Old 28 January 2008, 13:49   #1

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Lowrance plotters engine software

I have been looking at various Lowrance chartplotter combos that are compatible with the new suzuki outboards.
I usually use garmin but am looking for opinions on Lowrance.
Any good? charts OK? waterproof? And what units are compatible with the Suzi outboards and any recommendations on which unit to buy and where?
Old 28 January 2008, 16:55   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
My newish LMS-520C failed after about 4 months. Removing it from the console, found it was half full of water. Sent it back, they sent a new unit a week or two later. It's only been out once or twice, so we'll see how this one stands up.

Charts (US based; don't know about UK/Europe) are OK, but adding a Navionics chip helps immensely.

jky
Old 28 January 2008, 18:00   #3

Maybe I ought to clarify my question.
What Lowrance plotters will plug in and read the Suzuki outboard and what did anybody think of the one they had.
I know the LMS-522 does this but I am unclear what orthers do the same job. I am espeially interested in the larger screen models, especially the combined sounder/gps versions.
I am also curious about the Lowrance multifunction gauges as the online info is unclear. Can these be linked to a Lowrance plotter to display any readings the plotter does? ie depth, fuel flow etc?
I only need a graphical sounder and speed rarely but would like depth and speed showing somewhere. I was thinking of saviong space by fitting a combined unit but also one or two multifunction gauges to repeat this info meaning I can have just the chart running as large as possible 99% of the time.
Does this sound plausible and reasonable as far as technically possible?
Old 28 January 2008, 19:02   #4

Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
I use an 8200c with navionics charts.

I'm very happy with it. Its easy to use, bright and clear. As far as I know as long as you use nmea 2000 stuff then most data can be shared.

They have just released a software update to allow the use of platinum charts along with general upgrades to the the os.

If you want specific techie questions answered speak to jkmax, very helpful guy.

I had a look at a demo unit on a susuki last year, looked very good and easy to setup. Depending on the age of you engine you may be able to plug nmea 2000 directly into it
Old 28 January 2008, 19:16   #5

The motor is brand new, I may get a free plotter but in case I don't I was thining of buying one with a larger screen that would do the same job, just not as familiar with Lowrance as I am with garmins and how they work.
Old 28 January 2008, 19:17   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Bruce,

Have you found this part of the lowrance website... it will let you try out the user interfaces and mapping quality etc on any of the products listed.

Neil
Old 28 January 2008, 19:20   #7

Cheers, downloading as we speak for a play around. I am thinking of the LCX 27 or 37 models if they do what I want, unless suzi spring for the LMS 522 I am supposed to get free with the DF 90............
Old 29 January 2008, 20:05   #8

Length: 4m +
Any NMEA2000 Lowrance unit will display data from a recent Suzuki engine when using the appropriate interface cable. This includes all 2008 LCX's, GlobalMaps and some echosounders.

One exception is the GM5150 which is not NMEA2000.

Any device data on the network such as engine info (inc.fuel flow) and GPS data from the NMEA2K antenna is available to any connected display such as a multi function gauge, plotter or combination unit.

TT
Old 09 February 2008, 17:19   #9

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Lowrance

Lowrance and Suzuki
We connect engines to screen and display the info on the 525, the 112 and the 9500 on our boats
It is straightforward to network the lot - if I had a complaint the cable engine to network could be longer to put the joint somewhere relatively dry. Having said that we have not had a problem to date.
Spend the money and go for a 'more modern technology' screen like the 37c or the 112 - much clearer and noticeable when compared directly side by side

Tony
Old 09 February 2008, 20:57   #10

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Suzuki to Raymarine

Bruce

Have you considered Raymarine with the Suzui connectivity?

rgds

Peter