Old 10 December 2010, 00:42   #21

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsy View Post
Insurance is not a legal for UK sea's ..... and long may it stay that way....
English may be my first language, but my British is very poor. What does that sentence mean (in English)?
Old 10 December 2010, 08:21   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
English may be my first language, but my British is very poor. What does that sentence mean (in English)?
PT - I think he meant "There is no legal requirement for a leisure boater to be insured (the way there is here with a car), and he thinks this is a good thing, and would like it to remain that way".
Old 10 December 2010, 08:34   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
English may be my first language, but my British is very poor.
I think you'll find that you mean "UK English" or "Standard English", as I like to think of it

It's what I write (I speak something completely different!) as opposed to your "US English".

Mmmmm, I love the smell of pedantry in the morning...
Old 10 December 2010, 08:57   #24

Town: Bury
Boat name: O' ALCHEMY
Make: Honwave 3.8 IE
Engine: Honda 15hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235905781
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsy View Post
I have a 2005 20hp yamaha 2 stroke, 49kg's, same as the 25hp unit they once sold in size and weight. Good engine, fuel usage is minimal....

Insurance for anything will not save you, stop an accident, save your kit or cost you less money. It will cost you more money, in the long run, but will act as a buffer reducing your liability to paying out large amounts of money in one go..... Insurance is not a legal for UK sea's ..... and long may it stay that way....
Thats assuming you don't have an accident or claim!!!

Of course there never are any accidents/incidents in this country is there.

Jake
Old 11 December 2010, 21:35   #25

Town: taunton
Make: zodiac
Engine: 10hp
as always with forum debates, they go well off the original topic (10 to 15hp upgrade...remember this) anyway, not that this is a problem as its often very interesting. the insurance thing should remain optional for small inflatables as the risks to third parties are very low. many of us transport the boat in the back of a vehicle, eliminating the towing risk, and grealtly reducing the theft risk (i transport mine in a vw t4 with tinted windows, so you cant see it in the van). the seas are not as busy as public roads and it is relatively easy to keep out of peoples way. buy insurance if you wish, but dont judge others for choosing not to take it out. that is why it is optional and not compulsary.

back to my original topic if i may for a while. my 10hp 4 stroke is relatively quiet, smooth and amazingly good on fuel. will the 2 stroke 15hp be noticeably different in respect to these points. looking foreward to all of your replies. thanks
Old 11 December 2010, 23:08   #26

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post

back to my original topic if i may for a while. my 10hp 4 stroke is relatively quiet, smooth and amazingly good on fuel. will the 2 stroke 15hp be noticeably different in respect to these points. looking foreward to all of your replies. thanks
I normally run my 3.5 sib with an 8hp 4 stroke, last year i ran it for a day at a sailing club event as a safety boat using a borrowed yamaha 2 stroke 15 hp from the club ,i expected the boat to perform a great deal better than it did , the fuel consumption was a great deal more ,,granted there were more people in the boat but the top speed was only a few knots more than with the 8.
Old 12 December 2010, 09:12   #27

Town: Bury
Boat name: O' ALCHEMY
Make: Honwave 3.8 IE
Engine: Honda 15hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235905781
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
as always with forum debates, they go well off the original topic (10 to 15hp upgrade...remember this) anyway, not that this is a problem as its often very interesting. the insurance thing should remain optional for small inflatables as the risks to third parties are very low. many of us transport the boat in the back of a vehicle, eliminating the towing risk, and grealtly reducing the theft risk (i transport mine in a vw t4 with tinted windows, so you cant see it in the van). the seas are not as busy as public roads and it is relatively easy to keep out of peoples way. buy insurance if you wish, but dont judge others for choosing not to take it out. that is why it is optional and not compulsary.

Hi there, debates are one of the reasons why this forum is great.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the insurance for boats but some thing that I would like to add for the purpose of clarity for all who carry the boat/engine in the car/van is that your car van insurance wont cover you for theft, damage or loss for the boat/engine or anything valuable in your car.

At the most you'll get is £250, in most cases much less.

Please read the small print everyone

Best wishes

Jake
Old 14 December 2010, 18:13   #28

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
,,granted there were more people in the boat but the top speed was only a few knots more than with the 8.
I think that's a very fundamental and important factor. The weight of extra people makes a huge difference in that size of boat. I bet if you had used your 8hp it would have been extremely sluggish.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote