Old 26 December 2022, 21:32   #1

Town: NYC
Tablet for GPS-ChartPlotting?

Does anyone use a tablet for GPS and/or chartplotting? What is your experience, tablet brand, App. , mounting bracket, size screen, deal with sun glare etc. Thanks!!
Old 27 December 2022, 01:09   #2

Town: San Diego
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard, Diesel
I’m in California and I use both navionics and iSailor on an iPad Pro that is about 4-5 years old. It has internal GPS so it works without Wi-Fi or cellular. I need to be on Wi-Fi or cellular to update the maps, but it has zero effect on the programs while out on the water.

Both are cheap and they work amazing. You can set you’re course/waypoints and just follow the directions - similar to maps in a car.

Way cheaper than an installed system in the boat. Also, you can use the apps on an android or iPhone as well.

Lastly, many people only have a system hard mounted to the boat. What happens when that breaks? It’s good to have a back up…
Old 27 December 2022, 18:26   #3

Town: NYC
Comments appreciated. What size ipad pro or do they only make 1 size? I like the installed GPS over the wifi for sure. Do you have the tablet in a waterproof case and brand? What about vibration/ shockproof case? How do you have this mounted, pictures? Attached is a picture of my console/dash. The compass and the Garmin Striker mounting plate can be moved. I want to use this new set up between the RIB and a 19' sailboat I'm refurbishing to have ready this spring. TIA!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2064.aa.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	141954  
Old 27 December 2022, 22:27   #4

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
I used to use an ipad mini with Navionics on my rib. It was OK, and yes, cheaper than a built in unit, but the main problem was daylight readability. In the sun it was hard to see. Also you only have touchscreen controls, which are impossible to use at speed in a rib. Also you have to take it off when you leave the boat. I Eventually fitted a 9 inch Garmin, and it is really much better. As for a back up, I have Navionics on my iphone if the fixed unit ever goes down.

Just to add though that I also charter sailing boats in the Med, and I consistently find an ipad with Navionics is better than the chartplotters built in.
Old 28 December 2022, 02:57   #5

Really, any tablet with built in GPS will work. It’s doesn’t have to be an iPad. That’s just what I use. The case is from catalyst. It’s a waterproof/mil-spec case. I love the setup.

For the mount, I use the scanstrut system. I’ve got a variety of mounts and holders for the tablet and a phone.

Installing a hard mounted system is awesome. But I already had the iPad and the software was cheap compared to purchasing a built in. I also regularly move around between 5-6 boats. I can also jump onto anyone’s boat and not have to worry about what system they have on board. I’ll always have mine at the ready and for me that’s worth it.
Old 28 December 2022, 03:00   #6

Check this out…

West marine has 14 of these cases in stock on clearance for $24

I paid $119 for it on Amazon last year…

https://www.westmarine.com/catalyst-...-18044347.html