Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Lowrance "Structure Scan"

New Sidescan kit

Video of it in action

Looks pretty good, however, it was shallow and flat calm.

Full Features Will Be Disclosed on Lowrance website – and at the Lowrance ICAST 2009 World Premier, Booth 1426 – on July 15, 2009, 09:00 EDT U.S. (GMT -5)
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2009, 08:26   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I like that, saves going diving to see whats down there. Might be overkill on my SR4?
Old 23 July 2009, 11:22   #3

Town: Leicester
Check this out;

Lowrance Update

Also some images here;

Sail-World

Looking good!
Old 23 July 2009, 14:44   #4

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Ran
Make: Tornado
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
Hi Simon,

I have also been following this Structure scan from Lowrance. Have you seen how DEEP it will do the scans? The Humminbird I have, does a ok job down to 45m. If the Lowrance cant do any deeper, then its of no interest for me.

Regards
Henrik
Old 23 July 2009, 15:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Hi Simon,

I have also been following this Structure scan from Lowrance. Have you seen how DEEP it will do the scans? The Humminbird I have, does a ok job down to 45m. If the Lowrance cant do any deeper, then its of no interest for me.

Regards
Henrik
Henrik,

From Sail-World article "Designed for use with Lowrance High Definition Systems (HDS), the innovative StructureScan features a combination of SideScan and exclusive new DownScan Imaging technology. SideScan provides full-screen left and right side-viewing with extra-crisp detail of up to 146m (480ft) of underwater coverage that displays structure and fish targets, as well as their imaging-scan shadows. The new DownScan Imaging feature allows anglers, for the first time, to see submerged detail directly beneath their boats, providing a complete underwater picture in a screen format that is easy to interpret.
"

Also claims to be able to image at upto 40kmh. It runs it's own transducer alongside the normal one but on different frequencies so will not interfere. Not sure if Humminbird does this or not.
Old 24 July 2009, 10:59   #6

Town: birmingham
Boat name: dawnraid
Make: ribcraft
Engine: ob 200hp
side scan

who will be the agents in the uk
what will be the price no doubt £/$
Old 24 July 2009, 11:24   #7

Hmm.. it sounds to deep to be true... Objects will show up really, really small on that range, with a transom mounted transducer. But if it will go down to 60m with really good results, then I am very happy, and have to sell some more coffee

As with the Humminbird, there is no or few deep scans available beside my own!

Henrik
Old 26 July 2009, 21:34   #8

Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Henrik,

SideScan provides full-screen left and right side-viewing with extra-crisp detail of up to 146m (480ft) of underwater coverage that displays structure and fish targets, as well as their imaging-scan shadows.
I think the 146m is the side-scan range - not the depth.

The Lowrance website says: "Select SideScan full-screen viewing for supercrisp detail with 480 ft./146 m side-to-side underwater coverage."

Not sure how deep it will go, but this looks like an incredible unit.

Diver, do you have the software to see your images on your computer? If so, do you have any really good images to share? (maybe a different topic would be best?).

grego
Old 27 July 2009, 09:04   #9

Hi,

It also think this means the side to side coverage. No one mentions anything about depth an all promotion videos/snapshots is of very shallow water. Useless to me.

The HB can save a screencapture of any setting, saves it as a normal JPEG, which can be view on allmost anything.

Here is a link to my images on a danish diving forum:

http://www.dykker-forum.dk/galleri.p...how_gal&id=101

Henrik
Old 27 July 2009, 09:31   #10

If the side to side scan is 480ft you'd think the down view would be half this so 240 so about 80 metres? Still ok for diving upto the beginings of more technical diving.
Old 27 July 2009, 11:01   #11

side scan

thank you DIVER for shairing your images .
it would be very usefull if huminbird or lawance could give the facility to reduce the dead area for the deeper scans . this dead area makes spoting unknown object difficult.
Old 19 August 2009, 10:30   #12

sstructure scan

the man from lawrance in uk says they may be in uk oct/nov
the uk is such a small market they dont care
Old 19 October 2009, 21:52   #13

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I seem to read that this will only work with the new HDS units because they have the ethernet connection.
My older units have the ethernet connector but will theis work with them? (LCX type)
Old 24 October 2009, 03:51   #14

Length: 5m +
I have done a lot of research on this and everything I have read has said the StructureScan add-on will only be available for HDS units.
Old 24 October 2009, 20:02   #15

stucture scan

i have been holding off purchasing the humminbird 1198 ,till the launch of the lowrance structure scan in oct 2009 so far no show acourding to the uk rep ,navico who dont have a clue what it is let alone how deap it goes in side scan. denmark diver scans back in july were very good. can any divers in uk post images from humminbird and knowlage of lawance .just got back from dive show at nec very poor
Old 15 November 2009, 09:09   #16

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Kraken
Make: Humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evivrude ETEC 250hp
Send a message via Skype™ to jbretel
HB over Lowrance - for the support forums, advice and 1000's of hours of experience !

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul holder View Post
thank you DIVER for shairing your images .
it would be very usefull if huminbird or lawance could give the facility to reduce the dead area for the deeper scans . this dead area makes spoting unknown object difficult.
Hi There,

I have owned a Humminbird 987C SI for 4 years and it's frickin awesome !

This thread has the scope to run and run by the way..............

To answer your question - The "dead" area is mapped by the trad 2D view on older units (mine) But........ there is a new "down imaging" function that shows the "dead" area passing under the boat in a 3D side-scan style on all new HumminB and Lowrance SI units.

