New one is lovely and was my 2nd choice after the xc60
Old 02 September 2017, 22:11   #122

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I should have added Rav4 to the list, and the CX5 seems good....thinking I prefer the higher clearance of SUV v. to a traditonal car.

Need to do do some test drives. The advantage is I can wait for a good deal, I don't need to change immediately and can walk away & come back. Will keep updated as I do a number od trest drives & review specs/ data.
Old 03 September 2017, 07:15   #123

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
If you're going "auto" I'd make sure it has a proper hydraulic torque converter type autobox and not one of the dry-clutch auto-select types that Volkswagen /Audi built for a while. (I believe Audi has dumped them and and went back to TC)
The give away is the relatively poor (rather than better) towing capacity the car has with it's comparable manual variant.
Old 03 September 2017, 09:23   #124

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Small SUV tow car company car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
If you're going "auto" I'd make sure it has a proper hydraulic torque converter type autobox and not one of the dry-clutch auto-select types that Volkswagen /Audi built for a while. (I believe Audi has dumped them and and went back to TC)
The give away is the relatively poor (rather than better) towing capacity the car has with it's comparable manual variant.

Not sure I'd agree with you there. I have both T5 & T6 Transporters with DSG auto, the towing capacity of both is 2500kg, same as the manual variant. I've just done 3500miles with the T6 towing BP (1900kg) around Europe & the thing is "nearly" as good as the Disco4. We have climbed some serious mountain passes in Austria & Italy & it never missed a beat or struggled. It romped up the Loiblpass although my legs were a tad wobbly when we got out at the top[emoji15]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loibl_Pass
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2017, 09:37   #125

Town: Cambridge
Make: Bombard DB 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90HP carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
If you're going "auto" I'd make sure it has a proper hydraulic torque converter type autobox and not one of the dry-clutch auto-select types that Volkswagen /Audi built for a while.
There are both dry-clutch and wet-clutch versions of DSG (and Powershift) gearboxes. I'd stay clear of dry-clutch, but there should be no problems towing without a wet clutch.
Old 19 October 2017, 06:44   #126

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
So, shortlisted down to Outlander, Kodiak, CX5, Forrester.

Subaru garage miles away and in the end boot with rear seats up comparatively small
Outlander OK but nothing when I drove it nothing screamed "buy me" did not want 7 seats.
CX5 significantly more expensive than others also smaller inside and in the boot.felt a bit claustrophobic and cramped to me.
Loved the Kodiak, lots of space, massive boot and gkod underfloor storage, feels light and roomy, and can go onto 20k service routine as most of my mileage is ditance motorWay work 25k milesp.a. also umbrellas in front doors!

So have gone for Kodiak 2.0D 4x4 manual 5 seat SE,with aded extra of reversing camera which will help hitching up solo. Prices was good compared to others. AllI ned to do now is wait for it! - oh yes and pay for it!
Old 19 October 2017, 08:57   #127

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
So, shortlisted down to Outlander, Kodiak, CX5, Forrester.

Subaru garage miles away and in the end boot with rear seats up comparatively small
Outlander OK but nothing when I drove it nothing screamed "buy me" did not want 7 seats.
CX5 significantly more expensive than others also smaller inside and in the boot.felt a bit claustrophobic and cramped to me.
Loved the Kodiak, lots of space, massive boot and gkod underfloor storage, feels light and roomy, and can go onto 20k service routine as most of my mileage is ditance motorWay work 25k milesp.a. also umbrellas in front doors!

So have gone for Kodiak 2.0D 4x4 manual 5 seat SE,with aded extra of reversing camera which will help hitching up solo. Prices was good compared to others. AllI ned to do now is wait for it! - oh yes and pay for it!

I'd be interested to see how you get on with the Kodiak. We downsized from a D4 to a Yeti & I was very unsure if we had made the right decision.... absolutely love the Yeti! The Kodiak wasn't around when we changed, but would have been on the list had it been.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 19 October 2017, 12:00   #128
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I'd be interested to see how you get on with the Kodiak. We downsized from a D4 to a Yeti & I was very unsure if we had made the right decision.... absolutely love the Yeti! The Kodiak wasn't around when we changed, but would have been on the list had it been.
I've also been watching the Kodiak with interest (and had essentially decided that would be the replacement when the time comes), and then Skoda went and launched the Karoq... just to confuse me.
Old 19 October 2017, 12:07   #129

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I've also been watching the Kodiak with interest (and had essentially decided that would be the replacement when the time comes), and then Skoda went and launched the Karoq... just to confuse me.

