Old 31 May 2004, 21:18   #1

Town: Lochgilphead
Boat name: Rannsachair
Make: Shetland Alaska
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50 and F4
Simrad Chartplotter Woes

After 3 years 11 months service my Simrad CE30 has died: it powers up but nothing on the screen - I do remember some slight misting of the screen over the last year - so suspect a little water has got in!

Can anyone advise whether it is worth trying to get it fixed - has anyone any experience of Simrad Service? is it quick - my summer fortnights holiday starts in 3 weeks.

I returned the unit under warranty when it was one year old and I seem to remember it was over a month before I got it returned from Simrad.

Thanks.
Old 02 June 2004, 09:07   #2

Town: Cork
Boat name: Iago
Make: Cobra
Length: 5.8
Engine: Mariner 90 4-stroke
Considering how much chartplotters cost these days, it seems pretty worthwhile getting it fixed or at least giving it a go.

You say it powers up...obviously it goes through some startup sequence that you recognise, be it a beep, or the key lights come on or something along those lines.

Generally speaking it's likely to be something small. If you suspect moisture, open it up and examine it. The circuit board should have some kind of protective material on it, generally a varnish...check this is intact and there are no rust spots. Clean any rust if present. Leave it open overnight in a warm place, and come back to it and re-try. Lift and re-seat any removable connections. If it were me, I'd take an eyeglass to the circuit board, especially around the connection between the display unit and the main board. Chances are you have either a damaged connection or a solder joint that has cracked over time. When you consider the pounding these things take, it's not surprising. Car stereos suffer from similar problems.

Solder problems will show as either hairline cracks between a pin and the glob of solder, or the track having broken or lifted. Check everything.

Beyond this, all I can suggest is to pass it to Simrad themselves.
Old 02 June 2004, 18:34   #3

Thanks Mosser,

Yes it beeps, and the backlight functions.

I opened it up and could see no sign of corrosion appart from a fastener on the C map cartridge tray. I tried pulling all the plugs and re-connecting to no avail. I had left it open in the house for a couple of days to dry out any moisture.

I phoned Simrad yesterday: they will examine it and advise cost of repair: though if the screen has packed in it may cost around £200 plus VAT for screen and labour.

My confidence in Simrad gear is not too good: my Simrad/Navico radio failed earlier this year and the chartplotter was returned once already under warranty.
Old 05 June 2004, 19:54   #4

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Craka Daux
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
Send a message via MSN to nick wood
Simrad Chartplotters

I had the same problem on my with my simrad on the flybridge of my fairline, it will power up but the screen will just pulse with black lines, sent it back to simrad who then charged me for a new one as they said it was usless my new one has just packed up again tell you anything? i will pm you with any more details if you want them.

Nick
Old 05 June 2004, 21:56   #5

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
We went through 7 service exchange Simrad VHF's in 18 months on the ship I work on before giving up and buying Sailors. I don't rate Simrad at all.

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2004, 22:06   #6

Simrad Chartplotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannsachair

Can anyone advise whether it is worth trying to get it fixed - has anyone any experience of Simrad Service? is it quick - my summer fortnights holiday starts in 3 weeks.
Have you had any joy with Simrad?
Old 11 June 2004, 07:15   #7

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Quote:
Can anyone advise whether it is worth trying to get it fixed - has anyone any experience of Simrad Service
What a difference it can be between countries.
In Sweden Simrad are great in service etc (Simrad is also distributor for Lowrance in Sweden)
I been having some probs with the gps antenna and i just send them to Simrad and in a couple of days i have a new on the post.
They have a very good reputation in Sweden.
Hope it will be better for you in the UK.
Old 11 June 2004, 16:17   #8

Simrad in the UK are not quite so helpful.

I called them on Tuesday last week explaining my situation and was advised that they would look at it for me promptly and if repairable should be able to turn it around within 2 weeks and if it was not they would offer a new unit at discount.

The chartplotter arrived with them last Thursday, I phoned them on Monday and explained again that I was going on holiday and really needed a prompt reply as to whether it would be repairable and was advised someone would look at it and call me back Tuesday.

I phone them Tuesday afternoon and am told someone should be looking at it and they will call me back - they don't - I call them back and leave a message on their answer machine at 4:55 pm - No answer.

I phone them Wednesday mid-morning and am advised that they will call me back.

They call me back and leave a message on my answer machine to advise that someone will look at it and they will call me back tomorrow.

I phone them back and explain that I have lost confidence in them calling me back or ever returning the unit on time, so I suggest they scrap it.

I am just waiting on my new Raymarine plotter to arrive!
Old 11 June 2004, 21:11   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Don't scrap it - sell it for "spare's or repairs" on ebay - it'll fetch a few quid!
Old 11 June 2004, 22:01   #10

Simrad Chartplotters

they did the same here gave a discount on a new unit but that just packed up, they are finaly sending some one over next week but you now we will see, Im never having simrad on any other boat! you must get some thing back for your unit like timofengland said. they will be rubbing there hands together otherwise.