HB Screen capture showing Side Image and Down Image (the tree has just been passed over and the top left show the sonar back from the central cone - not covered by the Side Imaging sonar)

One great thing about Humminbird is they offer constant software upgrades once you buy a unit (just register the unit at their site) - so that my unit has 90% functionality of the 2009 brand new units - even though I bought it in 2005 - awesome - I will be able to upgrade to "SI Down Imaging" in January - yippee - thanks HB !

See the HB website for more details about coverage and functions :-

http://www.humminbird.com/leading_in...ird-sonar.aspx

HB have lots of users and tons and tons of advice from people who have been using these units for many thousands of hours - from shallow Fresh Water USA fishermen, to deep diving Norwegian Techinical divers.

See these 2 HumminBird SI dedicated forums for tons of feedback, images and advice.

http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/index.php (Unofficial HummB SI forums - with very helpful members - two who work for HummB)

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/ (Newer forum but just as information-packed).

Oh - and here's the clincher for me, if I was making the decision all over again:-

The HummB units will actually RECORD and store ALL information in a 100% information capture mode, Meaning you can go back later and view your trackprogress with all Side-Imaging History and GPS Chart location History, in any of the 12+ different screen views available when in LIVE mode

You can scroll through and review your trip-history recording in any different screen - (very, very, very useful) from the point you started the recording - to the point you stopped (the length of recording is only limited by the size of your 2nd SD memory card (buy a dozen 8Gb cards and you can effectively record all day !) and..............

If you download some 3rd party 3D Seabed Mapping software - (see image below) www.drdepth.se -

you can build 3D Maps of your favourite fishing / diving sites (which you can twirl around and look at from any perspective) and reference them by GPS position,

(see the two forums for details of all the other software that's available)

And with HumViewer software (from - http://humviewer.cm-johansen.dk/ - see below for image)

which is totally free and developed by a forum member - You can also view underwater structures you have recorded, mark their position (as all GPS, Depth and distance from sonar positions are stored and recorded and can be identified and highlighted by moving a cursor ANYWHERE over the Side-Image recording from the farthest point Left to the farthest point right, and from the start to the end of the recording regardless of distance

Hey you can even measure the size of an underwater structure using a click and drag measurement selection tool - which is pretty accurate !

So just switch on the recording function, troll a grid over your fav dive/fish site, build a 3D map of the seabed (www.DrDepth.se,) review your recordings, mark any structures of interest (HummViewer) - all whilst on your PC at home in the warm, then load the Waypoints back to your unit, and go back and fish / dive them at a later date.

Look..... basically - until you own one of these units, you will not understand why 99% of owners are utterly fanatical about them - they will totally transform your fishing / diving / boating experience................. I absolutely, categorically, fundamentally kid you not.

Its like using a typewriter and then jumping straight on to a PC - the difference is astonishing.

They do take time to set/up and perfect (there are lots of sensitivity settings etc) but read the forums, and you will be 90% of the way there before you start !

So go and dig out and sell whatever stuff you have in your loft/garage that you don't physically need to survive, list it on ebay, and go and invest the funds you raise in an HumminBird Side-imaging unit (get one with GPS Mapping if you can afford it - although there is NMEA functionality if your technically minded, to connect up other units).

I have no affiliation with HummB, but will say that the unit has transformed my diving and fishing experiences beyond all recognition.

You will never have made a better purchase than buying one of these units if you truly want to understand where you are fishing/diving.

Now go and justify the outlay to your wife/husband/partner (delete as appropriate)

My next project is to build a towfish (see below) - to get perfect wave-free images (I live in the Channel Islands and force 3 with two foot chop is considered a calm day !!) - not ideal for trolling in for a 6m RIB

Oh and Heads up - if you buy a unit from the USA (and save ££'s) you will not be able to view depth in metres (only feet or fathoms) or set the time to GMT (only USA regions) - there is no work around for this - I have spent many hours checking - but its not critical if you can do basic math in your head (3.3ft to a mtr !!!!) and wear a watch.

All information in exported files (for mapping etc) contains both mtrs & feet (and can be viewed in the software in mtrs of ft) - its the units serial code that restricts viewing to ft / fathms to protect International importers of these units - tough, coz I bought mine from the states and am happy with the compromise.

I've adapted and I saved close to a thousand pounds - four years ago - a small price to pay (and mental arithmetic is good for the brain !)

Oh and with the Hummview software and HumminbirdPC you can view your waypoints on Google earth !

Have fun !

JB
Old 15 November 2009, 10:07   #17

structure scan

thank you for your excellent post very helpfull
Old 15 November 2009, 10:55   #18

stucture scan

we are about to take the plung
have you a e mail address & or a telephone number .as can be sean from below i have lots of questions thanks for your help
i to can covert ft to meters & being old think in impl any way
if i go to the states any recomended supplyer as you say this will save £1000
will the navico uk charts work
i have been given dire wornings about no ce mark no service & they just wont work any way from uk distributers
i have thought of installing the transducer (puck) on a retractable pole so when trawling the pole is down below the skeg & will avoid the prop wash then up for moving to site.
i have allso been told that the gps is wooly it wont put you back on the way piont because it is set to us saterlites
Old 16 November 2009, 09:26   #19

Hi,

Nice pro HB post...!

I would still wait till there comes some deep water tests from Lowrance..

Henrik
Old 16 November 2009, 14:56   #20

Town: Co. Clare
Make: Redbay
Engine: Inboard diesel Yamah
Hb

What an interesting and useful post from jbretel. Thanks for the effort and detail.

Tell me, JB, to what depths can you gain useful data in the sea?

Thanks,

P