Old 13 February 2022, 13:21   #1

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Garmin Chartplotter / Suzuki Engine

I'm in the process of upgrading to a 7m (ish) RIB.

All the contenders are going to require a Chartplotter upgrade, and have either a circa 2010 Suzuki 175 or Suzuki 200.

If possible I'd like to stick to Garmin, because of familiarity, and have shortlisted the Garmin ECHOMAP UHD & Garmin GPSMAP.

I really like the fact my current Suzuki 60 talks to the Garmin 750S on my 4.8m Ribcraft, and as well as the 'basic' data, I get useful info such as Fuel Rate / Range / Economy.

I can't find reference to these features in the manuals of the newer models but surely they are 'capable' of this and more?

I 'd appreciate and input on this and any broader recommendations.
Old 13 February 2022, 15:29   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
You’ll need a Suzuki NMEA 2000 interface cable specific to your engine year. The older ones are becoming difficult to source. I’m not sure which version you’ll need off hand.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 15:50   #3

Thanks PD, do you happen to know if the functionality I’m getting like range, economy etc will then be available on the newer models of Garmin Chartplottet?
Old 13 February 2022, 16:32   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestman View Post
Thanks PD, do you happen to know if the functionality I’m getting like range, economy etc will then be available on the newer models of Garmin Chartplottet?

Sorry, can’t help on that one I’m afraid. I’ve little/no experience of Garmin kit. I prefer Lowrance.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 17:11   #5

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Cant help with suzuki however i am wondering what the extent of nmea 2000 compatible engine really means ? with my 2014 honda 100 ,i simply bought honda engine lead (main dealer £40 ish) ,garmin starter kit and plugged into 750 s ,and had everything you speak of . Now the slightly amazing bit ... i had a second honda lead which i tried into my yamaha 115 backbone and sure enough it was the same as honda ,so bought another garmin starter kit .
What i am thinking is are the interface leads maybe all the same ?? that would appear to be my expierience with honda and yamaha so guess thats why the standard exists
Old 13 February 2022, 21:11   #6

Interesting OB,

Note you also have a 750s. I’d be surprised if the more modern Garmin’s didn’t offer at the least the same level of functionality - but I’d appreciate someone confirming as I can’t find anything in their online manuals…
Old 13 February 2022, 22:38   #7

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestman View Post
Interesting OB,

Note you also have a 750s. I’d be surprised if the more modern Garmin’s didn’t offer at the least the same level of functionality - but I’d appreciate someone confirming as I can’t find anything in their online manuals…
Garmin tech support are some of the best guys and girls you will ever ask for help ,they will sort you within hours with emails and even links to upgrade to latest software etc ,last time i spoke about a variation i had between a red plug on 750 s and grey on my 450 they sent me foc a red plug assembly .give them a ring ,they wont let you down or baffle you with bs
Old 14 February 2022, 16:23   #8

Thanks, spoke to Garmin and as you said, super helpful. Promised me a reply tomorrow. Cheers
Old 15 February 2022, 08:00   #9

Town: Poole
Make: Brig
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard petrol 115h
I have a 2021 Garmin Echomap UHD and Suzuki DF115 and the echomap does show engine data - I've not played much with it yet, so can't remember exactly what it shows.
Old 16 February 2022, 18:31   #10

From Garmin

"Yes, they will both show you fuel flow range and economy on the screens once you have set up how you wish to see this on the page.
The GPSMAP will look different from the Ecomap range but they will show the information."

Tags
suzuki