Old 09 August 2020, 13:21   #1

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jazcabel
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Petrol 150
Navionics charts

Hi there, I have a Simrad go7 which has had both a hard reset and software updates. I also have an in date and up to date charts on my micro sd.

For some reason I have a shaded out charts on my plotter screen that forbids me from seeing anything on the right of the screen. I’ve attached a pic for you to see, but has anyone ever seen this before and if so, is it a plotter issue or a chart issue?

Thanks in advanceClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5796.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	134527
Old 09 August 2020, 16:39   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanchan168 View Post
Hi there, I have a Simrad go7 which has had both a hard reset and software updates. I also have an in date and up to date charts on my micro sd.

For some reason I have a shaded out charts on my plotter screen that forbids me from seeing anything on the right of the screen. I’ve attached a pic for you to see, but has anyone ever seen this before and if so, is it a plotter issue or a chart issue?

Thanks in advanceAttachment 134527

What happens if you zoom out/in?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2020, 17:11   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I think PD is on the track here.

I get this with the Garmin charts on my small plotter, the handheld and when they are on the PC.

As you change the detail setting the detail of adj charts isn't always the same until the detail settings are at the higher end... or you zoom in more when they change to showing the same.

Here at Low detail setting the southern chart area is all but blank compared to the northern side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin Chart detail Low.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	134528  
Old 09 August 2020, 17:12   #4

But when I change the detail setting to Medium they show the same.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garmin Chart detail Medium.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	134529  
Old 09 August 2020, 22:12   #5

Doesn’t make a difference whether or not I zoom in or out. The shading stays. I don’t think it’s anything to do with detail as surely it would be across all of the chart and not a straight line down one half.

Hope that makes sense
Old 09 August 2020, 22:14   #6

Doesn’t change Pd. It’s not a detail issue as The line down the middle is perfectly straight. I can see everything to the left of the pic, but shaded red and pixilated on the right, regardless whether I zoom in or out
Old 10 August 2020, 07:28   #7

RIBase
Navionics charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanchan168 View Post
Doesn’t change Pd. It’s not a detail issue as The line down the middle is perfectly straight. I can see everything to the left of the pic, but shaded red and pixilated on the right, regardless whether I zoom in or out

If you scroll around, does the shaded area move around with the chart or does it stay in the same place on the screen? I’m trying to determine whether it’s chart related or screen related. If you zoomed out so that you could see the whole of the area covered by the chart, is the shaded area still taking up half of the screen or does it reduce in size? Which chart is it, 28XL?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 10 August 2020, 08:13   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
If you scroll around, does the shaded area move around with the chart or does it stay in the same place on the screen? I’m trying to determine whether it’s chart related or screen related. If you zoomed out so that you could see the whole of the area covered by the chart, is the shaded area still taking up half of the screen or does it reduce in size? Which chart is it, 28XL?

Also, have you updated the firmware on the unit? There was a Lowrance update last year to address Navionics display issues. Lowrance/Simrad, same kit.
Old 10 August 2020, 08:39   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Hmmm. What happens in other pages - Instruments or Steer or whatever? How about split page view? Looks as though half the screen is playing up - try a few combo pages and see what happens.
Old 10 August 2020, 08:43   #10

>>> don’t think it’s anything to do with detail as surely it would be across all of the chart and not a straight line down one half.

If you look again at my two images above again they show that this can happen along the line of a chart file boundary at different detail settings.

And to add to this idea... my Garmin charts are on my PC for my handheld and due to its smallish memory you have to select the charts you want on the PC and then copy to the unit each time you go to a different area. The charts are separated in areas which seem smaller than the way paper charts are split up so you often have to select several for a days cruising.

The thing is see the image below of Jersey and the yellow vertical line is the dividing line between two chart files. That line looks exactly the same place as your boundary between the correct and incorrect display so assuming Garmin and Navionics share the same base chart and assuming you are on a high detail setting excluding that as a factor then it seems your plotter isn't reading the right hand chart file which might be corrupted.

It's just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jersey chart files.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	134530  
Old 10 August 2020, 09:00   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
have you tried clearing the cursor
Old 10 August 2020, 12:39   #12

Quote:

Hi, no it moves when I scroll along, so I don’t think it’s a chart issue. When I zoom in it stays shaded but blocks out key details like rocks where I have a boat passage. It’s the small chart which is the 5g556 rather than the larger 28xl.
Old 10 August 2020, 12:40   #13

Quote:
Also, have you updated the firmware on the unit? There was a Lowrance update last year to address Navionics display issues. Lowrance/Simrad, same kit.
All updates to both charts and firmware of unit carried out and a hard reset done.
Old 10 August 2020, 12:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hmmm. What happens in other pages - Instruments or Steer or whatever? How about split page view? Looks as though half the screen is playing up - try a few combo pages and see what happens.
Same on combo or single screen. Spoke to local Simrad rep and he reckons it could be a shading issue in settings, which has been suggested on here.

Going to try it and he’s happy to talk me through.
Old 10 August 2020, 12:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> don’t think it’s anything to do with detail as surely it would be across all of the chart and not a straight line down one half.

If you look again at my two images above again they show that this can happen along the line of a chart file boundary at different detail settings.

And to add to this idea... my Garmin charts are on my PC for my handheld and due to its smallish memory you have to select the charts you want on the PC and then copy to the unit each time you go to a different area. The charts are separated in areas which seem smaller than the way paper charts are split up so you often have to select several for a days cruising.

The thing is see the image below of Jersey and the yellow vertical line is the dividing line between two chart files. That line looks exactly the same place as your boundary between the correct and incorrect display so assuming Garmin and Navionics share the same base chart and assuming you are on a high detail setting excluding that as a factor then it seems your plotter isn't reading the right hand chart file which might be corrupted.

It's just a thought.
That makes perfect sense and the line, as you say, is in exactly the same place.

I’ll see what the rep says.

Thanks all. Much appreciated