Old 14 June 2020, 19:13   #1

Town: Leicestershire
Boat name: Bathtub
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150
if only I had a longer one!

So I'm about to change my car. I currently have a 2008 A6 allroad which pulls the twin axle brendrupp trailer and 6.3m ocean-pro like a dream, but it's about to turn 300,000 miles as I use it every day for work and do a LOT of miles.

This rules out discos and other "proper" 4 x 4 slipway vehicles as the repair bills on a a 300,000 mile disco does not bear thinking about

I'm about to replace it with a used 2012 Audi A8 (4.2tdi) and I RECKON, to keep the back-end out of the brine, I'm wanting an extending draw bar to attach between the trailer and the car when reversing down the slip.

Anyone used one or have any thoughts?

I Never launch from a beach. I tow the boat everywhere (at least 2-3 hours to the coast).

.. or is my heart ruling my head and I should stick with an allroad type vehicle?

Any thoughts?
Old 14 June 2020, 19:35   #2

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
I've got an 2013 A6 Allroad. It does towing duties and general long distance driving both very well. I only intended to keep it for a year but its cost me nothing to run in 4 years other than standard servicing and a single set of tyres which seem to last forever so I'm happy to keep it. Its the 245ps 3.0tdi. Seems quite a good engine.
Old 14 June 2020, 19:37   #3

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
I wouldn't advise getting any modern car wet and salty, so many electronic sensors. My local slipway is flat so I have to unhitch the trailer and use a rope to recover the rib if I'm alone.
Old 14 June 2020, 20:23   #4

Yep, diver1, brilliant car for towing. Brilliant for eating miles. Buckets of power. raising the height is good for launching.

Best all round car I’ve ever owned.

2013’s now going for less 10-12k

Your views on the electronics is exactly why I’m looking for views on an extension bar..

...All that salt water and all those expensive metal bits!

Having said that I’ve never had a problem with the water lapping round the exhaust and wheels of the a6... but it can’t be good!
Old 14 June 2020, 20:23   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Odd choice, going from an Avant to a saloon and being able to fold down rear seats. The A6 has air suspension and so does the A8. Facebook forum has nothing but gripes about the running costs, granted it was the original C5 Allroad, but something to be aware of. A8 was always seen as an executive cruiser.

If you're sticking with Audi get yourself a copy of VCDS. An Audi A8 4.2 litre will have more sensors than something from NASA. Good for servicing, problem solving and resets. Handbrake is electronic, so keep it out of the wet stuff.

I'm running a 2012 A4 2.0TDI Allroad, aka small-road. Coil springs. If I could choose again, I'd opt for 3.0TDI set up. Great tow cars.

What about staying with newer A6?
Old 14 June 2020, 20:25   #6

The A6 is the sensible choice
Old 15 June 2020, 02:16   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
We have a lot of surge at our launch ramps in California. First time I saw a trailer tongue extension it was on a 15 foot Boston Whaler. After the rear of my vehicle met the Pacific Ocean, I decided to build one, and mount it to the trailer for storage. IT WORKED! Never again had an issue with the tow vehicle and salt water.

However the tubing I used was under spec a little as it was something I had laying around my garage already, so it would bow a little, but that never caused an issue, although there was bounce, so speed was kept really slow. Should have used 1.75" DOM roll cage tubing I have laying around. An aluminum beam would be ideal. Wasn't really concerned with rust on it, so I used paid for steel. Making the mount was pretty simple but did require welding. Found the perfect storage spot extending from near the front of the trailer to midway on the trailer, for a smaller 4.2 meter boat, but the length was somewhere around 10 ft (3+ meters), which is about max length. The tongue weight is going to be everything for engineering it. How it mounted was super simple as it was a square tubing, that fit in a box, then used the ball mount on the front of the trailer to attach forward. Since it had a ball mount at the front of the extension to connect to the vehicle, it was easy enough to store it, with a box mounted to the trailer, and a spare trailer hitch ball mounted to the front of the trailer. Gave me a spare hitch ball too! The downfall was it was LOUD! Didn't hear it much from the tow vehicle, but it rattled and when passing a building it could be heard. Remade the rear mount with some padding inside to quiet it up.
Old 17 June 2020, 03:03   #8

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
I built my own trailer with an extendable draw bar. I don't use it for launching but it certainly helps with retrieving. And, of course I don't have to back my car in as far.

My first design had the winch slide down with the trailer. Pretty stupid as I had to wade out to wind the boat in. So I modified it and attached the winch to the part that stays with the car.

I winch it up at the ramp and then drive to the de-rigging area to retract the draw bar.

You need a section of chain to attach the safety chain to the boat in case the winch gives way, on the way to the de-rigging area.