. I don’t have any experience of using a trailer for a rib, or sib, but I did suffer some gel coat damage on my previous fibre glass boat, caused by the keel roller similar to yours. This occurred during launch and recovery. I fitted a small roller on each end of the keel roller, which shielded the boat from the brackets. It just needed a longer axle bolt to carry the three rollers. I never had any problems after that. I think you can also buy the complete assembly with the three rollers.
Old 06 June 2022, 08:17   #13

I can see your logic now.

5 mins drive with the boat sitting on the side rollers is probably going to be fine. I'd personally not store it on them though and would make up some 4x2 loose bunks that I simply lifted the side of the boat and put on those rollers when home. That way the whole of the tubes are taking the weight when not being used if you leave it set up. I'd also use them lashes in place when transporting more than a few miles.

The next issue is the centre rollers. Do you need them? If not then take them off and consider fitting a single, wide bunk. If that would create too much friction then find someone who'll knock you up some stainless steel spacers with rounded ends so you can raise each roller a couple of inches above the bracket. Assuming you have a couple of inches spare on the side roller supports to raise them?

U.K. Custom Parts on eBay has marine grade 3mm steel bar and a laser cutter so could probably make you up some blanks, drilled in the right place and with the ends rounded off.
Old 06 June 2022, 08:27   #14

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Think the current center roller is just a poor design. The rough edges from the galvanised steel are to close to the boat. Wether it being a sib, rib or other.

I’ve to posts sitting underneath the transom to support most of the weight. Theses are manually screwed up for storage and transport.

Stupid thing is that I was already searching for modifications to the trailer because I had fear of this happening. So now I once more learned the hard way to fix things before it gets worse.

If I’m able to make these bunks liftable too, than I could trailer it in and out on the trumpet rollers and lift the bunks after taking over the weight. That sound like a plan.
Old 06 June 2022, 13:03   #15

Okay... little bit further in time and I've identified some options for the damage:

1. Repair DIY
Patch both sides with black PVC and add 2 strokes of keel protection strips to cover it a bit up and add protection for landing on beaches in future use.

Estimated cost €200 - €250

2. Repair by shop
The offered to patch both sides

Estimated cost €350 - €450

3. Trade in for same boat, which is available almost brand new young used from 2022.

Estimated cost €650 - €750

First idea was that I would prefer to trade it in and be good from the start.
Second thought is that a DIY repair would be the way to go... It is the cheapest, gives me added protection for future use and would be beneficial to have this skills anyway.

While I have the glue at home I can also add some additional D rings and Scotty attachments that are on my wishlist too.

What do you think about the above options?
And is the repair as straight forward as I think it is? Glue both sides, wait a few minutes then neatly stick them together and put pressure with a roller?

The end result would look something like this:
Old 06 June 2022, 22:41   #16

I'd definitely repair it myself, the link will give you a good idea of what is involved. Obviously your patch will be bigger, rectangular with rounded corners and you need to patch both sides. If your repair is done correctly I don't really see the benefit of the extra keel strips unless of course your a bit heavy handed when beaching!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...vHo-uiSgrxAnK6

Post #57 of this thread will give you an idea of what I mean when I say a rectangular with rounded corners.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/winter...s-84986-3.html
Old 07 June 2022, 10:22   #17

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Having patched a previous SIB in many areas I'd say this is a fairly easy repair so I'd just DIY patch both sides going with every detail of the instructions.
Old 07 June 2022, 13:01   #18

Thanks for all support.
Feel confident that I can repair it myself so I’ve collected all materials at the dealer.

Just for the though adventure look I’m adding the 2 keel protection strips. Potentially I will be able to cover up the whole patch with it.. the dealer advised to go around the tear with at least 3cm additional space, so it will be close.

While I have the glue at home I’ll be adding D rings to it to secure some stuff and I’m think about adding Scotty pads to connect rods. So overall I’ll be doing some work in the boat.
Old 09 June 2022, 22:11   #19

I’ve started the repair. Did the inside tonight and will do the outside tomorrow.

Old 10 June 2022, 20:20   #20

Patched the outside today. Sunday I’ll hopefully do the protection strips and then it’s already fixed.
L

Only thing is to stil fix the trailer.