Old 23 June 2020, 18:14   #1

Town: Northwich
Make: Elling
Length: 3m +
Engine: Orca 9.8 4 stroke
RIBase
Outboard Motor Tiller extension handle

Hi Lads
I have a 3.5mt Sib with a 4 stroke 9.8 hp outboard.

My Question is;- When on your own is it better to use a Tiller extension handle so to sit more forward on the boat to even the weight so to stop the front lifting too much and make a better ride.
Old 23 June 2020, 18:21   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibfisher View Post
Hi Lads
I have a 3.5mt Sib with a 4 stroke 9.8 hp outboard.

My Question is;- When on your own is it better to use a Tiller extension handle so to sit more forward on the boat to even the weight so to stop the front lifting too much and make a better ride.
On a boat that length, it might be a good idea. Depends where you stow your fuel tank, anchor box etc. Also depends to some extent on the weather and waves. However, having the bow too light can at best be inefficient and at worst, dangerous.

I can plane my 310 comfortably solo without a tiller extension.
Old 23 June 2020, 18:52   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I've said this already today but "it's a personal thing". I dislike tiller extensions as they make me feel not quite in control so on the rare occasions I'm bow light I'll try and move stuff forward to balance out. But loads use tiller extensions and particularly on longer passages they can be very useful.
Old 23 June 2020, 20:30   #4

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Sibfisher

My personal preference is not to use a tiller extension if its not needed. I don’t use one on my Quicksilver 4.3 as its 25HP horses the boat easily around and I have a lot of weigh up front despite this photo pointing nose high ( it was accelerating onto the plane when the photo was taken)

I have no option but to use a tiller extension on the wee F Rib. I would prefer to sit further back as it might reduce the slamming effect going in wave .. however the 6HP wont get on the plane in this particular boat if I slide the seat back. It needs every bit of weight I can get..as far forward as possible to get up its speed up

My mate who planes his T38 Honwave is the same..his weight needs to be in the centre of the boat when using a 6HP so uses a tiller extension, or it wont plane, if he sits at the back. However when he uses his 9.9 or 20HP ..its got the power to easily plane and to not need a tiller extension.

If yours planes easily.. and you can move weight around to assist trim..why bother with an extension

Hope that helps some
Old 23 June 2020, 22:45   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi Sibfisher

My personal preference is not to use a tiller extension if its not needed. I don’t use one on my Quicksilver 4.3 as its 25HP horses the boat easily around and I have a lot of weigh up front despite this photo pointing nose high ( it was accelerating onto the plane when the photo was taken)

I have no option but to use a tiller extension on the wee F Rib. I would prefer to sit further back as it might reduce the slamming effect going in wave .. however the 6HP wont get on the plane in this particular boat if I slide the seat back. It needs every bit of weight I can get..as far forward as possible to get up its speed up

My mate who planes his T38 Honwave is the same..his weight needs to be in the centre of the boat when using a 6HP so uses a tiller extension, or it wont plane, if he sits at the back. However when he uses his 9.9 or 20HP ..its got the power to easily plane and to not need a tiller extension.

If yours planes easily.. and you can move weight around to assist trim..why bother with an extension

Hope that helps some
Thanks for all the recommendations and for the photos Gurnard.

In my earlier posts when I first bought the Elling KD350 before te lock down.
I asked advice as I bought it to take to Spain, I will be doing this on the 5 July at last and was advised by members what paper work I would need for this which I have now.

Because of the lock down have not realy tested my Sib so dont know how easy or hard it is to get on the plain, the reason for asking is some youtube vids I have watched some have a tiller extension and one said it was best to use if your on your own, as I am taking the boat to Spain I would like to buy one before I leave as it will cost me more to buy and send over there if I found I needed one.

Thanks again for all the help & advice
Old 24 June 2020, 08:15   #6

Make: F-rib
Engine: Mariner 15HP
Just back up what the guys said, you probably won't know till you have tried the boat a bit. I have a F-rib 330 and use one when solo as the F-rib is quite a nose up design and whilst it will plane with me sitting at the back you end up looking at the clouds a bit

WIth the tiller extension I can sit much further forward and it is easier to get it to plane with the smaller (6HP) engine.

TBH the tiller extensions aren't that expensive so maybe worth having one if you think you will be flying solo?

Cheers,

MM
Old 24 June 2020, 08:37   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I posted some thoughts and a review of one some time back, link below.

