Old 11 September 2021, 20:09   #21

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
You have to think if your floating off it’s easy if your on soft ground to float off you need at least two people to push far enough into the water or you have to throw the boat off. You need to understand your weight of a full rig you’ve got the engine so constant, kit can vary as can fuel boat wise 365m to 435 m 20 kg difference. You’d do well to search threads on here with lots of personal set ups and different trips from fenlander who does the one day hops to gurnard on multi day wild camps you might not want to do what they do but it will explain what engine and boat set ups are capable of.
Old 11 September 2021, 20:29   #22

Town: bedlington
Length: no boat
Engine: 25hp
cheers for all the info gents. think have some thinking and decisions to make lol
Old 11 September 2021, 20:55   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
A couple of suggestions :-

Excel Volaire 390

Excel Vangaurd XHD395
i have been looking at these along with the hydrus 4m
Old 11 September 2021, 21:08   #24

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I'm failing to find the full specs for the Hydrus III 4M, but the Hydrus II 4M states a max 20hp.
Old 11 September 2021, 22:09   #25

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Our Honwave T38 (previous model IE2) was rated to max 25hp/83kg motor and the ally floor T40 is rated to 30hp.
Old 11 September 2021, 23:27   #26

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
The T38 IE3 looks a nice SIB and with a 25hp it would certainly be quick.
There was a new T38 with a 4s 20hp Tohatsu and a new T40 with a 4s 20hp Honda on the Scottish SIB Outing, both looked like they performed really well. I was a bit green eyed of the new T38, it does look good on the water and appears to cut through waves/chop better than my SD360.
My only question with it for the OP would be its suitability for fishing, it did look narrow as compared to the T40 or my SD360. I'm not into fishing so I don't know how important internal/external width is, but I'd presume the more stable a platform the better.
Old 12 September 2021, 03:57   #27
bct

The largest takacat, 420lx, is rated to 25HP. I've got a smaller takacat and really like it. Packs down small but tons of space on the boat. The open transom means that water drains instantly which has really saved my ass in waves a couple times
Old 12 September 2021, 07:28   #28

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Used to run a short shaft 25hp Yamaha on a Zodiac GT MK II C. That was with an aluminium floor (HD version). 3.7m long. Great power to weight ratio. The boat could take 40hp, but lifting a 25hp to build was on the limit, as it wasn't trailered.
Old 12 September 2021, 08:31   #29

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
For many years I ran a 4.3 Quicksilver wooden floor boat with a 25HP Mariner two stroke..52KG weight. I launched and retrieved off most beaches on my own but the Outboard was trailed across the beach on a sack trolley so I could manage.. I was 60 years old and no strongman. That was my preferred method.. transom wheels didn’t work for me as the boat was so heavy..so just shoved the trailer to the sea...then clipped the OB on.

Personally..I always felt the outfit could have used a 30HP but the weight to get to the sea ruled that out. Most 3.8 plus will go fine with your 25HP two stroke.. just ensure you have the correct shaft length. Mine was trailered as I didn’t want the faff of assembling it every time but I kept the OB in the car. So dont worry about using a 25HP .. with 4 big adults in my boat..it wouldnt plane never mind chine walk

Old 12 September 2021, 16:42   #30
bct

How did you lift the 25HP in and out of the car?
Old 12 September 2021, 17:20   #31

I never lifted the full weight bct.

Note the OB clamps are pointing away from the sack trolley..that is the secret of attaching to the boat. I had the boat floating in a foot of water ..pushed the sack trolley under the transom .. a quick push of the transom and the boat went backwards into the clamps ..if that makes sense. Tilting the trolley also lifted the clamps so they slid easily over the transom

Putting in and out the car was just as easy..I have a SUV with dropdown tailgate and flat floor..similar to a van. I put the sack trolley handles down on the floor the lifted the sack trolley bottom and slid it in. That way the SUV took half the weight and I lifted half.