The Karoq (wtf dreamed that one up? What was wrong with the iconic Yeti ffs, anyway I digress) is built around the Seat Alteca/VW Tiguan. The Kodiak is a fair bit bigger & is a 7 seater. The Yeti is fine for a couple, but I think it would be too small for a family, the boot is pretty small. If we were looking for a primary family bus, it would be the Kodiak.
Old 19 October 2017, 14:40   #130
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
The Karoq (wtf dreamed that one up?
Karoq...seems to be a made up word (at least in English) - that makes it excellent for search engine optimisation... Compared to Yeti which has a whole load of other searching going on, and even Kodiak
Quote:
What was wrong with the iconic Yeti ffs, anyway I digress)
its not exactly a looker is it?
Quote:
The Yeti is fine for a couple, but I think it would be too small for a family,
perfect - I'll have an excuse to leave them behind - they keep growing and needing more kit anyway. I'm 4 knots slower with them all aboard!
Quote:
If we were looking for a primary family bus, it would be the Kodiak.
Ah, the sensible option it may be... The karoq might have left more in the pot for a boat upgrade though!
Old 19 October 2017, 14:43   #131

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:

What engine and gearbox combination did you get Pikey?
Old 19 October 2017, 15:14   #132

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

its not exactly a looker is it?

I was referring to the name rather than its looks, saying that, I like the boxy purposeful shape, like the D4 in many ways. Can't say the same for the hideous jelly mould replacement for the beloved D4 though🤢
Old 19 October 2017, 15:15   #133

RIBase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
What engine and gearbox combination did you get Pikey?

150ps diesel DSG 4wd
Old 19 October 2017, 16:59   #134

Town: Redditch
Boat name: Hydra
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: TWINS
I was interested in the Kodak, but went for the Tiguan rline 4x4 dsg 190hp. Really pleased with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1508432375.464361.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	122412
Old 19 October 2017, 19:30   #135

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiegolf View Post
I was interested in the Kodak, but went for the Tiguan rline 4x4 dsg 190hp. Really pleased with it. Attachment 122412
don't these things only have 1400-1500kg towing limits though my 2014 caddy maxi 2.0tdi 4 motion only has a limit of 1400 kg . towing my warrior with Suzuki df80 and fuel/anchor chain etc on a sbs trailer comes in at 1200kg or there abouts throw in me my Mrs. and a 50kg dog and there's no room for luggage
the caddys remapped to 212bhp with 425 nm of torques and its no good but my ford ranger is only 141bhp and mid 200 torques and can tow 3000 kg where's the sense
Old 19 October 2017, 19:38   #136

Power has literally nothing to do with towing ability in terms of legislation. I read how they rate towing capacity a while ago and it was something like the car has to pull x kg up a steep controlled hill 6x in 5 mins and the point where it fails is the capacity, that is assuming not lower due to chassis limits. I assume on most manuals the clutch packs in with the heat with this type of test and the auto box starts to slip. Never could find out anymore but be happy to find out if anyone knows

The Kodiaq is capable of 2600kg I think I read for the top model, got my eye on that one myself as I need 2200kg ish.
Old 19 October 2017, 20:21   #137

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Autos seem to fair Better these days than manuals for towing the XC60 D4 manual is plenty for me 1800kg but D4 auto AWD has higher towing capacity 2000kg still not a lot for a big car lol

Some are only 1600kg but a mondeo can tow more ������
Old 19 October 2017, 20:28   #138

RIBase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Power has literally nothing to do with towing ability in terms of legislation. I read how they rate towing capacity a while ago and it was something like the car has to pull x kg up a steep controlled hill 6x in 5 mins and the point where it fails is the capacity, that is assuming not lower due to chassis limits. I assume on most manuals the clutch packs in with the heat with this type of test and the auto box starts to slip. Never could find out anymore but be happy to find out if anyone knows

The Kodiaq is capable of 2600kg I think I read for the top model, got my eye on that one myself as I need 2200kg ish.

Afaik, (I'm willing to stand corrected) the towing capacity is what the vehicle can pull from a standing start up a 12.5% slope
Old 19 October 2017, 20:47   #139

My Tiguan can tow 2440 with my spec.
Old 19 October 2017, 20:50   #140

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2834.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	122413
And it didn’t slow down when hitting telegraph hill with the caravan on the back.