Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 05 June 2018, 08:45   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Anyone run a Honwave T27-ie with a 6hp 4 stroke?

Not my usual set-up as the advice is always go 3.4 or bigger with 15 or so but curious as discussing boats with Mrs Max... on the Dart last week.

One day will come when my son is no longer my main boating partner and with a sea-phobic wife SIBing will almost exclusively be river trips and pootling and holidays in a car rather than the big old Disco. Absolute compactness and minimum weight will be priorities and from eyeing up endless Honwaves that exist on the Dart a diddy 2.7 will be fine for two of us on the river. Suzuki's latest four stroke 4/5/6 are all the same weight (24kg) so may as well go 6hp.

I love my Merc 15 2 smoke but the noise is a PITA at river speeds so will have to be 4 stroke for that reason alone.

Of course I will want to go out to sea occasionally - just wondering how a 6 will go with the little Honwave and one person, smallest engine I've ever run was a 9.8.

Or the HW 3.2 with a 6 as well as might still go bigger to have the option of using the 15 or having more passengers...
Old 05 June 2018, 10:02   #2

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
I had the 2.4 honwave when I started which worked great with the 2hp Honda outboard, then I got a mariner 6hp and this was probably down to my inexperience, when you Gave it some revs one up the sib lifted up to a 45% angle, no real way of getting any weight up front as the fuel tank was onboard the engine and I had no tiller at the time, also I always found the honwave really heavy, but that might have just been me, I now have a nice light yam badged zodiac which I’m happy with
Old 05 June 2018, 13:33   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I must admit Max sometimes... just sometimes... I'd like to be able to chuck a small SIB in the water with a small integral tank OB.... no floor mat faff... no transom wheels... no plotter transducer to bolt on... no heavy fuel tank etc.

But we kinda learned that lesson in the brief period we downshifted to a 3m Avon with 4hp motor... we'd get to the end of the estuary with bow pointing to sea and I'd think... got to turn round. One major factor for me though... Mrs F is fearless on the sea and has absolute faith in my ability so always wants to go on. If she didn't have that attitude things might be quite different.

It has to be said though for this very specific circumstance a small Frib might suit you as they go so well on small OBs as Gurnard has found.

If you were going for a lightweight sub-3m could you car top it?
Old 05 June 2018, 16:03   #4

Here you are Max... no half measures... river and estuary only... superlight at 36kg inc OB. Air floor SIB and Honda egg whisk with 1hrs use for £700 less than new if it came at start price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/inflatabl...0AAOSwf95a8HLA

Boat under one arm... OB in the other... could carry it anywhere... over banks... down steps... round locks etc.
Old 05 June 2018, 16:10   #5

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
When you hit waves, you will probably want to proceed cautiously in a small boat, therefore you can manage with a small engine. When I was dong a lot of solo diving, I had a 3 hp on a SIB that I never measured but was around3.3 to 3.4 metres. With the 3 hp 2 stroke, it chugged along at a brisk enough pace, but not planing. That was plenty when it was choppy andI didn't want to be slamming myself and my kit up and down.

A 2.7 with a 6 sounds great fun. As always, there is the temptation to go for the extra 20 cm or the extra 2 hp, but I think the package you've described sounds great for pootling in a range of circumstances.
Old 06 June 2018, 11:25   #6

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Thanks chaps.

This is looking into the future so not deflating the old Aerotec for good for some time yet!

Must admit though, when I do then I'd like to end my boating days bobbing up and down on the Dart in a nicely preserved Hypalon and marine ply Zodiac or Avon. Completely contradicting myself and it doesn't fit the compact/light/quick set up criteria but they have a huge appeal.

Back to the OP though - one up and properly balanced with a tiller extension to get weight up what would you expect from a 6hp and 2.7 to 3.2 HW?
Old 06 June 2018, 11:53   #7

>>> I'd like to end my boating days bobbing up and down on the Dart in a nicely preserved Hypalon and marine ply Zodiac or Avon. Completely contradicting myself...

Indeed... you're swerving again!
Old 06 June 2018, 13:46   #8

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
A 2.7 with a 15hp 2 stroke could be a lot of fun 1 up [emoji41]
Old 06 June 2018, 16:05   #9

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Check out the gurnard wee toy with six hp I think he get about 15kns with his set up f/rib 2.7 [emoji6]
Old 06 June 2018, 17:04   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Check out the gurnard wee toy with six hp I think he get about 15kns with his set up f/rib 2.7 [emoji6]
+1 he manages that very easy 6hp yam on it, have thought of the takakat with a 10 but planes with less
Old 21 August 2020, 20:48   #11

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
Ive got a T32 and 6hp. It planes easily at about 14 knots with just me. With my brother (14 stone plus 15 stone) it does about 5 knots
Old 15 December 2020, 16:01   #12

Town: Newport
Make: Elling KB 350
Hi
Still looking - in no rush...lol
I like the honwave, but more so the elling 350. Worried about weight of shifting the motor. Mostly would be on a lake or estuary, possibly very very close in around the coast (100yds)

6hp honda / tohatsu weight wise looks good.

At coast would be me and the mrs.

I know 6hp is small, but my concern isn't speed, but drifting out to sea with the tide...

your thoughts gentlemen please
Old 15 December 2020, 16:18   #13

Just watched this on iPlayerOriginally Posted by pumpkinking View Post
Series 5, Episode 8, @ 43:00

A good demonstration of a 3m Sib with a 5hp running two up into a strong tide. Found it quite eye opening... performed better than I’d expected, not that you’d want to make a habit of it!
Old 16 December 2020, 05:56   #14

Town: Chelmsford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
Just watched this on iPlayerOriginally Posted by pumpkinking View Post
Series 5, Episode 8, @ 43:00

A good demonstration of a 3m Sib with a 5hp running two up into a strong tide. Found it quite eye opening... performed better than I’d expected, not that you’d want to make a habit of it!
was there supposed to be a link somewhere in your post ?
Old 16 December 2020, 07:16   #15

No
It’s on bbc iplayer, so you would have to log in.
Sorry