Its brains instead of brawn...well ... thats what I told myself as I didn’t get a hernia

As for folks suggesting a big OB invalidates insurance ..that doesn’t worry me either ... in 66 years of boating I have never bothered with boat insurance .. each to their own I guess
Old 12 September 2021, 21:51   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Our Honwave T38 (previous model IE2) was rated to max 25hp/83kg motor and the ally floor T40 is rated to 30hp.

I suppose it depends if they changed something between the models that made it less suited to a bigger engine or if they downgraded because of reports of transom issues from the field. More likely it was just because the 2-4stroke shift increase engine weights but then they also usually specify a weight so it can’t be the full picture?

A 25 driven conservatively will however cause no more issues (until an insurance claim) than a 20 sitting on the limiter.
Old 13 September 2021, 11:25   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I never lifted the full weight bct.

Note the OB clamps are pointing away from the sack trolley..that is the secret of attaching to the boat. I had the boat floating in a foot of water ..pushed the sack trolley under the transom .. a quick push of the transom and the boat went backwards into the clamps ..if that makes sense. Tilting the trolley also lifted the clamps so they slid easily over the transom

Putting in and out the car was just as easy..I have a SUV with dropdown tailgate and flat floor..similar to a van. I put the sack trolley handles down on the floor the lifted the sack trolley bottom and slid it in. That way the SUV took half the weight and I lifted half.

Its brains instead of brawn...well ... thats what I told myself as I didn’t get a hernia

As for folks suggesting a big OB invalidates insurance ..that doesn’t worry me either ... in 66 years of boating I have never bothered with boat insurance .. each to their own I guess
so it is possible thanks very much mate. awsome set up.

as for insurance what does it cover?
Old 13 September 2021, 12:15   #34

Yup..it certainly worked for me Steve. Sometimes it was too hard to push the trailer with the bare boat on it across some beaches ..so I got round that by using inflatable boat rollers which are cheap and cheerful on a heavy inflatable.

which for me was much preferable to transom wheels which often sink in so you pull with all your strength and then the transom wheel stalks inevitably break ..that was my experience with them anyhoo.

Insurance ?

All I know is I spend a small fortune every year on car insurance and home insurance and never once made a claim or had a claim made against me. Its not compulsory for a boat but I appreciate many consider it worth paying in case something happens ..and nothing wrong with that. I fully realise I would have to pay considerable compensation if I injured a swimmer or damaged someone elses pride and joy. I recall my ex nagged me because I didn’t have life insurance so she would get money if I died .. with hindsight ... Im delighted I never had it or even died .. as she took most my money when she left for a richer man. You pays your money..you take your chance .. as they say
Old 13 September 2021, 12:47   #35

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I think Gurnard's operating area and times would mean if any incident were ever to happen it would be more likely to just involve himself than a third party as he's often launching with no other person in sight and overnighting in quite remote locations.

For those of us south of the border a launch location can have multiple other craft at the slip, dozens of onlookers, kids, swimmers, paddle boarders... and jetskis.

So there is perhaps more sense for us to get cover which is a bargain £50ish a year for £5,000,000 third party liability plus the theft/damage cover to a £2000 outfit.

He is also in an area not quite so frequented by those of the light fingered criminal gang in a van variety compared to busier southern areas.
Old 13 September 2021, 13:19   #36

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
25HP motor.... what size boat???

[ATTACH]138793

The Honwave 3.8 is rated for 25hp max.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9167.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	138793  
Old 13 September 2021, 13:39   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I think Gurnard's operating area and times would mean if any incident were ever to happen it would be more likely to just involve himself than a third party as he's often launching with no other person in sight and overnighting in quite remote locations.

For those of us south of the border a launch location can have multiple other craft at the slip, dozens of onlookers, kids, swimmers, paddle boarders... and jetskis.

So there is perhaps more sense for us to get cover which is a bargain £50ish a year for £5,000,000 third party liability plus the theft/damage cover to a £2000 outfit.

He is also in an area not quite so frequented by those of the light fingered criminal gang in a van variety compared to busier southern areas.
Achh I think you are being too hard on your southern neighbours Fenlander ..

