Old 14 November 2016, 16:22   #21

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber View Post
The Seat Ateca or the new VW Tiguan, both the same car. Can tow 1600 to 2500kg.
Unbraked ? That's the important one and surprisingly low on some cars not sure why.....
Old 14 November 2016, 16:23   #22

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Skoda Yeti, you'd actually get "4X4" and decent towing capacity (2000kg) well within the budget.
I'm not a fan but there's no arguing with the figures.
Old 14 November 2016, 16:33   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Skoda Yeti, you'd actually get "4X4" and decent towing capacity (2000kg) well within the budget.
I'm not a fan but there's no arguing with the figures.
I'll have a look at the BIK rates.

But parked Near one today and it looks like a bad van...... Something I am keen to get away from.......
Old 14 November 2016, 16:35   #24

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Skoda Yeti[emoji106]
X2 Great little Cars with a real good rep ....and resale!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2016, 16:57   #25

Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Engine: suzuki 140hp
are we really talking about looks on a car? For me boats and cars are the same. I dont care about how much the mrs hates its looks as she can look at me if she wants that! so function over form every time!

Dave
Old 14 November 2016, 17:11   #26

23% on the fwd (not good) 26% on the 4x4 which is good but 4x4 is less important.

Function over form has to be a van every time........ Last thing I want I'm afraid
Old 14 November 2016, 17:36   #27

Quote:
I've got a Volvo XC90, same as Xk59D but I love mine.
If it's rubbish you're looking for it has to be Mercedes., got the T shirt, the bills, the heartache, the bus tickets and sight problems from the endless warning lights that only "Mercedes" can put out for you. Volvo....never missed a beat, nothing, absolutely nothing (not even a light bulb) has gone wrong since I got it.
just to clarify this as i don't want to put OP off a volvo with my comments. i only don't like mine as it feels like 1970 when i open the door. i have a few niggles with mine but that is mostly Arnold Clark issues and them being useless.

what i will say is volvo is quite expensive for what you get in it if you like toys.

what about an xtrail? miss mine soooooo much.
Old 14 November 2016, 18:01   #28

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
If you can get cash allowance do you have to buy new?
Options open right up if you can buy a 1-2 yr old car. You can also fill in a self assessment in at the end of the tax year and claim some back for using your own car for work.
Old 14 November 2016, 18:37   #29

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
just to clarify this as i don't want to put OP off a volvo with my comments. i only don't like mine as it feels like 1970 when i open the door. i have a few niggles with mine but that is mostly Arnold Clark issues and them being useless.

what i will say is volvo is quite expensive for what you get in it if you like toys.

what about an xtrail? miss mine soooooo much.

They don't get called Arnold SHARK for no reason !!!
Old 14 November 2016, 19:15   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem View Post
If you can get cash allowance do you have to buy new?
Options open right up if you can buy a 1-2 yr old car. You can also fill in a self assessment in at the end of the tax year and claim some back for using your own car for work.
I need to find out but currently the company car option looks good I need to
Find out more about the allowance but it doesn't look like I can as nice a car for similar money without going into a mileage limited pcp deal
Old 14 November 2016, 20:50   #31

Town: Winchburgh west Lothian
Boat name: Papa Bear V1
Make: Humber 5.3 Ataque
Length: 5m +
Engine: 40 Mercury four stro
RIBase
[QUOTE=Xk59D;734826]Whilst I don't like my volvo xc90 you are having a laugh if you think seat and volvo are in the same class bracket surely.

For the record I would have a seat, but I understand some want the full fat VW or an audi.[/QUOTE

My mate is the workshop foreman technician for an Edinburgh Volvo dealer and he has told me on numerous occasions that Volvos are now crap,why do you think the police and emergency services have went to Skoda.............
Seat won the British and World Touring cars 3yrs on the trot left Volvo in their wake,oh and the Seat Leon's were diesels lol.
Old 14 November 2016, 21:02   #32

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
If it were me I'd opt for Volvo V40 cross country. The Nav Plus option adds in cruise control, rear parking sensors, Sat-Nav and improved sound system. Cross Country specification is for the most part cosmetic, different alloys, front and rear valance, etc.

I've driven a V50 1.6 DRIVe (LUX pack) before and can honestly say it's one of the most comfortable cars I've driven with zero faults.

More details on BIK calculations here: Car Tax Calculator | Company Car Tax Calculator, Car tax calculator for Cars | Fleet News
Old 14 November 2016, 21:11   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb779 View Post

My mate is the workshop foreman technician for an Edinburgh Volvo dealer and he has told me on numerous occasions that Volvos are now crap,why do you think the police and emergency services have went to Skoda.............
Seat won the British and World Touring cars 3yrs on the trot left Volvo in their wake,oh and the Seat Leon's were diesels lol.
My mate works at VW dealer and always tells me how crap they are, if you only fix vw all day long then you will think they are all crap.

