Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 11 July 2015, 11:15   #61
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
And there's more

If it was me - I'd move the handrail a touch (if necessary) and drill the rocks/steps to accept small expanding bolts. I'd then fit a few wooden planks to allow the trolley over the worse bits. Remove them each winter and renew in spring if required.
Old 12 July 2015, 12:08   #62

Length: no boat
Hey Willk,
Thank you for the input! - Why not move a complete boat down a temporary ramp instead?
It doesn't make sense to me to fiddle with the boat so close to the plateau where it could be inflated and made ready for launch. It could also be parked here almost ready to launch.
I get your points by being tired of the small trips. And I have no idea how good an experience this is going to be. my main motivation is the location by the sea, I did have a larger boat (Askeladden Z7) It had to be winter stored and so on, I hated the experience. So i'm looking for something simple
I'm willing to go far to make something work directly from my house.
Instead of a trailer, i was thinking about using the launch wheels and something temporary for the the bow?
Old 12 July 2015, 18:16   #63

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
From your diagram, you seem to be thinking along the right lines. I'd still recommend a dolly with the polyurethane balloon tires over a transom wheel/bow wheel combo. It would be far less stressful on your boat because you'd be winching directly on the dolly, rather than winching on a bow wheel which would transfer the load to the rear wheels via the boat fabric.

If you go with a 6 wheel dolly, you'd be able handle sib or light rib up to about 5 meters, which will expand your boating options considerably.
Old 12 July 2015, 21:50   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
From your diagram, you seem to be thinking along the right lines. I'd still recommend a dolly with the polyurethane balloon tires over a transom wheel/bow wheel combo. It would be far less stressful on your boat because you'd be winching directly on the dolly, rather than winching on a bow wheel which would transfer the load to the rear wheels via the boat fabric.

If you go with a 6 wheel dolly, you'd be able handle sib or light rib up to about 5 meters, which will expand your boating options considerably.
Thanks! - I'm sure the dolly would make the job easier, but it would also add 100 lbs or more to the setup while going down the ramp and while moving around on the beach, will the extra weight be insignificant compared to how the wheels will improve the maneuvering of the packed boat?
Old 14 July 2015, 01:08   #65

Assuming you are using an electric or hand winch, I'm sure the dolly would be well worth it's weight. One other option to consider that is simpler and inexpensive than dollys or transom/bow wheels is to use 3-4 inflatable boat rollers.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/inflata...ers-67455.html
Old 15 July 2015, 18:25   #66

Length: 10m +
All great ideas.

Very nice place! I would be out on my boat everyday...

If this were mine, I'd set up a boat zip-line. I'd install a rock anchor 'D' hook in one of the boulders out in the water and a heavily anchored metal post/pole up behind the deck/patio in a semi-hidden location. I'd then put a heavy duty winch on the pole so that I could run a cable out to the rock and pull it tight.

Start off with the cable loose. Have a pully with four cables that hang down and latch it on to the boat D-rings. Winch the cable tight and it lifts the boat up off the ground. Use a rope or another winch and pull it up clearing the rocks, slowly release the tension on the supporting cable and drop it down to the deck.

When not in use, you can de-latch the cable from the boulder, pull it back up to the upper level and remove it from sight so you don't ruin your view.

Attached weird pic. Instead of the funny looking guy, it could be your boat...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	from-the-worlds-highest.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	107090  
Old 16 July 2015, 06:55   #67

Best idea yet! ^
Old 16 July 2015, 08:21   #68

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yes and the same solution I offered in post 13 as lateral thinking. Still reckon it would be the neatest option, one with low friction so ease of operation and the least potential for boat damage.
Old 16 July 2015, 08:25   #69

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
Could you not use a pair of 6m extendible ladders with wooden planking laid over the rungs to provide a surface for wheels to run over?

Sure they might flex but it's not as though it's a drop underneath, they might flex and rest on the rocks.

The ladders would be simple to pull up and put down and easy to store. They are also reasonably cheap and easy to get hold of.
Old 16 July 2015, 21:23   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
All great ideas.

Very nice place! I would be out on my boat everyday...

If this were mine, I'd set up a boat zip-line. I'd install a rock anchor 'D' hook in one of the boulders out in the water and a heavily anchored metal post/pole up behind the deck/patio in a semi-hidden location. I'd then put a heavy duty winch on the pole so that I could run a cable out to the rock and pull it tight.

Start off with the cable loose. Have a pully with four cables that hang down and latch it on to the boat D-rings. Winch the cable tight and it lifts the boat up off the ground. Use a rope or another winch and pull it up clearing the rocks, slowly release the tension on the supporting cable and drop it down to the deck.