We do get swimmers and paddle boarders up this way too ..and a lot of experts like this guy who I confess ... I enjoyed watching a couple of weeks ago. He took half a dozen attempts to reverse his trailer to the waters edge .. then proceeded to reverse out to his boat until the car stalled and water was coming in his door sills.. I noticed his boat was brand new and suspect he was too but I may be wrong and he knew the tide was going out. He did manage to winch the boat on the trailer and perhaps thought his insurance would cover his car if it was ruined.

We also have councils and marinas that ask for insurance but I don’t use these facilities.

I mention this as perhaps more to the point than where I boat .. is I hopefully know what Im doing and keep well away from swimmers..or if I even think there is one in half a mile.. will stop the outboard well off shore and then row.

As for light fingers ? .. I had my last house burgled twice ... fortunately I awoke and heard them so chased them off.

So perhaps a more balanced view of south to north is required with regards to insurance ? Its Just a though..and Im certainly not suggesting folks don’t get insurance ,.. all Im doing is lightheartedly pointing out that not everyone does...I even know a couple southerners who don’t.
Old 13 September 2021, 14:39   #38

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> I think you are being too hard on your southern neighbours Fenlander

I'm not so sure. Some typical summer slipways down south.... there's a lot to negotiate.

Where we like to launch there is a great pontoon we use several times through the day. One side is allocated for crabbing... the other "boats only".

When we return to the boats only side the tide is often ebbing such that you are firmly "glued" to the pontoon so ideally pick you spot and commit to it.

But there are always families crabbing on the boat side taking up all the mooring space. A polite request for room just before you are swept onto the pontoon is often met with resistance by the thirty something dads who tell you their (entitled) small child hasn't finished crabbing yet.

Public eh... shouldn't be let anywhere near boat launch areas.

NB: Pic credits Alamy, Geograph & St Mawes Kayak Club.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Southern slipway 1.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	138794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Southern slipway 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	138795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Southern slipway 3.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	138796  
Old 14 September 2021, 15:53   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> I think you are being too hard on your southern neighbours Fenlander

I'm not so sure. Some typical summer slipways down south.... there's a lot to negotiate.

Where we like to launch there is a great pontoon we use several times through the day. One side is allocated for crabbing... the other "boats only".

When we return to the boats only side the tide is often ebbing such that you are firmly "glued" to the pontoon so ideally pick you spot and commit to it.

But there are always families crabbing on the boat side taking up all the mooring space. A polite request for room just before you are swept onto the pontoon is often met with resistance by the thirty something dads who tell you their (entitled) small child hasn't finished crabbing yet.

Public eh... shouldn't be let anywhere near boat launch areas.

NB: Pic credits Alamy, Geograph & St Mawes Kayak Club.
lol the photos make me laugh. we have our boat at cresswell (northumberland) and on a good summers day you get the odd dog walker on the beach in the morning but when we come back in on low tide the beach is rammed. the looks we get when a big dirty rusty tractor come tearing through the dunes with a trailer on the back. but the nuggets just lie there on there towels expecting you to slalom around them. they eventually move when you stop a couple meters from them reving the tractor
Old 14 September 2021, 15:56   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Yup..it certainly worked for me Steve. Sometimes it was too hard to push the trailer with the bare boat on it across some beaches ..so I got round that by using inflatable boat rollers which are cheap and cheerful on a heavy inflatable.

which for me was much preferable to transom wheels which often sink in so you pull with all your strength and then the transom wheel stalks inevitably break ..that was my experience with them anyhoo.

Insurance ?

All I know is I spend a small fortune every year on car insurance and home insurance and never once made a claim or had a claim made against me. Its not compulsory for a boat but I appreciate many consider it worth paying in case something happens ..and nothing wrong with that. I fully realise I would have to pay considerable compensation if I injured a swimmer or damaged someone elses pride and joy. I recall my ex nagged me because I didn’t have life insurance so she would get money if I died .. with hindsight ... Im delighted I never had it or even died .. as she took most my money when she left for a richer man. You pays your money..you take your chance .. as they say
great incite mate thank you. i will be launching from a slip way 90% of the time so i recon i can manage a 4m after seeing your photos thanks again