Old 29 November 2009, 17:38   #21

Length: 5m +
Yes, very interested in the depth limits for Humminbird side-imaging and Lowrance StructureScan.

Thanks for the detailed info.
Old 06 December 2009, 09:27   #22

Town: birmingham
Boat name: dawnraid
Make: ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ob 200hp
side scan

lowance side scan is supposed to be at london excel boat show in jan 2010
Old 06 December 2009, 18:12   #23

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
There is little infor on the mounting of the transducer and how it is fixed to the transom, some available shows it mounted to the middle of the hull which is hardly appropriate for a planing hull.
Anybody got better info?
The Humminbird site shows it mounted to the hull as per a normal transducer which won't work because of the outboard, how do you get round this other than pole mounting or making a towfish conversion?
Old 08 December 2009, 10:21   #24

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
This from our mates over the pond;

"PLEASE NOTE: Currently, the Lowrance LSS-1 StructureScan system is in process for CE-approval; therefore, the product will not be sold in countries requiring CE-approval (primarily outside the U.S.). When CE-approval is acheived, we will begin sales of the LSS-1 StructureScan system in the affected countries, and a notification will be posted here."
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2009, 14:56   #25

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Ran
Make: Tornado
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
Here is a scan made yesterday with my Humminbird 1197, with the new update. With this new Amber II pailette and a few other features is really an improvement and with the new "down imaging" feature as an update in 2010, I really dont think I will gain much with the LSS-1 and HDS 10.

Oh.. image is a 50 meter long wooden steamer, sank in 1883! 4m above the seafloor.

Henrik
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zaritza.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	48042  
Old 10 December 2009, 15:15   #26

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Hi Henrik
Have you any scans in the 50m (165 -170ft) range ?
I am led to understand this is beyond the max for side scan with the Hummingbird but wondered if your practical experience proves otherwise
Thanks
Jeff
Old 10 December 2009, 17:31   #27

Hi Jeff,

I have not done any scans deeper than 160 feet. I know of a few examples of deeper scans with ok result, but not done by me.

Here is a scan from Baltic sea. With these conditions I probably could have stretched it further. 100m long light cruiser from WWI. We are so lucky, that we have plenty of wrecks not deeper than this, so so far there is no need of gong deeper (we have found 6 new wrecks this year).

Henrik
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UndII scan.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	48043  
Old 11 December 2009, 18:06   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Hi Jeff,

I have not done any scans deeper than 160 feet. I know of a few examples of deeper scans with ok result, but not done by me.

Here is a scan from Baltic sea. With these conditions I probably could have stretched it further. 100m long light cruiser from WWI. We are so lucky, that we have plenty of wrecks not deeper than this, so so far there is no need of gong deeper (we have found 6 new wrecks this year).

Henrik
Those are great pictures. Thanks for posting.
Old 08 January 2010, 14:15   #29

structure scan

if any one goes to boat show in london have a look at the lowrance structure scan and humminbird 1197give your veiws on this post site . how deap will they go and can you see anything any way.ect ect
Old 17 January 2010, 19:20   #30

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
Humminbird.....way to go!!!

I bought my humminbird 987 Si about 4 years ago at what I considered a reasonable sum for Side imaging capability. The unit has been awesome. Have found a few wrecks, identifying the shape of rock formations, bottom hardness and scouring is all possible. All this talk of Down Imaging from Lowrance got me quite interested in the Lowrance units.

Last week Humminbird released a software update for their units to introduce Down Imaging, my unit at the time was not included but has since been added. Great service, a 4 year old unit with next generation software for no upgrade costs. Will be testing the down imaging this week so will save some screen shots (this is so easy as they get saved straight onto an sd card).

The only things that I would like to change for are a bigger screen for the chartplotter and more power / range when using sidescan. The side scan is good to about 40m depth. The usual 2d sounder is perfect in much deeper water and you can track your fishing rig 50m below the boat with ease.

The humminbird forums are a fantastic resource and the free PC software is great for managing wpts and routes. The 3rd party software available as mentioned above looks really exciting but I have not had time to try it. Would like to give Yellowfin a go sometime soon.

Old 16 April 2010, 19:43   #31

Update

Hi,

Finallly, I took the chance to change my Humminbird 1197 to a Lowrance HDS 10 with Structure scan module.

It was worth it. I have been out a few times. Its awesome. Feels like the HB is ancient history. The broadband sounder ("normal" echosounder) is never seen better anywhere and the side scan it just as good or even better in the 455 khz mode, but in the 800 khz its really impressive!!

I look forward to go and search for wrecks in the Baltic, here with no saltwater, the perfomance must be even better and I can test the limits.

On top of that, the plotter function is totally out of leage compared to the HB, but still not a Garmin.