When not in use, you can de-latch the cable from the boulder, pull it back up to the upper level and remove it from sight so you don't ruin your view.

Attached weird pic. Instead of the funny looking guy, it could be your boat...
I like the idea, but It opens up to some safety issues. The beach is quiet but people do walk past the property and a boat hanging in the air above their heads might set of alarms.

Is this how you imagine it? I have set the drawing to scale. I'm not sure how much such a cable will expand/flex and how much force is needed to keep it straight enough to let the boat past the 'lip' of the plateau.
also I'm not sure how much force is needed to pull the boat back up/control the downwards slide.

Edit: I found a simple calculator http://photoshipone.com/calculating-...e-cam-rigging/ - And it seems like the tension will be very high if the sag is low as it would need to be. If the sag is high like 1meter then the tension isn't so high but the mounting point by the house would need to be raised up to like 5+ meters? - pretty hard to have a winch up there.
Old 17 July 2015, 06:58   #71

Town: gloucestershire
2x electric winches mounted on the top pole/A frame, 1 is sky line the other is boat control/recovery,wander lead or remote control. I would make a light weight/low profile galvanized cradle that doubled as a launch cart with straps to fix the skyline permanently fixed to it.

This should tick all the boxes. easy to use, not spoil view, quick/ light to set up.

To do this nicely and make it last(saltwater corrosion) will take a bit of thought and money, if you were in england I would take it on as it would be an interesting project.
Old 17 July 2015, 07:15   #72
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Whilst a skyline would be cool, in practice making it work would be fraught with difficulties, dangers and expense. Personally I'd file it under "lunatic schemes".

Couldn't you just build a permanent launch ramp using scaffolding and timber? It would make using the boat easy, wouldn't cost much, and if necessary could be removed in the future without too much difficulty.
Old 17 July 2015, 12:27   #73

Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDK View Post
I like the idea, but It opens up to some safety issues. The beach is quiet but people do walk past the property and a boat hanging in the air above their heads might set of alarms.

Is this how you imagine it? If the sag is high like 1meter then the tension isn't so high but the mounting point by the house would need to be raised up to like 5+ meters? - pretty hard to have a winch up there.
Yes, similar. Particularly I envisioned an inverse pulley at the top of the pole with the winch at your operating level mounted lower down on the pole. In my world I'm also use to seeing offroad vehicle winches that have 12,000 lb pulling capacity, have remote control and are weather resistant. Not too sure how they would hold up in the salty air though.

Whether you use a ramp and bring your boat down or inflate it along the shore, it sounds like you will have people around, so either way, at some point, you're just going to have to say screw it if you're going to use a boat at all.
Old 17 July 2015, 14:42   #74

Town: York
Boat name: Rubber Johnny
Make: Avon Supersport 3.45
Engine: Mariner 40 2 stroke
i genuinely don't understand why this thread has gone to such complicated and ott levels to launch a small sib?

surely, the method of least resistance would be best,

removable ramps, block, tackle, rope, transom wheels.

cheap if you use 6m extending alloy ladders with builders planking fixed with u bolts (even use wing nuts to remove if needed) so they don't slide, light easy to store in 99% of garages/ sheds/ green houses and take 10 mins to rig up or even leave ready to deploy at a moments notice next to the SIB.

couple of blocks & 100m of rope, reduce the lifting strain buy a factor of 3 and be able to pay out the lines in a controlled fashion.

all this talk of stressed zip wires, crane and so on seems somewhat extreme.

or am i talking out of turn, if so tell me to pipe down.
Old 17 July 2015, 14:46   #75

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Nope, you're bang on the money. We just got bored😄 I'd go for the Chinook option meself 👍

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2015, 14:49   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Nope, you're bang on the money. We just got bored😄 I'd go for the Chinook option meself 👍

.....sh1t happens.......

kinda figured but hey.
Old 20 July 2015, 21:33   #77

I'm currently digesting all the great info in this thread and found a small photo of a similar solution ;-)
Old 21 July 2015, 08:45   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDK View Post
I'm currently digesting all the great info in this thread and found a small photo of a similar solution ;-)
cos thats defo the most easy way to do it...
Old 21 July 2015, 10:04   #79

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Would it also be possible to attach a seat to the zip line so once the sib is deployed, you can get into the seat and slid down yourself and jump straight In and off you go, no wet feet
Old 21 July 2015, 11:23   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhitchuk View Post
Would it also be possible to attach a seat to the zip line so once the sib is deployed, you can get into the seat and slid down yourself and jump straight In and off you go, no wet feet
kinda like a james bond , thunderbirds thing? class wi "flight of the valkyries" playin over a tanoy!!

screaming "charlie don't surf!!" as you go!!

Tags
rib