Old 25 October 2020, 09:28   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Wobble Roller Spindles

The new-to-me Bramber trailer that our new boat is sitting on had corroded spindles for the wobble rollers and the rust had enlarged the wobble roller holes excessively. I thought I'd share a cheap renovation job I made on them and because they are now stainless, the job will never have to be done again!

The OEM spindles were zinc plated 22mm OD tube 275mm long with 3mm wall thickness retailing at £10 each plus vat and shipping and I needed eight.

I looked on eBay at the metal suppliers and found I could get enough 22mm thick wall (2mm) tube for £72 delivered and I would drill my own split pin holes. After a tip off about a local supplier I was able to get 4m of stainless tube with 2.6mm wall for just £40 cash. Now I'd got the price down to £5/spindle and I've got 1.8m of spare tube, enough to do 6 more.

On Screwfix I managed to find some 22mm nominal bore plastic pipe for £5 and I cut eight 40mm long bushes and the size was a perfect interference for the wobble roller holes making them like new again. Now I saved the cost of buying new rollers. They came with 1" stainless washers, 7/8" is the correct size but I decided to reuse them and I got some 5mm x 30mm stainless split pins and 6mm stainless nylock nuts & bolts to finish the job.

Hope this gives somebody the idea or motivation to do the same upgrade and save some money at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BramberWobbleRollerSpindle.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	135481  
Old 25 October 2020, 11:40   #2

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Nice work, cheap replacement, man after my own heart. I have sheds full of "I will keep that, just in case"