RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Nova Scotia

I and Steinunn we have been driving the coastline from Halifax to Digby last three days been into countless ports and seen no pleasure boats and less than handfull of RIBs. Saw one Valiant in Lunenburg and went to Tiverton on Long Island, was hoping to pop in on Tiverton Tom (on here) but all closed and front of his office where two RIBs Avon Adventure most likely 6.2 and one aluminium rib (will post pictures here when sorted out).

Tonight we are staying in Digby and again no RIBs but handfull of pleasure boats.

One thing we have seen to much off those days are FOG and sea is totally flat so it is misreable not been able to run on the water.

Further exploring Nova Scotia tomorrow and hope to see more of pleasure boats.

One thing amazes me a lot, there are no SAR stations at all in any ports so no wonder we see fishermans memorials all over the place.

Bogi
Old 26 June 2009, 02:49   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Interesting, hopefully someone with better knowledge than me will be able to add some info about how SAR services are organized in the maritme provinces. How long will you be in Canada? What areas will you be seeing? Please keep us posted as you tour the region.
Old 26 June 2009, 10:37   #3
RIBnet supporter

As said I am very surprise not to see any trace of SAR stations apart from Halifax where I saw the Coast Guard vessels, but long way to go to Peggys Cove where we just arrived after one accident, but that did not need Coast Guard when lady fell in the water but was rescued by local employee of restaurant.

Today we are heading for Windsor.

And watching out the bay from our hotel room, the sea is dead calm and I want to go out boating, high speed burning fuel would be great, not to mention the fuel here is so cheap CAD 112,5

Bogi
Old 26 June 2009, 14:10   #4

$ 1.12/ liter (CAD) is cheap? Go west, young man!
Old 26 June 2009, 15:25   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Don't go too far west; gas in California is above the national average by about $.50US/gal.

jky
Old 27 June 2009, 00:11   #6
RIBnet supporter

We are now in New Glasgow, and filled up the tank for CAD 1,075 pr. ltr and to me it is very cheap compare to home.

Spoke to the hotel owner this morning regarding SAR and in Digby there are one "high speed SAR boat" and its speed is around 20-25 MPH but mainly they rely on helicopter rescue from the Merlinīs (Canadian SAR version of EH-101 (Westland-Agusta joint venture) triple turbine helicopter from Greenwood (in this case 40 km away). Very expensive operation to run, I must say.

Bogi
Old 27 June 2009, 03:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogib View Post
...mainly they rely on helicopter rescue from the Merlinīs (Canadian SAR version of EH-101 (Westland-Agusta joint venture) triple turbine helicopter from Greenwood (in this case 40 km away). Very expensive operation to run, I must say.

Bogi

A huge area to cover with low population density. Aircraft tend to be relied on heavily.
Old 06 July 2009, 02:17   #8

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
We over-heard a call on Friday night... Our cutter in Tobermory was dispatched to aid some drunk yachty-type that fell out of his boat and bonked his head... Minor cut according to the CG radio, but his Missus was concerned as the two of them were alone...

So off goes our cutter... departing at midnight for a 60 mile (one way) jaunt to put a bandaid on this guy.

Almost two hours later, we hear the "stand-down" call (apparently he had sobered up enough to decide he was fine) and back they came... I have no idea what the fuel consumption is on a 48' MLB, plus a crew of 4...

I think I'd have been tempted to carry on just to present the dude with a bill....

None the less, our's in the closest CG station... a helo probably would have made more sense, but then the nearest helo-station is probably 300 miles away.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 01:29   #9
RIBnet supporter

For those of you having Facebook account should be able to see my Nova Scotia pictures on following link.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/a...&id=1071078577

Bogi