Here is a some snapshots of the side scan and the broadband sonar. Look at the resolution of the 2D image. I haver never seen such chrisp images.

Regards
Henrik
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wreck.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	50411   Click image for larger version

Name:	2d.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	50412  
Old 18 April 2010, 16:18   #32

structure scan

you have now thrown me into termile i was about to purchase a hb 1109
your images on the hd last year were good but you say lowrance is better .
have you tried the side scan at 50 meters
is the gps faster & more accurate
do you use the unit for all function or have seperate mapping,gps
did you purchase in the eu if from the states have you a name
many thanks
Old 18 April 2010, 21:30   #33

Hi Paul,

Today I was out diving... and I am even more positive now, getting some experience with it The structure scan and the HDS - system is really really nice. I did not take some screenshots, forgot my SD card! I will post some more images soon.

Userfriendlyness - better than HB
Broadband sonar - better
Side scan - better (in 800 KHz - max. 25m, much better!) As if its a more chrisp image, it rolls in one gliding pace. The HB goes in (dont know how to put it in english) intervals not gliding?
Plotter curser - better, faster, more accurate
Waypoint management - better
Brightness - better

I do not have so much experience with the GPS part yet. I have a Garmin 4012 aside the Lowrance, and that is an awesome unit, so I use GPS in full screen on the Garmin and Side scan on the Lowrance, also i full screen.

The Baltic is still very very cold, so it will take a month or so before we go there diving and search for wrecks, but I am sure that I will not be disapointed, and I as long as it as good as the HB, then I am happy.

I have bought my unit in DK. I would like 2 year warrenty and this time, have it in metric (and I did not have a oppertunity to get it home from the states, with out shipping it normally and have to pay custom and vat).

HDS 10 with structurescan is 25.000 DKK and a HB 1197 is 30.000 DKK here in DK. Strange..

No doubt that I would go for the Lowrance.

Kind regards
Henrik
Old 19 April 2010, 07:38   #34

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Userfriendlyness - better than HB
Broadband sonar - better
Side scan - better (in 800 KHz - max. 25m, much better!) As if its a more chrisp image, it rolls in one gliding pace. The HB goes in (dont know how to put it in english) intervals not gliding?
Plotter curser - better, faster, more accurate
Waypoint management - better
Brightness - better

No doubt that I would go for the Lowrance.
An excellent review, thanks.
Old 25 April 2010, 01:29   #35

I am looking into this again, either replacing the 5" Lowrance plotter intergrated into the boat network and adding LSS or adding a standalone Humminbird beside the 5" plotter as an extra.
However I can't get my head around the Lowrance HDS range and both systems seem to be widely varying in price and only available from a few suppliers.
Any got recommendations on where and how much they can be got for?
I am currently looking for a number of aircraft in the 20-30m range and side imaging would make things a lot faster and easier!

The humminbird seems to have only 0183 and "Humminbird fishing system" comms, is this nmea 2000 or similiar?
Old 27 April 2010, 16:13   #36

Hopefully this is as good as you say as I have just ordered one today along with an HDS head unit....
Old 28 April 2010, 09:28   #37

Oh my god Bruce

Well.. if you dont like it, it your own fault. I have been out diving several times since last time I posted and I like it better and better.

Here is a shot from an old steamer which sank in 1906 in 40 meters of water. I have used the zoom in function on the stern of the wreck. The details are really great. You can even see trough the bars of the railing that goes around the stern!

Kindest
Henrik
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Agterenden af Robert - check søgelænder.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	50624  
Old 28 April 2010, 15:28   #38

Bl**dy 'ellfire. I only ordered them yesterday at 3pm and they are here already even though I live up the middle of nowhere!
Now, let get them fitted and see how good they are........
Old 28 April 2010, 15:50   #39

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Bl**dy 'ellfire. I only ordered them yesterday at 3pm and they are here already even though I live up the middle of nowhere!
Now, let get them fitted and see how good they are........
Hi Bruce lets us know how they do as I could be about to replace my Lowrance 3500c as it was dodgy last year!.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2010, 22:21   #40

It wasn't cheap so unless you need side imaging I am not sure I would buy it as a toy as I would probably spend the extra cash getting a larger screen on the plotter.
I dive as well and if the unit preforms as it is advertised there are loads of wrecks even in my area that are still to be found. There are at least 10 wrecks within three miles of my house that are still not found, or at least that are known about to have been found.
I now have the unit and have unpacked and assembled it all, if weather is good enough I will get out and start getting it fitted over the next few days and then try it out.
I am still not sure what connectivity I will have over the ethernet connections with my LCX-27, I know I won't get SI but hopefully still get the sounder and plotter functions going the other way to the new head unit, I hope!