Click Here to Login

Old 03 April 2022, 19:41   #1

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
NMEA 2000 with yamaha backbone in place

Hi all ,trying to install a nmea 2000 network on my yam 115 powered boat which has yam backbone system
few notes
1.I have installed succesfully 2k to my honda already with honda genuine leads and garmin starter kit
2. Reason is i have a shortage of console area and i have parts from other projects
3. The yam is 2011 and has the electronic circular gauges x2 "tach" and "speed and fuel" all functions working and the backbone system in the engine area and
back of console.
4.I am trying and have tried today (thrown together temporary) to group Garmin gpsmap 750 with no sonar and Garmin 451s (with sonar but much smaller)
5. I have used Garmin nmea 2000 starter kit ,a second Honda engine lead i had from before ,which plugs directly into the bus connection on the yam backbone to the 5 pin network connection
6. From the set up i got all engine data on both garmins as hoped ! fuel consumption and tank info ,perfect
7. what I didnt get was basically any chat between the two garmins with the exception of maybe a temperature reading on the 750 which the sender is on the 451s ,but no sign of depth on the 750 athough i was only in the back garden the 451s was showing 48 ft

??? is this my lot ? or are there more setting up parameters or wiring
variations ??

Is someone going to tell me the yam system is nmea 2000 ,i hooked onto a plug titled "BUS" there are others that are labelled "DEVICE"
Old 03 April 2022, 19:51   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Hi all ,trying to install a nmea 2000 network on my yam 115 powered boat which has yam backbone system

few notes

1.I have installed succesfully 2k to my honda already with honda genuine leads and garmin starter kit

2. Reason is i have a shortage of console area and i have parts from other projects

3. The yam is 2011 and has the electronic circular gauges x2 "tach" and "speed and fuel" all functions working and the backbone system in the engine area and

back of console.

4.I am trying and have tried today (thrown together temporary) to group Garmin gpsmap 750 with no sonar and Garmin 451s (with sonar but much smaller)

5. I have used Garmin nmea 2000 starter kit ,a second Honda engine lead i had from before ,which plugs directly into the bus connection on the yam backbone to the 5 pin network connection

6. From the set up i got all engine data on both garmins as hoped ! fuel consumption and tank info ,perfect

7. what I didnt get was basically any chat between the two garmins with the exception of maybe a temperature reading on the 750 which the sender is on the 451s ,but no sign of depth on the 750 athough i was only in the back garden the 451s was showing 48 ft

??? is this my lot ? or are there more setting up parameters or wiring

variations ??

Is someone going to tell me the yam system is nmea 2000 ,i hooked onto a plug titled "BUS" there are others that are labelled "DEVICE"

Do you have a photo of what you have, specifically the backbone ?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2022, 20:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Do you have a photo of what you have, specifically the backbone ?
Thankyou for your interest ,i will take a couple of pictures tomorrow ,the boat is Florida built so maybe a little rare but i do vaguely remember somebody selling some parts after stripping out for replacement with nm2k on this forum ,i will have a search !

found it https://www.rib.net/forum/f10/yamaha...new-84087.html
Old 03 April 2022, 21:26   #4

RIBase
NMEA 2000 with yamaha backbone in place

Quote:
Thankyou for your interest ,i will take a couple of pictures tomorrow ,the boat is Florida built so maybe a little rare but i do vaguely remember somebody selling some parts after stripping out for replacement with nm2k on this forum ,i will have a search !

found it https://www.rib.net/forum/f10/yamaha...new-84087.html

A N2k network is a N2k network, pretty standard layout regardless of engine make. You should have a string of end to end “Ts” one for each device + one for power. A termination resistor at each end. Each device, be it engine, plotter, GPS puck, VHF etc. plugs into the “Device” Branch. The “Bus” ends connect together to form the backbone.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 04 April 2022, 19:43   #5

Thanks again ,your blunt explanation is helpful ,that is exactly what i have done but was,nt sure about the yam command link system and its comparison to nmea network ,
So what i have done is used the Bus connection 6 pin (includes power supply i think ) to link to an additional t piece nmea network with three additional tees and terminators
It would appear i had a senior moment re the 48 feet which was actually 48 degrees f which was yesterdays temp and there was no depth on either garmin ,hence why no depth was transfered but temp was
In hindsight i would have been better to run from device sockets on command link to the Garmins but 4 pin dropleads to 5 pin garmin cables dont seem to exist
Old 04 April 2022, 20:05   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks again ,your blunt explanation is helpful ,that is exactly what i have done but was,nt sure about the yam command link system and its comparison to nmea network ,
So what i have done is used the Bus connection 6 pin (includes power supply i think ) to link to an additional t piece nmea network with three additional tees and terminators
It would appear i had a senior moment re the 48 feet which was actually 48 degrees f which was yesterdays temp and there was no depth on either garmin ,hence why no depth was transfered but temp was
In hindsight i would have been better to run from device sockets on command link to the Garmins but 4 pin dropleads to 5 pin garmin cables dont seem to exist

