Old 31 July 2022, 19:24   #1

Garmin Marine Network

Does anyone here have multiple Garmin chart plotters connected to a Garmin Marine Network?

Can you connect two plotters directly together using an ethernet cable, and can you share charts across it?
Old 02 August 2022, 08:03   #2

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
Yes.
Yes.
Yes, well I think so as both of mine came pre loaded.
Old 02 August 2022, 08:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill View Post
Yes.
Yes.
Yes, well I think so as both of mine came pre loaded.
Thanks, I've since found information online which confirms all of the above. We added a second unit much later on and didn't bother with the chart subscription as it's mounted right next to the primary one, but I like the idea of being able to use charts on both without paying a second subscription. Also syncing the settings across both and being able to set up display groups etc sounds really good. I will add an ethernet cable and report back.
Old 02 August 2022, 20:22   #4

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehguy View Post
Does anyone here have multiple Garmin chart plotters connected to a Garmin Marine Network?

Can you connect two plotters directly together using an ethernet cable, and can you share charts across it?
Sort of, you connect them to a Garmin GMS10 ethernet switch (also called a port expander).

Both my plotters are connected together and share everything, including charts, tansducers, and panoptix.
Old 02 August 2022, 20:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
Sort of, you connect them to a Garmin GMS10 ethernet switch (also called a port expander).

Both my plotters are connected together and share everything, including charts, tansducers, and panoptix.
If it’s just a pair of plotters there’s no need for the over priced Garmin switch.
Old 02 August 2022, 20:28   #6

Quote:
If it’s just a pair of plotters there’s no need for the over priced Garmin switch.
I'm not bothering with the Garmin switch or even the overpriced Garmin cable, I'll just use a regular ethernet cable as there's no risk of water there. Thanks 👍
Old 02 August 2022, 20:30   #7

Quote:
I'm not bothering with the Garmin switch or even the overpriced Garmin cable, I'll just use a regular ethernet cable as there's no risk of water there. Thanks 👍

I added my Fusion WB670 to the network with a 12v switch from Farnels at the recommendation of a Garmin dealer.
Old 02 August 2022, 20:33   #8

Quote:

I added my Fusion WB670 to the network with a 12v switch from Farnels at the recommendation of a Garmin dealer.
We are a commercial RIB with a console that's already full, definitely no room for a stereo 😂
Old 02 August 2022, 20:48   #9

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
You may fall foul of Garmin's EULA if it says you can only install the charts on one device.
Old 02 August 2022, 20:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
You may fall foul of Garmin's EULA if it says you can only install the charts on one device.
It is not "installing" the charts though, it is sharing them to a second Garmin device, and presumably only works while the second unit is connected to the Garmin network. If you take the SD card out of a unit with chart subscription and put it into a unit without a subscription the charts will not work. On the other hand, Garmin specifically promotes the feature of sharing charts across the marine network
Old 02 August 2022, 21:04   #11

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase

seems to suggest it is all OK.
Old 03 August 2022, 20:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post

seems to suggest it is all OK.
Very useful video, thanks. Interesting that you can select the sounder source if you have more than one. At the moment I have the primary Garmin showing charts and the second Garmin showing sonar. I am trying to get the depth reading on the primary screen but haven't figured out how to do it.

I had a look through the menus on both of the Garmin's and interestingly the secondary one did not show any detected N2K devices whereas the primary one could see everything (GPS, VHF, AIS etc). Did some testing and seem to have determined the N2K drop cable on the secondary Garmin was faulty but have not had time to replace yet. So I assume the sonar transducer is connected directly to the secondary Garmin. Hoping once I put a new N2K cable in AND the ethernet cable for the Marine Network I will be able to see the sonar on the primary, as well as use the charts on the secondary.
Old 09 August 2022, 19:42   #13

Cable connected today, both devices immediately detected the network. Charts now work on both devices, and I can use the sonar on device #1 even though the transducer is connected directly to device #2. Using the SmartView modes changes the display on both devices, with device #2 having a zoomed-out chart and device #1 having a very zoomed-in chart.

Next step is figuring out how to get the depth display on the chart view.
Old 10 August 2022, 09:11   #14

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

Next step is figuring out how to get the depth display on the chart view.

Dunno how Garmin do it, but on Lowrance plotters, you select “chart overlay” this allows you to create & configure text boxes on the chart display. You choose what info is displayed in each box.
E.g on mine, I have, depth, SOG, & position all displayed down the left hand side of the screen.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 19:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Dunno how Garmin do it, but on Lowrance plotters, you select “chart overlay” this allows you to create & configure text boxes on the chart display. You choose what info is displayed in each box.
E.g on mine, I have, depth, SOG, & position all displayed down the left hand side of the screen.
Found it, you have to use "edit overlay" and then you can select data overlays for the corners. Winner!