Another mate works at ford.....guess what? Says the same thing but about ford! Can't win dude.

Not seen many skoda police cars nor ambulance around here (nor volvos), don't doubt they might be about though but not large numbers down here. Different NHS trusts may have different cars though. Police normally have ford, vauxhall or bmw here but I can believe other parts are different as I assume they have similar regional funding to the NHS. ...or maybe they just keep the drug dealer motors

However, I do know why a lot of taxis round here drive skoda, it wasn't reliability as impossible to know that for a long time, it is they get paid from skoda when they are off the road so it is a guaranteed wage for drivers......great idea to get people into them. Although I'm sure they are reliable too!

Volvo won plenty of touring champs, not sure what your point is? Mercedes make the best car on planet in the f1 team so should we get a merc?
Old 14 November 2016, 21:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
If it were me I'd opt for Volvo V40 cross country. The Nav Plus option adds in cruise control, rear parking sensors, Sat-Nav and improved sound system. Cross Country specification is for the most part cosmetic, different alloys, front and rear valance, etc.
Wife's got one...V40 Cross Country. Solid, well built, faultless car with almost unbelievable fuel economy but nothing very "Cross Country" about it.

Regards car allowance versus company car, I changed (after 28years) from a company car to my own company allowance financed car. The Rover 75 was replaced with a V8 XJ8 and then a Range Rover.....do think I missed my company car
Old 15 November 2016, 07:20   #35

Quote:
Wife's got one...V40 Cross Country. Solid, well built, faultless car with almost unbelievable fuel economy but nothing very "Cross Country" about it.

Regards car allowance versus company car, I changed (after 28years) from a company car to my own company allowance financed car. The Rover 75 was replaced with a V8 XJ8 and then a Range Rover.....do think I missed my company car

It's a tough one and first company car for me, I need to find out what the nuts and bolts are before I decide as I don't start for a few weeks I can do a bit of digging on the limits etc.

SWMBO is very much take the car until things are settled and I know annual mileages etc
Old 15 November 2016, 08:18   #36

Town: Southampton
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Car choice is very subjective, as you can see from reading through this. The only brand I've never had a bad experience with or heard of is Lexus, but you pay the price for that!

Ultimately, go with what suits your mix of style & budget, which I'm sure you will

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
SWMBO is very much take the car until things are settled and I know annual mileages etc
I would disagree with this; again you need to check the company rules. In my experience, once you've taken the car you're usually tied in for a long time (for example 60,000+ miles or 3+ years). In contrast, if you take the allowance I've always found you can switch to a car at relatively short notice
Old 15 November 2016, 08:54   #37

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIRPT View Post
Car choice is very subjective, as you can see from reading through this. The only brand I've never had a bad experience with or heard of is Lexus, but you pay the price for that!

Ultimately, go with what suits your mix of style & budget, which I'm sure you will

I would disagree with this; again you need to check the company rules. In my experience, once you've taken the car you're usually tied in for a long time (for example 60,000+ miles or 3+ years). In contrast, if you take the allowance I've always found you can switch to a car at relatively short notice

Most of the people that I know, that have the choice of company car or allowance, go for the allowance & are happy with it.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2016, 15:48   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIRPT View Post
The only brand I've never had a bad experience with or heard of is Lexus, but you pay the price for that!
Friend's Lexus....heard a noise and pulled over into a layby. Just before he came to a stand still all the spokes of one of the alloys broke off and the car crashed down onto the road doing a fair amount of damage. On inspection, cracks were found in the spokes of the other three wheels and the price of parts was outrageous, front brake calliper (seized) £250 .
The Jaguar was pretty good 40-120K miles over three years, less than £1000 in total for servicing. Only failures, two ignition coil packs and a heater water pump. The Range Rover was like a petulant child, always demanding attention but parts were dirt cheap, dead easy to work on and to be fair, even running it up to 155,000mls never let me down.
Old 15 November 2016, 16:19   #39
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Just a quick one are the new company & car supplier (lease company etc) happy for you to have a tow bar on the car if it's not required for your job?
Old 15 November 2016, 22:17   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Just a quick one are the new company & car supplier (lease company etc) happy for you to have a tow bar on the car if it's not required for your job?
The car will be company owned and not leased I don't see why not but I may need to pay for the towbar.

The. Budget isn't as good as I hoped and is more £19k for a nearly new car from a dealer the suggestion is Audi bmw merc or ford.

If I take the car I get a pool car for 3 months (until probation is over, so they say...) if I take the allowance I think that's that, i still don't know exactly how the fuel situation works if not a company car.