Unless the boat is in the water, you wouldn’t normally get a depth reading. I’m not familiar with the Yam setup, so the aforementioned photo would help.
You might have to go into the settings on the plotter(s) to tell them what info to share on the data bus and to set which device is the source. I.e. you don’t want multiple devices putting the same info onto the bus.
Old 05 April 2022, 19:36   #7

Here is the aforementioned photograph of the yamaha system in my rib console ,there is a second bus rail in the engine area at the back ,they call it command link ,i have shown the electronic gauges which are wired from the sockets labelled "device" ,the engine is in a "device" port on the rear mounted bus rail (no photo ). i removed the left hand terminator and fed my mock up nmea 2k network from the rail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220405_170916_4.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	140184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220405_170945_8.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	140185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220405_170941_1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	140186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220405_171009_2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	140187  
Old 05 April 2022, 20:00   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Here is the aforementioned photograph of the yamaha system in my rib console ,there is a second bus rail in the engine area at the back ,they call it command link ,i have shown the electronic gauges which are wired from the sockets labelled "device" ,the engine is in a "device" port on the rear mounted bus rail (no photo ). i removed the left hand terminator and fed my mock up nmea 2k network from the rail

Did you put the terminator back in the other end of the bus by the engine? You shouldn’t have any empty “Bus” sockets.
Old 05 April 2022, 21:59   #9

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
https://www.bottomlinemarine.com/pro...862_7656.shtml
Old 06 April 2022, 05:46   #10

Thanks ,you confirm a couple of things for me ,i hadnt seen that cable ,my cable is same but genuine Honda £40 inc tee (could be different pin out but i dont think so as i have had engine data up on garmins )...but that does tell me that i am taking off at the right 6 pin bus connector ,not the 4 pin Device point which was one of my wonderings ...i think i am there really but just following my senior moment re the depth reading ,need to get out on the water ,cabin fever !
Hows the project going ?
PD i will check the terminator in the rear bus later today ...thx
Old 06 April 2022, 19:52   #11

Couple of pictures from the engine area and the honda part number in case any use to anybody
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220406_180100_3.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	140192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220406_175720_8.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	140193  
Old 06 April 2022, 20:16   #12

RIBase
I’m not convinced you should be coming off the “bus” connection, it’s basically the end of the backbone and needs terminated. you need to be coming from a “device” terminal as far as I can see. Yamaha want you to come off a “device”terminal in the multi hub with a 4pin pigtail in to a Yamaha interface hub that then has the NMEA output to join in to a “T” in the NMEA backbone.
Old 06 April 2022, 20:21   #13

RIBase
A quick google finds this, see the small black box on the left of the picture? That’s the Interface hub.

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	140194
Old 06 April 2022, 20:24   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Couple of pictures from the engine area and the honda part number in case any use to anybody
I take it that’s a second multi hub on the boat?
EDIT* apologies, read back in thread and found the answer.
Old 06 April 2022, 20:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
A quick google finds this, see the small black box on the left of the picture? That’s the Interface hub.

Attachment 140194
Yes this i find a little strange ,your picture shows this interface box ! however it is plugged to the device port which is a 4 pin cable with similar ends both ends ! but the bottom line marine cable (your link ) is a six pin which will only plug to the bus port ,like my honda and as i have done !!.........i think i will be all functioning once proven the depth will hopefully show on alongside the temp and voltage which is already there ,i have engine and fuel burn data so am optimistic
i really do think these interface boxes are a little bit of "sell them the black art stuff" ,after all if NMEA is an aligning of marine electronics my honda of 2014 has no need for a gateway so why should my yamaha ?
Yes the rear backbone is mounted in the rear inboard cavity !
The way i am now seeing this is the bus to garmin network is just an extension of the yam system to allow standard nmea 5 pin plugs
Old 31 July 2022, 19:08   #16

So after a few months of faffing about i have finally took the boat out with the garmin (4"with depth in the console ) and the 750 with no sonar mounted on aux bracket
set up as follows
Used ..Honda engine data lead from yam backbone (bus ) port to garmin starter kit T (£40 ish)
One drop cable to each Garmin device from garmin starter kit (£90 ish) Tees.
Broken the golden rule and have not put 12 volt supply to the garmin kit (have spare power supply lead )
Have not used any sort of interface black box !

So know have depth reading in the corner of the 750 which has no sonar repeated from 451s which does have depth
all engine /fuel data avail on both garmins
which i previously only had distance in KM if i wanted fuel burn in litres on the speed and fuel yam gauge

So as somebody said ,dont expect the sonar display on the non s garmin (and they were right ) but i have got depth which is what i missed and fuel tank info in litres

Tags
yamaha