Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 October 2020, 16:50   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Jockey wheel splitting inner tubes

Salt water seems to be really harsh on butyl rubber. Maybe it's bad luck but I'm sick of inner tubes splitting and it always seems to be an an inopportune time. I'm so pleased the new trailer has a foam filled wheel but I can seem to locate one for the other trailer. Size 3.50/4.10x4.

Is it possible to buy a quality inner tube from somewhere? Maybe they make them out of neoprene or something more crack resistant than butyl? I always ensure they have the correct pressure.
Old 16 October 2020, 18:43   #2

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Loads of cheapish puncture proof wheelbarrow/launch trolley wheels on fleaBay if that’s what you’re after.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133376068217

Strangely not had pneumatic jockey wheels on any trailer we’ve had...just smaller dia. solid rubber jobbies.
Old 16 October 2020, 19:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Loads of cheapish puncture proof wheelbarrow/launch trolley wheels on fleaBay if that’s what you’re after.
They always have bearings which will rust.
However I checked again and found this one which has a plain 20mm bore
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260mm-10-...t/273301521165
Old 17 October 2020, 12:20   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Swap the whole assembly over I have a foam filled one but it gets flat spot if left for a while so I stick an axle stand under the neck also bought a twin pneumatic jockey wheel £40 so much easier to hand ball trailer about but incline of my drive popped both at once...... if you have a dip or incline is this happening to yours?
Old 17 October 2020, 16:33   #5

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
https://shop.caravanclub.co.uk/produ...t-jockey-wheel

This works really well on my twin axle caravan with a motor mover. Lloose gravel, tarmac, grass don't cause any problems. I'd also tend to think the nylon bearing would hold up well to salt water.
Old 17 October 2020, 17:33   #6

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Swap the whole assembly over I have a foam filled one but it gets flat spot if left for a while so I stick an axle stand under the neck also bought a twin pneumatic jockey wheel £40 so much easier to hand ball trailer about but incline of my drive popped both at once...... if you have a dip or incline is this happening to yours?
I have flat spotted a yellow one and a recent maypole red plastic one ,all with less than half the suposeed max hitch weight ,i have a black chunky one on a split rim which i have failed to flat spot even after the hot weather and in sun many hours but i cant find another ,on the tube front a friend of mine has run a trailer company for 50 years and he laughs at the heap of pneumatic jockey wheels he has in his workshop with split tubes ,he is waiting to get time to swap all the far eastern inner tubes for uk manufactured ones ,if i ask him for a jockey he throws me a wheel and charges me a fiver for a tube ,they dont tend to fail the same with a good tube in them .....if you mend a puncture in a cheap jockey ,then try and inflate outside of wheel it will not grow more than half inch dia without splitting in those good old days we used to take them swimming
Old 17 October 2020, 22:13   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Salt water seems to be really harsh on butyl rubber. Maybe it's bad luck but I'm sick of inner tubes splitting and it always seems to be an an inopportune time. I'm so pleased the new trailer has a foam filled wheel but I can seem to locate one for the other trailer. Size 3.50/4.10x4.

Is it possible to buy a quality inner tube from somewhere? Maybe they make them out of neoprene or something more crack resistant than butyl? I always ensure they have the correct pressure.

Are you sure it’s salt water and the rubber? Have to say I’ve never had an inner tube spilt. I did get a slow puncture in a previous jockey wheel and used some slime tyre repair stuff in it. Lasted for years after that - in fact I just replaced the whole assembly because the tyre was badly split* and the tube was showing through but still at a reasonable pressure!

* I’m not certain how it got split but I suspect that when moving boats around at the boatyard someone hasn’t raised the jockey properly and it’s been dragged across the ground. The mechanicals were pretty rusty (perhaps why not used properly) - hence replacing the whole lot rather than just the tyre or wheel.
Old 19 October 2020, 14:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Are you sure it’s salt water and the rubber? Have to say I’ve never had an inner tube split.
Maybe age related I don't know. Slight cracks on tyre sidewall as well and it's not all that old. I think it's just cheap and shoddy materials.

Tags
tubes