Old 21 February 2022, 08:57   #1

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
Vanclaes Trailers, Any Views?

Probably one of the more useful things at Boat Life in Birmingham yesterday, has anyone used one or had one of these trailers?

https://vanclaes.com/en/standard-boa...ers/c-384.html

Love the idea of the Gyro system but not sure I can justify the cost vs there roller system and the fact there is no light board to remove on launching really sells it to me on its own!

Why are the likes of Extreme and other uk manufactures not competing though?
Old 21 February 2022, 09:25   #2

Town: Dublin
Length: 5m +
I had one for a few years, without a shadow of a doubt the best trailer I ever had.
Old 21 February 2022, 10:31   #3

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
I think they are very good ,but be aware they are 304 stainless ,not 316 ,imho this is like buying a2 nuts and bolts from screwfix for your boat ,not a4 ,
many do it but not for the perfectionist ,you will be told it will stain not rust ! however i dont know the chemistry but it spoils the look .
After all that i have looked at them and spoke to them ,and yes i would buy one !
Old 21 February 2022, 13:28   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Vanclaes Trailers, Any Views?

Yup I have one & love it. Tows like a dream & is a doddle to launch & recover with the gyro system. It does stain, but “Stainless Steel” is a misnomer, ANY “stainless” will stain under the right circumstances, even 316L. The staining is light & easy to clean off with a scouter. The big selling point for me were the oil immersed bearings & disc brakes. I’d have happily gone for a non-stainless version with the bearings/brakes. The fact that it was stainless was a bonus. Paradoxically, stainless is much easier to repair (weld) than galvanised.
I’ve no idea what the pricing is like now, but I was an early adopter & had one of the first to be imported into the UK, our outfit is on the VanClaes website, so we got a good deal.

https://vanclaes.com/en/
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 14:59   #5

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Yup I have one & love it. Tows like a dream & is a doddle to launch & recover with the gyro system. It does stain, but “Stainless Steel” is a misnomer, ANY “stainless” will stain under the right circumstances, even 316L. The staining is light & easy to clean off with a scouter. The big selling point for me were the oil immersed bearings & disc brakes. I’d have happily gone for a non-stainless version with the bearings/brakes. The fact that it was stainless was a bonus. Paradoxically, stainless is much easier to repair (weld) than galvanised.
I’ve no idea what the pricing is like now, but I was an early adopter & had one of the first to be imported into the UK, our outfit is on the VanClaes website, so we got a good deal.

https://vanclaes.com/en/
... and I remain envious .... the prices are phenomenal now to get anywhere your spec. I had a trial build on their website and gave up when I saw the price increase at each option. I would agree with what you say about disc brakes ,,, if only !!!
Old 21 February 2022, 17:26   #6

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
I can echo Pikeys thoughts go full giro and oil filled hubs other wise stick to the normal trailers
Old 21 February 2022, 17:41   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Mick and Daves trailers do look the Dog's.....and I'm sure they are excellent
For the cost so they should be
Just to say I've had 3 Dixon Bate indespension over the years on different Boats...the last and present 4 wheeler is 2012 has bearings savers which I REALLY LIKE ...and pack with waterproof grease.
I've done many 1000's of miles all over with Many Many Dunks locally and MUCH further affield....with no issues at all.
With NO bearing changes! (All original) ....(I have and use flushing kits) and just one set of brake cables being replaced to now with Stainless

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2022, 16:47   #8

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
As said above the biggest asset is the axle with disc brakes and oil filled bearings. I have a 14 year old galvanised trailer and have recently fitted the same disc brake axle that Vanclaes use. Far superior and I’m sure will give me less maintenance trouble.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2022, 17:46   #9

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
As said above the biggest asset is the axle with disc brakes and oil filled bearings. I have a 14 year old galvanised trailer and have recently fitted the same disc brake axle that Vanclaes use. Far superior and I’m sure will give me less maintenance trouble.
How does the oil filled bearings work? Do they have a top up reservoir?

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 02 March 2022, 19:45   #10

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
How does the oil filled bearings work? Do they have a top up reservoir?

Yes there’s a screw plug to fill them from and a clear cap to see the level. I use the oil they put in the rear axel and Hydrolics of tractors
Old 02 March 2022, 22:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Yes there’s a screw plug to fill them from and a clear cap to see the level. I use the oil they put in the rear axel and Hydrolics of tractors
Wonder how much better they can be than greased bearings with bearing buddies, presumably just as susceptible to failed seals as any other bearings

Old 03 March 2022, 07:45   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Wonder how much better they can be than greased bearings with bearing buddies, presumably just as susceptible to failed seals as any other bearings

There’s only one oil seal/hub & it runs on a stainless journal pressed onto the stub axle. I’ve had 1 out of 4 fail in 7 years, and when I say “fail” I mean it developed a weep. I changed it out of caution. Not changed any bearings. You can see the outer bearing through the clear hub cap, so checking for water ingress is simples. The trailer has done some mileage, Croatia/Portugal twice/ France numerous times + all the usual UK stuff.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 03 March 2022, 11:36   #13

Quote:
There’s only one oil seal/hub & it runs on a stainless journal pressed onto the stub axle. I’ve had 1 out of 4 fail in 7 years, and when I say “fail” I mean it developed a weep. I changed it out of caution. Not changed any bearings. You can see the outer bearing through the clear hub cap, so checking for water ingress is simples. The trailer has done some mileage, Croatia/Portugal twice/ France numerous times + all the usual UK stuff.
Ahh that makes sense the stainless journal is the lifesaver I susspect the problem with most trailers is the shaft starts to rust & expand outside the seal eventually tearing the seal & allowing water ingress which probably goes unnoticed & just sits there doing its worst, most owners probably wont notice the grease coming out as it wont run & puddle like oil & probably only comes out when moving & warm
The clear visual viewing capacity will also make monitoring easier & addressing issues before they develop
The stainless sleeve is such a simple idea makes you wonder why more manufacturers dont do it

Old 03 March 2022, 17:12   #14

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
PD, do you submerge your axle when launching and recovering?
Old 03 March 2022, 17:55   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
PD, do you submerge your axle when launching and recovering?

Depends on the slip. If we’re at our “local” launch, Whitby, the rear axle is up to the mudguards & the front axle half way up the wheels. This means that all 4 brake assemblies are submerged & all 4 stub axles. I have no worries dunking the hubs.