Old 30 July 2008, 23:13   #21

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Is that the place you ordered from? postage cost and delivery time OK?
Old 30 July 2008, 23:19   #22

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
We........lll, the thought of acting the stereotypical non yachtie (in their minds) for a laugh did cross my mind,
Anchor beside some yachts and crank up the stereo and wave around a few bottles of wine sort of thing, you know how we are viewed in some quarters.........

Yes well dont do anything to dissuade that bad boy image bowie knife in teeth etc etc.. god .. if the hard boaters saw this thread they'd feel a compulsion to polish their rings ever more fervently.. hold on .. garFie will be along in a minute
Old 31 July 2008, 01:25   #23
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Yes well dont do anything to dissuade that bad boy image bowie knife in teeth etc etc.. god .. if the hard boaters saw this thread they'd feel a compulsion to polish their rings ever more fervently.. hold on .. garFie will be along in a minute
Careful...I polished my hull yesterday. I'm getting strange urges.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2008, 18:10   #24

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Is that the place you ordered from? postage cost and delivery time OK?
Yes, they got everything you might need and very cheap. Delivery was quick and fairly priced so no problems at all.
Old 31 July 2008, 21:00   #25

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
mp3 with fm radio http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Samsung-Napste...3286.m63.l1177
i have one, had it about 3 years and no problems with it, i think it cost about £40
Old 31 July 2008, 21:10   #26

That model is discontinued but after a fair amount of online searching for a bespoke unit that can be mounted inside a console it looks like the Poly planar or similiar with a seperate MP3 player feeding it may be the only way to go.
There are MP3/tuner players with 4GB for around £30 or a bit more. Has anybody tried the tuner on these inside a console?
Old 01 August 2008, 01:01   #27

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
Quote:
That model is discontinued but after a fair amount of online searching for a bespoke unit that can be mounted inside a console it looks like the Poly planar or similiar with a seperate MP3 player feeding it may be the only way to go.
There are MP3/tuner players with 4GB for around £30 or a bit more. Has anybody tried the tuner on these inside a console?
i thought they were probably discontinued , but for a 20gb mp3 with a tuner and facility to record from the tuner to mp3 they were so much better than an ipod at the time and for a lot less money, ipods for £40 at the time just didnt exist and ipods for £80 just annoyed you by not displaying the track playing and then shuffling to some hip hop crap that your mrs had downloaded just to piss you off,
my wife has even put britney spears toxic on mine several times when she has been feeling particularly spiteful
Old 01 August 2008, 06:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
my wife has even put britney spears toxic on mine several times when she has been feeling particularly spiteful
Now that is evil
Old 02 August 2008, 08:55   #29

Town: Forres
How about one of these?

It says you can fit an external remote to it so you could mount the head unit out the way and the remote on the console.

And it has a radio!!
Old 04 August 2008, 05:03   #30

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Engine: 225 Opti
I have one of these supplied and fitted by rib-shop and it is awesome. The speakers are those supplied with the unit and it sounds great even at 40kts with an opti 225 on the back at WOT. One of the best things I have bought in a long time.

Was going to fit it myself but the price they offered was very good including installation.
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2008, 12:31   #31

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
HAve to agree with Stuart - a mate has one on his new BWM with 150 etec on it . I was going to get one, but its the wrong size for the 'hole' I have. I went with std sony marine unit & IPOD seperate in, I then have the snoy remot on the panel , but I cant control the IPOD form that - I just send the kids/ wife to the cabin to skip tracks, or mute it for a few mins & see what comes up next ! (there are something like 20,000 songs on my ipod - most of which rank close to Britney S , if not worse ! ) I do aim to play something like the dam busters as I race up the river at 4knts ! . The Jaws them with new 'ribbers' on the boat works well to !
Old 28 September 2008, 12:42   #32

I ended up getting the Poly Planar amplifier and a cheap 4GB Mp3 player/radio. It works fine and is loud enough to be clearly heard at full chat on the motor.
Its certainly better than listening to the missus singing ABBA tunes out loud
Old 22 November 2008, 15:23   #33

Anybody had problems with the Poly Planar amplifier?
Mine seems to stop working every now and again, be crackly sometimes and there is a slight whiff of burning insulation every now and again.
I have only had one day so far out of the three days out since I fitted it where it worked properly.
It is wired and fused to the manufacturers instructions and I just tried it again tonight. Very crackly for a minute or two, then fine and when switched off the smell was there again, very faint.
It is a bit of a job getting to it so don't want to keep taking it in and out until I know whats wrong.
Old 22 November 2008, 15:54   #34

Quote:
Anybody had problems with the Poly Planar amplifier?
Mine seems to stop working every now and again, be crackly sometimes and there is a slight whiff of burning insulation every now and again.
I have only had one day so far out of the three days out since I fitted it where it worked properly.
It is wired and fused to the manufacturers instructions and I just tried it again tonight. Very crackly for a minute or two, then fine and when switched off the smell was there again, very faint.
It is a bit of a job getting to it so don't want to keep taking it in and out until I know whats wrong.
Is the impedance of the speakers that are connected suitable for the amp ? and if so could there be a fault with one of them , like its gone closed circuit or something ? Sounds like a thermal cut out is getting activated
Old 22 November 2008, 16:09   #35

Speakers are as supplied with the kit. I agree its the amplifier but was wondering if anybody had problems with these before or I have managed to find a brand new fault!
Old 22 November 2008, 18:18   #36

Quote:
Speakers are as supplied with the kit. I agree its the amplifier but was wondering if anybody had problems with these before or I have managed to find a brand new fault!
Its not inconceivable that one of the speakers has gone duff if they've been poorly manufactured though, since they are the driven load, I'd haul them out and check them first, or just disconnect them and run the amp again without a load and see what it does
Old 17 December 2008, 23:01   #37

I ended up only getting round to looking at this last night, its not been the best of weather for working outside these last few weeks.
I ended up just buying a new set of marine speakers to swop over and when I took out the old ones found one with a dead short. Hopefully this should be the problem and when the new ones are in it should be all OK.
I am having to wait for a second replacment set though as I just assumed all "marine" speakers were anti-magnetic, it seems they are not!
A second new pair of Clarions on the way while the other replacement Boss's are on the way back along with the original Poly Planars as defective.
In the weather up here recently the only use I am getting from the boat is listening to the MP3 player under the boat cover so it needs fixing!
Old 18 December 2008, 06:37   #38

A short between one of the inputs and the speaker frame/chassis do you mean ?
Old 18 December 2008, 12:11   #39

Nope, across the speaker inputs. One speaker shows 4 ohms and the other 0 ohms resistance.
I am aware that the 4 ohms rating on speakers is impedance rather than resistance but one of them is obviously wrong!
I should have the new Clarions before the weekend and if it all works then thats what it was...
Old 21 December 2008, 14:10   #40

So its driving a short then, that explains the thermal cutout. Sometimes if the speaker cone is not centered perfectly the coil rubs on the magnet or chassis stripping all the insulating laquer off the coil, then current can leak or short across large sections of coil thereby almost giving closed circuit in extreme cases But if it wasnt defective manufacture that caused it, the other reason is, if the speaker gets constantly 'overdriven' beyond its capacity. In this scenario the coil heats up a lot, and expands, and the laquer burns and its insulating efficacy dissapears, together with the coil expansion, you are back to the same scenario as above, but you can usually hear this before total failure takes place, as the cone will sound 'buzzy'. Any chance of warranty ?