Old 11 September 2021, 19:35   #1

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
Boat show

For the first time in a few years, I managed to get to Southampton boat show today. The traders were somewhat slimmed down, especially at the millionaire end of the scale, but Boatworld had a decent presence, as did Excel.
I had a look at the Elling which has a growing following here, and can see why. They’ve got stock, I was told, if anyone is still looking.
It was good to see what’s new, and some old favourites.
Selva outboards had a decent stand, with a 6 hp four stroke, with direct injection lubrication( as in modern two strokes), with separate oil tank, and no wet sump!
Not sure what to make of that.
Old 11 September 2021, 19:54   #2

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
For the first time in a few years, I managed to get to Southampton boat show today. The traders were somewhat slimmed down, especially at the millionaire end of the scale, but Boatworld had a decent presence, as did Excel.
I had a look at the Elling which has a growing following here, and can see why. They’ve got stock, I was told, if anyone is still looking.
It was good to see what’s new, and some old favourites.
Selva outboards had a decent stand, with a 6 hp four stroke, with direct injection lubrication( as in modern two strokes), with separate oil tank, and no wet sump!
Not sure what to make of that.
Thanks for your chat re your visit ,i had a feeling it may be slimmer than normal ,but am going monday so hope theres a few rib exibitors there .
i have seen the exibitors list and it doesnt read too well but i am hoping they have sold some space cheap to bring up numbers late on
Old 11 September 2021, 20:44   #3

Yes, definitely slimmed down. Plenty of ribs represented, - Brig, Cobra, Ribcraft, Highfield etc. Lots of water sports, SUP’s, dinghies, and inflatable canoes, spearfish etc.
Not much in the way of simple”must have” accessories ( that I was looking for, admittedly!)
A few new ideas, and Plenty of boats out on the marina to drool over. Bentley and Morgan cars had stands, but I’d blown my budget this year, so had to give them a miss!
I’m sure you will find something to catch your eye.
Old 12 September 2021, 13:34   #4

I meant to add- you need proof of negative COVID test to gain entry. I took a lateral flow test, and registered result on nhs site, and showed confirmation to them on my phone. There’s a link supplied on boat show website.
On my way out of the show, it looked like some weren’t aware of this, and had been refused entry, which would be a blow if you had travelled some way to see it.
Old 12 September 2021, 15:59   #5

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
There's not many chandleries represented. The parade of Force 4, Marine Superstore and the chap selling jiggle syphon's was missing. I didn't find a cover maker and the rope stall that I seem to have an obsession with buying 14mm octoplait from wasn't there either. It had the feel of a trade how rather than a consumer show. I did think it was easier to walk round in terms of layout and you could zig zag round the on water part more easily.
Old 12 September 2021, 16:12   #6

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I must go to one of these boats shows one year, to look at things I can’t afford.
Old 12 September 2021, 16:55   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
and the rope stall that I seem to have an obsession with buying 14mm octoplait from wasn't there either.
Too bad, I know how you feel. My wife doesn't allow me to go into "rope shops"....
Old 14 September 2021, 18:09   #8

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
Yes, definitely slimmed down. Plenty of ribs represented, - Brig, Cobra, Ribcraft, Highfield etc. Lots of water sports, SUP’s, dinghies, and inflatable canoes, spearfish etc.
Not much in the way of simple”must have” accessories ( that I was looking for, admittedly!)
A few new ideas, and Plenty of boats out on the marina to drool over. Bentley and Morgan cars had stands, but I’d blown my budget this year, so had to give them a miss!
I’m sure you will find something to catch your eye.
Had a run out to southampton yesterday and was impressed ,have been for the last 4 consecutive shows and i enjoyed it more than usual ,as you suggest ribs were well represented ,with both the traditional there including xs R/c etc alongside the newer generation with brig and grand showing there gin palace style with emphasis on big ! ,commercial uk seem to be showing big commercial style boats with there stands annoyingly populated by people saying "we ve got one of those at work !" ,Highfield seem to be trying to occupy both sectors with sport or patrol and to be honest looked very fit for purpose however i never checked the ally welding , cobra are showing a twisted package with rib and defender for the purist which is quite stunning (as is the price )
I think the lack of overseas visitors is helpful (athough not for the sellers ) as it relieves the bundle trying to get to look on the stands
not my bag but loads of chinese sibs and ribs with one ok looking 5 metre rib on the way into the show with branded 60hp for £18995 which would certainly tick alot of boxes for family fun !
One striking factor was the amount of hardboat you can buy for 30K compared to rib prices !
Just in case you are in two minds whether to go or not ,i would say "have a day out ,probhably fly into southampton from most places for £40"
Old 14 September 2021, 18:48   #9

Glad you enjoyed it, too. You’re right about the smaller crowds. I was able to chat to exhibitors at will, and take time to look at boats properly. A good day out.