I still use it sometimes but not always depending on boat use, conditions etc.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sib-te...iew-68341.html
Old 24 June 2020, 12:34   #8

RIBase
Thanks again for all the advice and the post up max it made a very interesting read,

Taking advice and has said they are not expensive I have ordered an extensible one off Ebay for £20 which is cheap and will see if it is a benefit and works well for me when on my Sib.
I will put a post up when it arrives.
Old 25 June 2020, 13:22   #9

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Bit late to join this discussion, but for what its worth, I use an extension from ebay on my 9.8hp 4 stroke Tohatsu and 2.9 Quicksilver AluRib.
The full 12 litre tank in the bow was not enough to keep the bow down, so I finished with the seat fully forward on its runners to get on the plane.
Then my arms were not long enough! I could manage but only with an awkward posture.
I found an offcut of 40mm waste pipe and cut a slit cut along one end. That slid over the tiller grip and was fixed cable ties. That worked well enough to prove the point and enabled me to measure the optimum length. I ordered an aluminium and plastic telescopic extension from ebay, about £18 I think, and it is just the job.
The only down side with it is that if you tug on it hard enough along its length, you can pull it off if the thumb screw that clamps it to the tiller grip is not tight enough. After doing that once, I realised that you just need to check that it is still tight and secure from time to time.
Old 25 June 2020, 19:43   #10

RIBase
The one that I have orderd is below not sure if this right or wrong

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outboard-...72.m2749.l2649
Old 25 June 2020, 19:47   #11

RIBase
Your comments are never too late Pecheur Anglais always appreciated.
Old 25 June 2020, 21:32   #12

Town: edinburgh
Boat name: So Tender
Make: avon
Engine: yam 30 2t
For all the cost of a tiller extension, i would take one with me to Spain, and try it??
Old 26 June 2020, 08:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibfisher View Post
Your comments are never too late Pecheur Anglais always appreciated.
Thanks Sibfisher.

Mine is the same make but just extends 17" to 24". Then again, my boat is only 2.9m, so less reach needed.
Old 21 August 2020, 17:47   #14

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
I have one and its much better sitting on the bench seat looking forward and better balanced at non planing speeds.
My first tiller extender had 4 screws which was a puncture hazard and took a while getting on and off at locks.
I changed it for one with one screw that doesnt stick out.
Also I went from 4 knots to 6 knots on the same revs by sitting on the bench seat using the tiller extender
Old 16 December 2020, 20:27   #15

Town: Long Island
Boat name: red joe
Make: dont know
Engine: outboar petrol 9,9
Hi, I´m new here and would like to hear your opinion: I have a Yamaha 9,9 and I want to use my Tiller extension in order to be more stable, easier plane and use the motor more efficient. However I have a tiller extension like in the pic. My problem: The original rubber handle grip of my motor (where the extension is mounted on) is so soft. Whenever I want to use the tiller extension to steer left or right the handle grip is bowing to almost 90 degrees so I cannot really use it. Anybody else has same experience? Maybe already a solution to it? Thanks for your feedback! Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinnenverlaengerung03.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	135805  
Old 17 December 2020, 04:40   #16

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
have you loosened the tiller damping screw off so the tiller will move from side to side more easily .there is always some flex with these things but not usually enough to cause issues
Old 17 December 2020, 05:56   #17

Mine only bows if the extension starts to slide off. Is it pushed on far enough?

My extension fits to the tiller with a sort of split tube that clamps onto the rubber grip for its whole length. Yours looks like two narrow clamps. Do you think a piece of plastic waste pipe about the diameter of the grip, cut down its length and cut to the length of the tiller grip, could fit between the grip and your extension clips might give more rigidity?
Old 17 December 2020, 07:12   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
have you loosened the tiller damping screw off so the tiller will move from side to side more easily .there is always some flex with these things but not usually enough to cause issues

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.
I will check that possibility. When I do not use the extension the standard tiller moves very easy.
Old 17 December 2020, 07:17   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecheur Anglais View Post
Mine only bows if the extension starts to slide off. Is it pushed on far enough?

My extension fits to the tiller with a sort of split tube that clamps onto the rubber grip for its whole length. Yours looks like two narrow clamps. Do you think a piece of plastic waste pipe about the diameter of the grip, cut down its length and cut to the length of the tiller grip, could fit between the grip and your extension clips might give more rigidity?

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.
I will check that When The extension fits very tight on the standard tiller but this I could handle with longer screws. You are 100% right that it does not cover the whole length. Having been working on motorbikes a lot I was under the impression that under the rubber should be a metal tube like on the bikes. Obviously that is not the case.Looks like the easiest solution is a thin metal tube wrapped around the throttle grip and on top of that the extension. Thanks for the reply!

Tags
outboard